Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Improved Search Function

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Improved Search Function

recently i have noticed this is quite a big deal with my shop as well. For example if i type in 'red curtains', the default search results even show listings with words that contain "red". Eg "altered".

is there a setting to get rid of this? I want to stick with the 'OR' and 'AND' principality but searching for terms within words just isn't right.

please help if anyone has found a solution.

(i checked out AlteredCart - Smart Search, but thats the same in his demo. Any other search mods?!)
Old 04-06-2008, 01:20 PM

Advanced Member

does this mod work with 4.1.7?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:49 AM

eXpert

Red face Re: Improved Search Function

Hands down I have to agree that xcart's search just doesn't do the job completely. With 19,000+ items in our store we get all manner of things come up when a customer does a search and not all of them are the right things... in fact sometimes a customer will have to dig through pages of crap to find what he/she was looking for.

Any chance we know the search engine corrections listed here will work with 4.1.8? I'd really be grateful to anyone who can provide me with the information.

Kind Regards,
http://teststore.hortonstores.com [v.4.2.2] Fashion Mosaic Skin TEST STORE - NOT FOR ACTUAL SHOPPING!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:00 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatterr
Hands down I have to agree that xcart's search just doesn't do the job completely. With 19,000+ items in our store we get all manner of things come up when a customer does a search and not all of them are the right things... in fact sometimes a customer will have to dig through pages of crap to find what he/she was looking for.

Any chance we know the search engine corrections listed here will work with 4.1.8? I'd really be grateful to anyone who can provide me with the information.

Kind Regards,

If you have 19,000 items, you should really look into one of the following solutions:

AlteredCart's Smart Search for X-Cart

OR

Nextopia's E-commerce Search

Altered Cart should drastically speed up searching on your site, and the results (for the most part) are much better than those with the stock X-Cart search, which is not at all forgiving to those who don't search with just the right terms. It will run you $149 and all of the processing is performed on your own server (but it's still a LOT quicker than the default search, even on a shared account).

Nextopia, in my testing, was quicker and produced better results (it can be customized much more than Smart Search, and out of the box the algorithm just seemed to be tuned better, at least for our site). The searches are run on their own site and the information is transferred back to your website via xml and displayed within your sites template. In testing, it was quicker for me, but not by a lot, and I'm not sure what the real-world results would be. The downside is that it costs much more - $995/year. It does have additional features and add-ons not available in Smart Search though, so depending on your budget and your sites traffic, it may be worth the price (especially if you feel some of it's features could lead to higher conversion - which I think is the case for at least some types of sites).

IMO, small changes to the default X-Cart search are akin to putting lipstick on a pig.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 AM

X-Adept

Altered Cart's Smart Search now is offering searching of extra fields, so if these are utilised you can offer customers some real detail in terms of searching capability.
Numerous, ney, hundreds of modifications by ARS.
AlteredCart: Download Expander, One Page Checkout,
BCS Engineering: Great team, Top service.
WebsiteCM: good products & very professional
CDSEO, Hidden Categories, Custom Work
Magnetic One Store Manager: Brill
Forms To Go: Excellent+A+support
Old 09-19-2008, 11:18 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoval
Altered Cart's Smart Search now is offering searching of extra fields, so if these are utilised you can offer customers some real detail in terms of searching capability.

If you've got sortable/searchable information in your extra fields, you should really give nextopia's ecommerce search a look (they setup a demo for me with my product info and I'm sure they would do the same for others). Upi can take any information you are able to export and allow that to be searchable OR used to refine search results. Apparently this add-on for Smart Search will allow searching by extra fields, but Nextopia takes it one step further.

If not for the price difference I would already be using Nextopia. For now though, I've got the Smart Search add-on on order and will give that a shot before we commit to spending more. There is no question that Smart Search is an enormous improvement over the default search, but based on budget and needs it may not be the best option.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:21 PM

Advanced Member

i'm interested in powerful solutions with sort options similar to nextopia.

What do you guys think of something like

http://www.sphinxsearch.com/about.html

You can see SLI search (http://www.sli-systems.com/powered-by.php) working on one our local x-carters stores. It seems pretty awesome..

http://hardware.hardwareandtools.com/search?w=kerosene
Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM

How do you change the standard search to include SKU?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulw
How do you change the standard search to include SKU?
The answer is found in this thread, "SKU search by default":
http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=30817

Robert
Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Advanced Member

How would I go about having the extra fields "checked" by default on the search pages? Or is that the million dollar question? I thought it would be as easy as checked="true" or something like that, but I don't even know where to begin to look.

Thanks in advance...

X-Cart 4.1.9 Gold upgraded to 4.1.10
Considering 4.2

Local Computer:
Mac OS 10.5.6
Brower Firefox 3.0.5

Server:
OS Linux
Apache 2.0.63
PHP 5.2.5
MySQL 5.0.51a-community
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions