Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Refine Filters module released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 AM

X-Cart team

Arrow Refine Filters module released

Hi folks,

we are glad to finally announce our Refine Filters for X-Cart.

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/default/files/modules/filter_image-1.png

Customer demo
Admin demo :: Catalog :: Refine Filters :: iGoods->Mac

A lot of efforts was put into designing and development of the module. We focused on making it as easy as possible to set up. To be more certain, you do not need to create all those filters and attributes and assign it to products. Instead, it utilizes already existing extra fields, product options, variants and even Feature Comparison classes. Still it's possible to create special classes for filters - there is page for this in admin area.

Since the module is quite complex we realize that there may be some bugs but we are going to fix it in a timely manner. Do not hesitate to post bugs here or to your HelpDesk accounts. Your improvement ideas are also welcome. Our aim is the ultimate filtering add-on so we are not going to stop developing it.

We'd like to thank ADDISSON for his invaluable help in designing and testing the module.

The following 3 users thank vladimir.gritsenko for this useful post:
ADDISON (01-30-2013), qualiteam (01-30-2013), tartaglia (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 AM

X-Man

Default Re: Refine Filters module released

Thank you. But what I did for this important module is very small comparing with your work (my idea about a filtering module from scratch to final work + impressions after testing). The "dirty" job is made by developers, and I would like to thank you all for doing this. I am offering my volunteer work to anyone interested to make XC one of the best platform for e-commerce in the world. It really deserves to be.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com

The following 4 users thank ADDISON for this useful post:
Ene (01-30-2013), qualiteam (01-31-2013), tartaglia (01-30-2013), vladimir.gritsenko (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 AM

X-Man

Of course we have to improve the user interface, finding bugs.

Please note in Admin -> Catalog, the last two menu items are missing (both for filtering). I have white space, but there are links moving the mouse over.

>> update: check the menu from Home page, just after you enter in Admin area.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDISON
Of course we have to improve the user interface, finding bugs.

Please note in Admin -> Catalog, the last two menu items are missing (both for filtering). I have white space, but there are links moving the mouse over.

It's a know bug of our demo, not the module buth thanks anyway. We will fix it.

The following user thanks vladimir.gritsenko for this useful post:
ADDISON (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:22 AM

X-Man

It is great you show the attributes which are not available in some combinations. You made them gray, but do not allow check for them. It is sad to check a box in a filter and see "0 product found". I already know that looking of the color of the attribute. Do not allow checking. You will get a full report for all issue I found in about 10 days. As I read from your post, you continue the work to this module after releasing which is great.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM

Advanced Member

There is something I do not quite understand about this module: It is said it works with product variants but does it?

Lets create a product that has option class "size" populated with S,M,L. Now lets make it as variants and put 0 in size S - (somebody has just bought your last S). X-cart shows S properly as "out of stock". But one can still filter by size S and get this product listed, even if "in stock only" checkbox is checked.

It does not make much sense for me - I believe if a customer wants to find size S, he should get products that have S available, especially with "in stock only" checked. He filters for S that is in stock, right? Or am I missing something?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 AM

X-Man

@not_so_young_greg: I suggested Qualiteam to show all filter attributes. Once you make a selection the others remain visible (gray as texts), but they should be disable as checked (this will avoid situation like checking and getting 0 results - which is stupid. filtering is based on real figures - just see Excel for example).

This module will get more features soon as Qualiteam says, and an user manual too. Please share your opinion here for discussions. Qualiteam will reply you, I am only the person who's testing this module and suggesting issues/improvements.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 AM

X-Man

A very important issue is related to Price min-max inputs. Refine Filters should work with X-MultiCurrency. For the moment it is not working.

If you set up 3 currencies, first time you will see $ in price range. But if you change front-end currency to Euro, price ranges remain in USD. Normally if you change the currency, the values in price ranges should change according, from minimum price to the maxim one.

Personally I get rid of symbol $ near input boxes (imagine some currencies are not just one symbol, but letter. But I will update in Filter name, just after Price, inside round brackets, the currency, based also on Front-end currency (e.g. Price (Euro), Price ($), Price ($). In this way it is a clean design, intuitive, which not consuming space (inserting for example USD near input boxes, will brake the layout, imagine how annoying is when changing currencies).

Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 AM

X-Man

>> There is an issue with Assigning product class in product management page. I created before a filter class named Fabric, I would like to assign it, but after I push [Apply] still Undefined, even the filter class is in selector.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDISON
It is great you show the attributes which are not available in some combinations. You made them gray, but do not allow check for them. It is sad to check a box in a filter and see "0 product found". I already know that looking of the color of the attribute. Do not allow checking. You will get a full report for all issue I found in about 10 days. As I read from your post, you continue the work to this module after releasing which is great.

I've registered it as a feature to our internal bug-tracker. Most likely we will add a setting for it disabled by default. There are many popular filters which allow narrowing the list down to zero. Since it's a real-time information it does not cause much confusion.
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements