Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Funkydunk's COOL mod for total meta tag control

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 10-27-2003, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydunk
This must be because there is a return or new line in the category_modify.tpl around the description field.

Take the extra space around the value of that field out and it will stop doing this.

hth

Found that little sucker at the end of line 34 works properly now.

<textarea cols=65 rows=15 name=description>

Thanks for the guided tour.

dlee
Old 11-03-2003, 05:38 PM

This is a great mod! Thanks for helping us out!

I have a suggestion/request.

Is there a way to have the products within the category use the same meta title, descriptions and keywords as the category that it resides in?

Thank you!
Old 11-03-2003, 11:09 PM

First of all, awesome work Funkydunk and thanks for the generosity by posting the code up. Thank you!

I got a question that maybe funkydunk or Dlee can answer...I'm haivng that problem where it inserts a space/line break in the description box when I go to edit a category.

Now Funkydunk said to edit the category_modify.tpl and can locate the file...but what is the exact change I have to make?? I'm no programmer (as you can tell)..how do I remove the line break?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-04-2003, 09:23 AM

wlekoh,

If you can locate the file you are almost done. Open this file in a text editor like notepad. I use TextPad and I recommend it, it is very easy to use. Look for the line or do a search in the document via your text editor for this line of code.

<textarea cols=65 rows=15 name=description>

at the end of this line is where the problem is. Their is an extra space there and needs to be deleted. Don't let the line wrap, just delete the space.

Here is the corrected version of category_modify.tpl

Code:
{* $Id: category_modify.tpl,v 1.20 2002/11/10 09:26:46 ndv Exp $ *} {include file="location.tpl" last_location="Add/Modify category"} {capture name=dialog} <table border=0> <form name="addform" action="category_modify.php?mode={$smarty.get.mode}" method=post enctype="multipart/form-data"> <tr> <td>[img]../icon.php?categoryid={$cat}&rand={$rand}[/img]</td> <td colspan=2></td> </tr> <tr> <td height="10" class=FormButton nowrap>Icon</td> <td width="10" height="10"></td> <td><input type="file" name="userfile"></td> </tr> <TR> <TD height="10" class=FormButton nowrap>Order by</TD> <TD width="10" height="10"></TD> <TD height="10"><INPUT type=text name="order_by" size=4 value="{if $category_error ne ""}{$smarty.post.order_by}{elseif $smarty.get.mode ne "add"}{$current_category.order_by}{/if}"> </TR> <tr> <td height="10" class=FormButton nowrap>Category</td> <td width="10" height="10"><font class=CustomerMessage>*</font></td> <td height="10"> <input type="text" name="category_name" size="30" value="{if $category_error ne ""}{$smarty.post.category_name|escape:"htmlall"}{elseif $smarty.get.mode ne "add"}{$current_category.category|escape:"htmlall"}{/if}"> {if $category_error ne ""} <font color=red><< Wrong value</font> {/if} </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="10" class=FormButton nowrap valign=top>Description</td> <td width="10" height="10"><font class=CustomerMessage></font></td> <td height="10"> <textarea cols=65 rows=15 name=description> {if $category_error ne ""}{$smarty.post.description|escape:"htmlall"}{elseif $smarty.get.mode ne "add"}{$current_category.description|escape:"htmlall"}{/if} </textarea> </td> </tr> {* funkydunk metamod 2003 *} <tr> <td height=10 class=FormButton nowrap>Page Title</td> <td width="10" height="10"><font class=FormButtonOrange></font></td> <td height=10> <input type=text name=page_title size="30" value="{if $category_error ne ""}{$smarty.post.page_title|escape:"htmlall"}{elseif $smarty.get.mode ne "add"}{$current_category.page_title|escape:"htmlall"}{/if}"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td height=10 class=FormButton nowrap>Meta Description</td> <td width="10" height="10"><font class=FormButtonOrange></font></td> <td height=10> <input type=text name=meta_description size="30" value="{if $category_error ne ""}{$smarty.post.meta_description|escape:"htmlall"}{elseif $smarty.get.mode ne "add"}{$current_category.meta_description|escape:"htmlall"}{/if}"> </td> </tr> {* end of funkydunk metamod 2003 *} <tr> {* funkydunk metamod 2003 *} <td height=10 class=FormButton nowrap>Meta Keywords</td> {* end of funkydunk metamod 2003 *} <td width="10" height="10"><font class=FormButtonOrange></font></td> <td height=10> <input type=text name=meta_tags size="30" value="{if $category_error ne ""}{$smarty.post.meta_tags|escape:"htmlall"}{elseif $smarty.get.mode ne "add"}{$current_category.meta_tags|escape:"htmlall"}{/if}"> </td> </tr> <TR> <TD height=10 class=FormButton nowrap>Membership</TD> <TD width=10 height=10><FONT class=FormButtonOrange></FONT></TD> <TD height=10> <SELECT name=cat_membership> <OPTION value=""{if $current_category.membership eq ""} selected{/if}>All</OPTION> {section name=mi loop=$membership_levels} {if $membership_levels[mi].usertype eq "C"} <OPTION value="{$membership_levels[mi].membership}"{if $current_category.membership eq $membership_levels[mi].membership} selected{/if}>{$membership_levels[mi].membership}</OPTION> {/if} {/section} </SELECT> </TD> </TR> <tr> <td height=10 class=FormButton nowrap>Availability</td> <td width=10 height=10><font class=CustomerMessage></font></td> <td height="10"> <select name=avail> <option value='Y' {if ($current_category.avail eq 'Y')} selected {/if}>Enabled</option> <option value='N' {if ($current_category.avail eq 'N')} selected {/if}>Disabled</option> </select> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="78" class=FormButton></td> <td width="10"></td> <td width="282"> <input type=submit value="Submit"> </td> </tr> <input type=hidden name=cat value={$cat}> </form> </table> {/capture} {include file="dialog.tpl" title="Add/Modify category" content=$smarty.capture.dialog extra="width=100%"}

That should do it. Just paste this code in to category_modify.tpl and your done.

dlee
Old 11-04-2003, 01:58 PM

Thanks Dlee, that fixed it up sure enough!
Has anyone had any problems using webmaster mode after this mod was installed? I can't seem to use that feature of X-cart anymore after installing this.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:06 AM

Advanced Member

Default SQL Patch

When I try to apply the patch...I get the following error

INVALID SQL: 1062 : Duplicate entry 'meta_title' for key 1
SQL QUERY FAILURE: INSERT INTO xcart_config VALUES ('meta_title', 'Meta Title', '', 'Company', 600, 'text')

Quote:

INSERT INTO xcart_config VALUES ('meta_title', 'Meta Title', '', 'Company', 600, 'text');
INSERT INTO xcart_config VALUES ('meta_description', 'Meta Description', 'DSS Remotes, DSS Accessories, DSS Parts, Pepper Spray, Personal Protection,Security Cameras,Surveillance Cameras, Surveillance Systems, PlayStation Accessories, PlayStation2 Accessories, Game Cube Accessories, XBOT Accessories,Stun Guns, Tasers, Metal Detectors.', 'Company', 601, 'text');
INSERT INTO xcart_config VALUES ('meta_keywords', 'Meta Keywords', 'security,surveillance,personal protection,dss,cband,game accessories,nintendo,playstation,dreamcast,gameboy ,pepper spray,mace,tasers,stun gun,car security,accessories,hidden cameras,remote surveillance,remotes,replacement remotes,remote controls,cell phone,cellphone,cellphone accessories,STUN GUNS,stun gun,TASERS,tasers,PEPPER SPRAY,pepper spray,pepper foam,MACE,PERSONAL ALARMS,CHILD PROTECTION,self defense', 'Company', 602, 'text');

ALTER TABLE `xcart_categories` ADD `page_title` VARCHAR( 255 ) AFTER `description` ;
ALTER TABLE `xcart_categories` ADD `meta_description` VARCHAR( 255 ) AFTER `page_title` ;

Using MSQL VER 4.0.16

Any Ideas?

Thank's
Censat
Old 11-22-2003, 02:03 AM

I Think it means you have tried or have successfully ran and patched the SQL database using that query. Try going to general settings then "company setting" and have a look if there's fields there for meta tags.
Old 11-22-2003, 02:07 AM

Default Meta Mod installed..category icons not working

Did you guys realise that by installing Funkydunk's meta mod it creates some problems with the category icons?? You can't add any category icons whatsoever...

Anyone figured out a soltion around this problem??
Old 11-23-2003, 08:04 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Did you guys realise that by installing Funkydunk's meta mod it creates some problems with the category icons?? You can't add any category icons whatsoever...

Anyone figured out a soltion around this problem??

Same problem on my site. I cannot add any subcategory Icons anymore .
Old 11-23-2003, 09:26 AM

Advanced Member

Figured it out ... see page 2
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions