Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Inventory Import with HTML tags

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 10-23-2016, 08:34 PM

Question Inventory Import with HTML tags

I have got a question for everyone as I am hoping that someone, somewhere, has faced this issue before.

We utilize a couple of drop shippers for our inventory. In the supplied inventory files which contain thousands of items the item descriptions often have html tags such:

USB 3.0 Interface Is Up To 10x Faster Than USB 2.0 Interface<li> New Retractable Design Shields USB Connector In Transit<li> Faster Data Transfer Than USB 2.0 Drive<li> Password Protection Software Available For Download<li> Lifetime Limited Warranty<li> Gray<li> Works With Windows Operating System Only<li>

Yet when this is imported into xCart the HTML tags are not utilized. An example of this particular item can be found at HERE

This also happens with many of our titles as they contain the quotation tags or other html tags as well, as you will also see at the above link in the item title.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how this can be corrected on a large scale?

The following user thanks toddpatterson for this useful post:
josebueso (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 09:50 PM

eXpert

Default Re: Inventory Import with HTML tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddpatterson
I have got a question for everyone as I am hoping that someone, somewhere, has faced this issue before.

We utilize a couple of drop shippers for our inventory. In the supplied inventory files which contain thousands of items the item descriptions often have html tags such:

USB 3.0 Interface Is Up To 10x Faster Than USB 2.0 Interface<li> New Retractable Design Shields USB Connector In Transit<li> Faster Data Transfer Than USB 2.0 Drive<li> Password Protection Software Available For Download<li> Lifetime Limited Warranty<li> Gray<li> Works With Windows Operating System Only<li>

Yet when this is imported into xCart the HTML tags are not utilized. An example of this particular item can be found at HERE

This also happens with many of our titles as they contain the quotation tags or other html tags as well, as you will also see at the above link in the item title.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how this can be corrected on a large scale?

Hello Todd.

I have to import inventory with a lot of html tags, I use MS Excel to clean my data you can install a plug in "ASAP UTILITY" It has a lot great features for that, or use find and replace feature on excel.

Hope this help.

Blessing

Saul
www.uncionmusic.com

www.uncionmusic.com
Old 10-24-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josebueso
Hello Todd.

I have to import inventory with a lot of html tags, I use MS Excel to clean my data you can install a plug in "ASAP UTILITY" It has a lot great features for that, or use find and replace feature on excel.

Thank you for the suggestion. But you are still having to search manually for each individual HTML tag and correct them, right? It would seem that this is quite exhaustive when you take into account the hundreds of possible tags which could be contained in a single file.

We have purchased the utility from xCart which is supposed to allow us to import/export using an excel file however I have not been able to get the import routine to work with an excel file without first still converting it to a CSV file. The exporting works great to an excel file but not the import.

I was hoping that by using the excel import it would help solve a problem such as this. I also tried to change the encoding during import, which also did not work.

Todd
Old 10-24-2016, 11:48 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddpatterson
Thank you for the suggestion. But you are still having to search manually for each individual HTML tag and correct them, right? It would seem that this is quite exhaustive when you take into account the hundreds of possible tags which could be contained in a single file.

We have purchased the utility from xCart which is supposed to allow us to import/export using an excel file however I have not been able to get the import routine to work with an excel file without first still converting it to a CSV file. The exporting works great to an excel file but not the import.

I was hoping that by using the excel import it would help solve a problem such as this. I also tried to change the encoding during import, which also did not work.

Todd

Hello Todd.

Use the ASAP excel utility it has en option to clean HTML tags. I have to work with over 50K items and it has save me 1000's of hours of work.

Blessing

Saul
www.uncionmusic.com

www.uncionmusic.com
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)