Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 4.5.5 released

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 PM

Veteran

Default Re: X-Cart 4.5.5 released

Thanks. Is there a list somewhere of all these changes?I can see it how all this info is spread between many threads here in the forum. One post that informs about all these changes will be very helpful
Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 AM

Advanced Member

Ehm, this patch to 4.5.5 seems to have some major changes when it comes to people who use a custom skin.

For example: after implementing 4.5.5 from 4.5.3, some of our product pages turned blank. So if you are thinking of patching to 4.5.5, don't think this is just a small patch and patch a live shop - test it out first. Our shop apparently uses extensive modification (although I doubt it does, since I am the one who would've made the modifications) so the patch doesn't work. Sadly.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
All smarty modifiers/functions (both built-in and custom) are allowed.
You just can't use PHP functions directly, as well as "php" smarty tag.
Other thing is that templates outside defined skin directory can't be included now.

Yeah, I was able to get with the developer of that plugin, he made the change you suggested. I have a message in to WebsiteCM regarding their Dynamic Product Tabs plugin, which uses the "php" smarty tag, so it does not work in 4.5.5. I still have other plugins to implement in 4.5.5, will see what else is affected.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N
I have a message in to WebsiteCM regarding their Dynamic Product Tabs plugin, which uses the "php" smarty tag, so it does not work in 4.5.5.

We need a "master list" of plugins that worked fine in 4.5.4 but are "broken" by the "improvements" in 4.5.5

Can someone from X-Cart start this thread and sticky it?

PS -- I am not convinced the edits in the security patch (that were added to 4.5.5) are anything more than whack-a-mole.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM

Veteran

funny

I think again we have something that shoudl not have been called 4.5.x upgrade - these are major changes not just bug fixes.

QT - look at how many XC users jumped on this upgrade and they all srewed up their stores for one reaosn or another... 3rd party vendors are finding out their mods do not work when someone upgrades and their store failes...

How about a roadmap that shows what you will have in the next realease so the 3rd party vendor can prepare or at least advice that the mod may not work... I have the feeling XC bugs and improvements are made on the fly wihtout a clear idea what to implement or why - let's put it in and hope for the best, we'll calll it improvement.... and if it breaks some other mod - 3rd party or QT module then we'll release a fix with the next upgrade...

The following 5 users thank cflsystems for this useful post:
carpeperdiem (02-19-2013), cherie (02-19-2013), Danimal (02-19-2013), elmirage001 (02-19-2013), Mark N (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
I think again we have something that shoudl not have been called 4.5.x upgrade - these are major changes not just bug fixes.

AND -- the simultaneously released "security patch" also kills many 3rd party modules.

The "security patch" that appears to be Vladimir Petrov's pet project appears to have been tossed into all the bug fixes for version 4.5.5

SO NOW we have some (many) bug fixes, PLUS a re-invented X-Payments (and the integrated XPC) PLUS a major security overhaul bundled into one.

Dammit Jim, all I wanted was 4.5.4 bugs to be fixed.

THEN let me deal with the security.
THEN let me deal with upgrading for new features.

I have only said this 1.61803 times.

X-Cart is crying about their revenue stream, yet, they do this kind of shit that will prevent most merchants from "upgrading". This company is not being run by merchants. As an engineer, I can appreciate the goal of making it better, making it faster making it sexier. But as a merchant, my ultimate job is to make my customers happy and make it easy for them to spend money on my products.

Whatever.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM

All this all at once has made me flat confused. I started to go with XC 4.5.4 and XP 1.0.5 but soon as I installed XC 4.5.4 out comes 4.5.5 and 1.0.6

Now I am totally confused on if the security patch is in there or not.

I have to agree, this is becoming a train wreck very fast. One thing at a time would be nice.

For version & mods installed, see post.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 PM

X-Wizard

The security patch is part of XC 4.5.5 (I think).

I've been using x-cart since the early version "3's" and have almost always done the upgrading and installing on my own. I may not be an expert programer, but I'm not a newbie to this thing by any means either.

This upgrade wasn't just a problem for third party mods, some of x-carts own mods didn't work for me. Had to re-install them which wasn't such a big deal, except for x-multicurrency - the provided file did not work correctly, whether it was marked 4.5.5 or not.

I still haven't re-installed all of their mods so the potential for more problems is "high", but one step at a time.

During the initial upgrade, it was so broke and hopeless I took out a "Hot Rush" ticket several days ago and they didn't do anything there at all, the tech just made "suggestions" on what to do. Total waste of money, I should be given a refund for that one. I was only able to install it, myself, once they re-uploaded a newer patch.

Next, the multi-currency module. It just wouldn't work. I have an international business, I need it working ASAP. Using the files they provided, it simply would not upgrade. Finally I reached the point of taking out a 3 month tech subscription yesterday, which they still haven't got around to looking at it. Then I look in my file area this mooring and I see they have a newer version of that so I uploaded it and it installed fine. Need to go close that ticket.

I have needlessly spent nearly US $500 for their help and ended up fixing it on my own once they provided files that worked. $500 is a lot of money but honestly, for me to be down a day will cost me more than that so it was the lesser of the evils. Except that they are slow now, I am basically on my own. Now that I have a 3 month tech plan, I plan to go through my site with a fine toothed comb over the next 3 months and get everything fixed pops up in an error log.

They must be overwhelmed over there at the moment, it was never like this before. Anyway, I finally have got this upgrade under control.

Lesson: I will never upgrade to another version until weeks to months have gone by. I knew better, but took the chance and paid the price. Upgrade with care my friends...
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 AM
Advanced Staff Users

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
AND -- the simultaneously released "security patch" also kills many 3rd party modules.
Actually, smarty "php" tag and modifiers are should not be used from the beginning because it is a very bad practice:
http://www.smarty.net/best_practices
Moreover, these features even deprecated in latest Smarty versions.
Quote:
The "security patch" that appears to be Vladimir Petrov's pet project appears to have been tossed into all the bug fixes for version 4.5.5
Although I am not an author of the most introduced security improvements, I am here to help our clients with the technical issues. Previously actual developers rarely provided post-release support on forum, but we decided that this will be a good practice.

Quote:
THEN let me deal with the security.
THEN let me deal with upgrading for new features.

For all advanced users we have added ability to configure the new security features.
Please have a look at the following manual page:
http://help.x-cart.com/index.php?title=X-Cart:Config.php

P.S. We are still working on the manual update so it may be a bit inconsistent, please be patient.

The following 3 users thank random for this useful post:
ADDISON (02-20-2013), carpeperdiem (02-20-2013), cflsystems (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
changelog to be added

What happened to cleanup.php it gives an 403 error (access denied) can you tell me why?

Thank you in advance,

Rolf (x-cart 4.5.5 unix)