Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

List instead of grid in cloud version

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 09-22-2014, 09:44 AM

Advanced Member

Default List instead of grid in cloud version

In this KB article they give directions for setting a category to default to list view. However I would like to do this in the cloud version. Is that possible?

http://kb.x-cart.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=7504837#Webinar2-10Apr2014-DesignchangesinX-Cart5(Custom...insteadofGrid?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:08 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: List instead of grid in cloud version

I don't think so. I hope I am wrong, that would be great!

From what I understand, cloud version is basically X-cart's SAAS model, the software itself cannot be modified except through modules installed from the X-cart marketplace.

This makes sense, and is typical for SAAS solutions. If you want ultimate power and flexibility, you need to move to the downloadable, self-hosted model.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.

The following 2 users thank totaltec for this useful post:
tls (09-23-2014), tony_sologubov (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 06:29 AM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaltec
I don't think so. I hope I am wrong, that would be great!

From what I understand, cloud version is basically X-cart's SAAS model, the software itself cannot be modified except through modules installed from the X-cart marketplace.

This makes sense, and is typical for SAAS solutions. If you want ultimate power and flexibility, you need to move to the downloadable, self-hosted model.

But isn't this the power of XC5 as QT says - no need to modify core files, all is done with modules so it shouldn't matter if it is SaaS or own copy - the module can be installed and modify default behavior.
Or this is not the case?

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
totaltec (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 06:45 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
But isn't this the power of XC5 as QT says - no need to modify core files, all is done with modules so it shouldn't matter if it is SaaS or own copy - the module can be installed and modify default behavior.
Or this is not the case?
Yes, this is the case. But I do not believe that the cloud version can install custom made modules. Cloud should have access to all commercially released modules, but it is lacking the ability to upload and install a custom module. Additionally you do not have FTP access to the server, so you cannot setup your own customizations to the code.

As I understand the OP is asking about installing some custom module. If the module is in the marketplace it can be used on cloud, but if not you are out of luck. Downloadable versions do not have this limitation. Like I said, this is acceptable and normal for a cloud solution. Customers choose the cloud because they do not want to deal with their own server and customizing code.

With cloud, if it cannot be accomplished through CSS changes or a marketplace module, then it cannot be done.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru

Old 09-23-2014, 06:50 AM

Veteran

Hm this is sort of huge drawback - no inability to install your own module. There is no need for FTP access - just to upload form admin/modules... Yes as I always thought if this is the case then SaaS sucks big time...
Old 09-23-2014, 07:05 AM

X-Guru

I may be wrong. Hopefully we will receive confirmation on this from QT. Perhaps this limitation will be removed in the future. But it does make sense, if you allow true customization for cloud clients than your support costs will go through the roof!

XcartGuru

Old 09-23-2014, 11:14 AM

X-Cart team

Hi guys!

Just explained our official position here: http://forum.x-cart.com/showpost.php?p=377638&postcount=2

As for uploading custom modules to SaaS store, we cannot allow that, because it is security hole and because merchant can break the store in a way that he/she would not be able to recover it yourself.

Technically, merchant can become X-Cart partner and upload modules (with verification from our side) only for their stores.

The following 2 users thank tony_sologubov for this useful post:
qualiteam (09-23-2014), totaltec (09-23-2014)
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)