Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Look at X-cart very carefully !

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 09-15-2011, 08:32 AM

eXpert

Default Re: Look at X-cart very carefully !

[quote=am2003]In my opinion PHP + MySQL + Smarty is the right combination for people who would like to customize fast their shopping carts. I am a familiar with Prestashop and CS C.a.r.t. Both using Smarty templates. Interspire is good, close to Magento, but very expensive and it is not offering features like XCart offers. OpenCart, Zen Cart are ok too......

Interspire ISC is good, but has more or less been abandoned for updates.. The latest release 6.1.1 has not been updated for nearly a year.. many people grumbling and searching for alternate carts at this point.

They have dedicated most all of their resources to improving and adding features their other product "BigCommerce" which is a hosted produtct (I forget the correct term- SAAS?) meaning they own the software, run it on their servers, and charge you a monthly fee, based on the number of products you need in your store- Fine if you have a small number of products, expensive if you have a huge site.
They also push down updates on the BC solution, from what I hear, without warning, which could either benefit you, or cause issues.
CS has the right idea that I wish X-Cart would follow, and that is to continually make available new features, and a smoother admin interface. They have made their back end look almost identical to ISC, making the day to day shopkeeper tasks a little easier.
They of course have their bugs/fixes and issues like every other cart, including this one. No cart will be without issues, bugs, and have every feature, addon, etc. that you are looking for. Their use of blocks was a pretty cool idea.. it really makes changing things around on any page a smoother process.. You really don't need to know any code to drag and drop a block to the desired location.

X-Cart.. despite the moaning and groaning you find here, I still consider it one of the most solid carts.. My 2 biggest gripes about it are the clunky engineer-designed backend, and the lack of ambition to keep up with the features of other carts on the market. When they do add a new feature, then its almost automatic that it will be an additional $100 for that addon (i.e. FB addon) while other carts are just adding these as part of the upgrade/initial package.
I can't bad mouth X-Cart, but at the same time I can't say its the best solution either... It would really be great to see it evolve at a little faster pace so that it can keep up with the other carts out there and climb to the top and be the first choice for more people that are making a decision on which cart to use.
The idea that someone presented about WP and how the modules/addons were seperate and not part of the core is a good suggestion.. That way the addon could be disabled should it cause troubles, and the author whether it be X-cart or a 3rd party, could keep the addon up to date, and the like WP, the addon could check for updates everytime you login to the admin side of things..

Just my two cents worth, I still feel loyal to X-cart, but realistically, need to be able to compete with other vendors that have site features either not available, or at a cost that just makes it not worth it.

The following user thanks timbrrr for this useful post:
Dongan (09-15-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 12:15 AM

X-Adept

X-Cart is the best. It could be improved upon by taking a more modular approach which would make modding and extending more appealing. That aside, I've tried all the other carts and keep coming back because it just does the job better than the rest.

If it were easier to run upgrades and you could change stuff without affecting core code then this thread would never have been started, so I'd say this is a case in point for future versions (if we're going to be lucky enough to actually get any) to be more 'Wordpress-like' in their presentation to developers, if you get what I mean.

Donavichi.
X-Cart developer and e-commerce website designer since 2002.
X-Cart versions supported 3.5.x to 5.x
Hosting support for Linux, cPanel, WHM, Plesk

The following user thanks donavichi for this useful post:
seyfin (10-12-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 05:11 AM

I read the entire thread. The modularity theme and common API is something that needs to be considered seriously.

Having said that, despite the warts, and after using it for 5+ years, I like X-cart because of many reasons. Top on the list are: flexibility, excellent community support (this forum) and quality 3rd party add-ons. I mention flexibility as the top because with a little MySQL, PHP and Smarty knowledge, one can go a long way in customizing the product to suit one's needs. And MySQL, PHP and Smarty has excellent community support on the web so I have never had to look far for answers to my development questions.

Moving forward, with the help of discussions such as this thread, X-Cart will only get better. @kgoel - you certainly touched a nerve, but the results are for the good. Thanks.

Nick
CDSEO Pro- 2.2
Mysql Community Edition 5.7.21
Dev Sys- Debian 9 Stretch
Dev sys - AApache/2.4.25 (Debian)
Old 09-30-2011, 05:39 AM

Veteran

Well XC5 is supposed to be OO. I can't wait for its release
Old 10-11-2011, 11:28 PM

X-Cart team

Timbrrr,

> Just my two cents worth, I still feel loyal to X-cart, but realistically,
> need to be able to compete with other vendors that have site features
> either not available, or at a cost that just makes it not worth it.

LiteCommerce
Better designed
New OO code
Real modular architecture
Easy upgrades
Easy to design/modify
X-Payments project manager
Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 PM

X-Cart team

Steve, X-Cart 5 will be based on LiteCommerce - see http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=55871&page=2
and
https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150165192633619
X-Payments project manager

The following 2 users thank ambal for this useful post:
cflsystems (10-12-2011), chamberinternet (10-12-2011)
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project