Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Disable UPS and FedEx for P.O. Boxes

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 01-07-2010, 08:32 AM

X-Wizard

Post Disable UPS and FedEx for P.O. Boxes

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any failed or lost orders due to the implementation of this modification. It is up to you to fully test it on a staging system before deploying it to production.

This tends to be a relatively annoying issue for a lot of people. A customer order's and item (usually a rather large item) and has it shipped to a P.O. Box only to have UPS or FedEx reject the delivery. While it is true they can ship to Post Office Boxes not all of them are either accessible to UPS/FedEx or they are too small for the parcel in question. Unfortunately X-Cart by default gives no option for people to disable shipping via these methods to those addresses.

We've been using this modification for the past 2 years (though with slightly different logic) so I've decided to strip out the code sealed under NDA and share the open version with everyone else.

Note: The following modification was written around X-Cart versions 4.1 and 4.2 and has not been tested for 4.3.

The first file you need to modify is shipping/myshipper.php. Open the file and at the very bottom of the code add the following function:

PHP Code:
// {{{ func_is_postal_box()
/**
 * This function checks to see if the customer's
 * shipping address is a United States Post Office
 * Box.
 * @param string $address Customer's Street Address
 * @return boolean true if post office box; false if not
 */
function func_is_postal_box($address) {

$postalBoxRegex '/^([pP]{1}(.*?)[oO]{1}(.*?))?([bB][oO]?[xX])(\s+)([0-9]+)/iD';

@
preg_match($postalBoxRegextrim($address), $isPostalBox);

if (
is_array($isPostalBox) && (count($isPostalBox) > 0)) {
    return 
true;
  }
  else {
    return 
false;
  }
}
// }}} 

Next you will need to edit two files, shipping/mod_UPS.php and depending if you're using X-Cart 4.1 or 4.2 either shipping/mod_FEDEX.php (4.2) or shipping/mod_FEDEX_direct.php (4.1)

shipping/mod_UPS.php:

After:
PHP Code:
if (!$UPS_FOUND)
    return; 

Add:
PHP Code:
/* Check for the existance of a P.O. Box Address */
if (func_is_postal_box($userinfo['s_address'])) return; 

shipping/mod_FEDEX.php (4.2) or shipping/mod_FEDEX_direct.php (4.1)

After:
PHP Code:
if (!$FEDEX_FOUND)
    return; 

Add:
PHP Code:
/* Check for the existance of a P.O. Box Address */
if (func_is_postal_box($userinfo['s_address'])) return; 

Once you have made these modifications truncate the xcart_shipping_cache table and you should be good to go. This will disable UPS and FedEx for any address that is considered a P.O. Box by the regular expression (this expression has been thoroughly tested against thousands of customers who tried to get around it)

Enjoy

The following 3 users thank exsecror for this useful post:
cflsystems (01-07-2010), Jayk (01-07-2010), mrerotic (03-21-2011)
Old 01-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Veteran

Default Re: Disable UPS and FedEx for P.O. Boxes

This should really be in the core code of xcart. Thanks Alan
Old 01-08-2010, 03:51 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
This should really be in the core code of xcart. Thanks Alan

I agree, I also have similar procedures for blocking real-time shipping methods to zones (which it cannot do by default) and I also patched them to pass the customer's shipping address in the lookup for accurate rates (something else it should be doing by default but isn't)
Old 03-11-2010, 01:37 PM

I have flat rates and don't use real time calculations. It was just as easy to edit the shipping/shipping.php file:

Around line 288
Code:
if (!$enable_shipping || $config["Shipping"]["realtime_shipping"] != "Y") { # # Get ALL shipping methods according to the conditions (W/O real time) # $shipping = func_query("SELECT * FROM $sql_tbl[shipping] WHERE active='Y' $destination_condition $weight_condition ORDER BY orderby");
Change to:
Code:
if (!$enable_shipping || $config["Shipping"]["realtime_shipping"] != "Y") { # # Get ALL shipping methods according to the conditions (W/O real time) # // {{{ func_is_postal_box() /** * This function checks to see if the customer's * shipping address is a United States Post Office * Box. * * @param string $address Customer's Street Address * @return boolean true if post office box; false if not */ function func_is_postal_box($address) { $postalBoxRegex = '/^([pP]{1}(.*?)[oO]{1}(.*?))?([bB][oO]?[xX])(\s+)([0-9]+)/iD'; @preg_match($postalBoxRegex, trim($address), $isPostalBox); if (is_array($isPostalBox) && (count($isPostalBox) > 0)) { return true; } else { return false; } } // }}} if (func_is_postal_box($userinfo['s_address'])){ $shipping = func_query("SELECT * FROM $sql_tbl[shipping] WHERE active='Y' AND code='USPS' $destination_condition $weight_condition ORDER BY orderby"); }else{ $shipping = func_query("SELECT * FROM $sql_tbl[shipping] WHERE active='Y' $destination_condition $weight_condition ORDER BY orderby"); }
Old 03-10-2011, 02:25 PM

I implemented this code and it works properly. The only issue I have since I am using one page checkout in 4.4 2, I have to refresh a screen in order to display if shipping is allowed. Any advise? Also how can I display a message indicatting that we do not ship to P.O. Boxes ?

Thanks,
Fred.

snow cone syrup
wizard of oz
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions