Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

is it possible to override a module's yaml info

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 05-11-2015, 09:12 AM

Default is it possible to override a module's yaml info

I have a client that wants to modify the "brands" module to say "designer". I've accomplished this almost everywhere, except that the menu item and the url (?target=brands) are set in the yaml file.

obviously i'm trying to accomplish this while maintaining upgradability.

any direction would be appraciated.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: is it possible to override a module's yaml info

Can you post a copy of the yaml? Are you talking about the admin side of customer side? I am sure that there is a way to do this in your own module. yaml files usually just insert data into the database, that is later referenced by a php file. We just have to find the file that references it, and decorate that class in our own module.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.

The following user thanks totaltec for this useful post:
qualiteam (05-19-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaltec
Can you post a copy of the yaml? Are you talking about the admin side of customer side? I am sure that there is a way to do this in your own module. yaml files usually just insert data into the database, that is later referenced by a php file. We just have to find the file that references it, and decorate that class in our own module.

Here's the part of the yaml I was thinking I'd override:

XLite\Module\CDev\SimpleCMS\Model\Menu:
- link: '?target=brands'
type: P
position: 150
translations:
- code: en
name: 'Brands'
- code: ru
name: 'Бренды'

as you can see, it places the literal string there, so I wasn't sure how to modify that. Although, I'm thinking maybe I could use my own yaml and insert my own menu item and then remove theirs from the menu ( I think that's an option). however, that'd still leave '?target=brands' as a valid url that could get crawled, which might ding us for seo purposes.

Ideally, I want to accomplish this without a bunch of manual steps in the backend, so it will be easily migratable to other stores.

thanks for the reply.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:25 AM

X-Guru

Okay yes as you expect, this is just a menu item. The best way to fix this is just a simple edit of the menu. Then you can edit the language variable.

If it was your own module then this would be something to change, but since it a purchased one just make the change manually in the admin.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru

Old 05-11-2015, 12:07 PM

ok, so that didn't work like I was thinking

I got the menu saying what I want, but how do I make ?target=designers point to the brands page (where ?target=brands currently goes). Basically, how do I setup in a module what target goes where.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:43 PM

X-Guru

I'd search the module itself for the word brand and the word target. Then you will hopefully find the php file and method you need to decorate. I have several tutorials where I demonstrate these techniques.

XcartGuru

Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 PM

X-Guru

But don't edit the module files directly, decorate them with your own custom module. Watch my tutorials and read/watch Tony's. Then if you still need help, we will be here.

XcartGuru

Old 05-12-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
I'd search the module itself for the word brand and the word target. Then you will hopefully find the php file and method you need to decorate. I have several tutorials where I demonstrate these techniques.

that's how I found the yaml file. it was the only place. I'm assuming this is an xcart thing more than a module thing, or its possible they're loading the info from a variable where it wouldn't show up in a content search. I'm still looking though.

I guess, my question is, in the url when we get ?target=[somevalue], where in xcart controls what that does? because that url structure is not unique to this module. My Account goes to '?target=order_list'. So, where are targets defined, I guess?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:30 AM

X-Guru

I was able to get my hands on a copy of the Brands module.

In Module/QSL/ShopByBrand/View/Brand.php I see this method:

Code:
/** * Brand page view * * @ListChild (list="admin.center", zone="admin") */ class Brand extends \XLite\View\AView { /** * Return list of allowed targets * * @return array */ public static function getAllowedTargets() { return array_merge(parent::getAllowedTargets(), array('brand')); }

this is the method I would override in my decorator. It may be other places, this is just the first I found.

XcartGuru

Old 05-12-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I was able to get my hands on a copy of the Brands module.

In Module/QSL/ShopByBrand/View/Brand.php I see this method:

Code:
/** * Brand page view * * @ListChild (list="admin.center", zone="admin") */ class Brand extends \XLite\View\AView { /** * Return list of allowed targets * * @return array */ public static function getAllowedTargets() { return array_merge(parent::getAllowedTargets(), array('brand')); }

this is the method I would override in my decorator. It may be other places, this is just the first I found.

Ahhhh, thank you! I will try that shortly. I'm pretty sure that's what i need though. I saw this function early on in my search, but I hadn't figured out I was looking for targets yet.. its much more relevant now
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)