Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

How to Separate Home Page SEO from CAT & Product pages?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 11-09-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Re: How to Separate Home Page SEO from CAT & Product pages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
Possibly, but I have never seen that happen. In any event, product_meta.php goes in the root, meta.tpl goes in skin1 (but you don't replace your current file, you amend it with what is in the new meta.tpl) product_keywords.tpl goes in skin1/admin/main, and product_keywords.php goes in admin.

Thank for taking the time once again balinor! Moving forward.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:55 AM

X-Adept

I have been reviewing my site's meta data and found the following problem that I am unable to resolve at the moment.

The site META description and META keywords entered in admin> "SEO options"
appear on every page. I am using all of the BCS mod's to show unique descriptions and keywords but this seems impossible with the current structure.

If I leave the (SEO Options) description and keyword fields empty then the category and product pages show their own unique meta data but the home page has no meta data. Is there a way to hard code the meta description and keywords in home.tpl like you can with the title?

EWD Hosting | CDSEO Pro | One Page Checkout | Smart Search | Telafirma Dynamic Images | X-AOM | Product Importer Pro and many custom mods and tweaks found here...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 AM

X-Adept

This community, and it's moderators, have simply got to quit answering so many questions with an ad for third party software. Inbox News wanted a simple thing, he wanted to know how to have meta keywords and meta description on his Index.html or home.php, whichever the case might be. He did not have to buy a third party workaround that will now create more work than needed for whst he wanted originally

Fact is.... I would like this too and I own all of the BCS Mods pertaining to the subject. Why would I want to enter manually or by CSV thousands of category and product meta tags when the question is simply...

How does a person, without using 3rd party products, insert meta keywords and meta description into home.php and it's index.html counterpart without adding them to every category and product page?
MySQL server 5.0.87-community
Operation system Linux
Perl 5.008008
dogbytecomputer.com
Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 AM

Veteran

If you want to simply create a unique set of META tags for the home page, just open up meta.tpl and use an {if} statement to override the default code for the home page only.

However, that doesn't solve the issue of having garbage default code in your category, product and static page tags, which is why I suggested the BCS mods. If you don't want to be bothered with entering unique META data for all for all of your pages, that's fine, but it is not the correct solution if you want to fully optimize your site.

As for not posting third party mod solutions, when they are the right solution, I post them. I am not affiliated with any of the vendors, I don't get paid by them, and I'm not advertising for them. But 9 times out of 10, the correct solution to questions in this forum IS a third party solution.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
If you want to simply create a unique set of META tags for the home page, just open up meta.tpl and use an {if} statement to override the default code for the home page only.

However, that doesn't solve the issue of having garbage default code in your category, product and static page tags, which is why I suggested the BCS mods. If you don't want to be bothered with entering unique META data for all for all of your pages, that's fine, but it is not the correct solution if you want to fully optimize your site.

As for not posting third party mod solutions, when they are the right solution, I post them. I am not affiliated with any of the vendors, I don't get paid by them, and I'm not advertising for them. But 9 times out of 10, the correct solution to questions in this forum IS a third party solution.

Then simply you did not understand his question, which was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inboxnews
How do I separate the SEO meta tags (Description, Keyword tags) from the home page and category/product pages.

If I delete the SEO description/tags on the SEO Options page in General Settings, it resolves my problem of removing the home page SEO from the category and product pages, BUT it also removes my description and keyword tags from the home page.

I want SEO description/tags on the home page exclusive to that page. Is this not possible in x-cart?

Any way to resolve this? Or is this a bug in version 4.18?

Thanks.

Clearly his question was the same as mine and therefore should of been answered the same as mine. Nowhere do I see him asking to remove the trash, which I do using the BCS mod. However when you deal with thousands of products and categories you would like to have the trash without the homepage crap until you get around to changing it.

I'm not trying to start a flame... I just honestly feel like I see 3rd party products too often as the answer to questions like above. It's my opinion. I bet he could of had this done for very few support points by X-Cart.

Now for those interested let's dig into the code and get a solution...
Operation system Linux
Perl 5.008008
dogbytecomputer.com
Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 AM

Veteran

*sigh* You are so missing the point, and if you really want to use X-Cart support to answer SEO questions, when they clearly have no clue when it comes to SEO, feel free. In any event, if you simply want to show unique META data on the home page, it is a very simple use of an {if} statement in customer/home.tpl:

{if $main eq "catalog" and $current_category.category eq ""}

home page meta data here

{else}

{include file="meta.tpl" }

{/if}
Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
*sigh* You are so missing the point, and if you really want to use X-Cart support to answer SEO questions, when they clearly have no clue when it comes to SEO, feel free. In any event, if you simply want to show unique META data on the home page, it is a very simple use of an {if} statement in customer/home.tpl:

{if $main eq "catalog" and $current_category.category eq ""}

home page meta data here

{else}

{include file="meta.tpl" }

{/if}

Ryan,

With all due respect... You are so missing the point.

I see it like this.

The BCS mods have helped me many, many times and I use the MODS for products and categorys.

The point you are missing is for the purpose of the question we or I don't care what 3rd party mod fixes it or makes it better. Suggest one if you like, we/I won't mind, probably will even appreciate it. But above all else give the code answers, just like above, when known. That my friend is a complete answer with options. We/I love options, they make us warm inside.
Operation system Linux
Perl 5.008008
dogbytecomputer.com
Old 03-04-2008, 08:12 AM

Veteran

I'm so sorry...I'll refrain from providing any solutions that might be construed as third party to you from now on or may in any way shape or form benefit you other than the bare minimum solution. I hate thinking outside the box anyway, it so overrated.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:26 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
I'm so sorry...I'll refrain from providing any solutions that might be construed as third party to you from now on or may in any way shape or form benefit you other than the bare minimum solution. I hate thinking outside the box anyway, it so overrated.

Look, I be busy man, thanks to X-Cart and this community. So I am responding just this once more. Again... Did you not see

"Suggest one if you like, we/I won't mind, probably will even appreciate it. But above all else give the code answers, just like above, when known."

I'm not asking you to not suggest Ryan. I am asking you to present options up front, when available. I probably own more third part stuff than most people here. This is not an indictment of third party MODS, it is a plea for OPTIONS in the answers on this Forum.

Answer with code,template and 3rd Party options. I fail to see what is so unreasonable about that.
Operation system Linux
Perl 5.008008
dogbytecomputer.com
Old 03-28-2008, 06:48 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:

Balinor,

mind sharing where to place the {if} statement in meta.tpl? I placed an {else} after
{if $current_category.meta_descr ne "" and $config.SEO.include_meta_categories eq "Y"}, but does not remove the description/keywords from the homepage. I also played with other options, but when something works well the others stops working. Been playing with the tags for hours...

Your help will be appreciated.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design