Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Mod Developer/Vendor Support. What Should You Expect?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 05-27-2008, 07:10 PM

Advanced Member

Default Mod Developer/Vendor Support. What Should You Expect?

Hi,

I have a question that I need some feedback on.

What type of support or customer service should one expect from any of the Third-Party Mod Developers/Vendors listed in the sticky at the top of this forum or for that matter anybody who claims to offer a commercial third party product for X-Cart? In my relatively short experience (about 4 months) with X-Cart I keep asking myself if I am expecting too much when I don't get a reply for a support question within 12 - 24 hours after spending hundreds of dollars. I also have found it amazing that it can take more than a day to get a digital product delivered not including weekends and holidays of course. I have also found inconsistent customer/service where it's good one minute and questionable the next.

I have also seen numerous forum posts requesting some sort of assistance for mods that have gone unanswered. You are left wondering if these people got their problem figured out, or just gave up. If I was in the business of providing some sort of X-Cart third-party product, I certainly wouldn't be ignoring these forums in any manner if I truly wanted to run a successful business.

I am an avid online consumer and web site owner (have some experience) and as soon as I started treading in the X-Cart waters I started to get all these negative thoughts, and I would just like to hear what the general feeling there is around here is about the items I mentioned above. I have committed to using X-Cart so I'm going to have to live with what I get for now.

If you have some feedback I'd like to hear it.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM

Veteran

Default Re: Mod Developer/Vendor Support. What Should You Expect?

There are certain vendors who are EXCELLENT at support, and others who simply aren't. I won't name names, but if you read the rants and raves forum, you'll get a good idea of who's who. I agree that it is pathetic when it takes longer than 24 hours for a digital download when you are paying via credit card, and I am always extremely disappointed when it takes longer than 24 hours to respond to a support ticket (with something other than 'we have received your request'). I buy a LOT of mods for a lot of clients, and there are some firms I just won't deal with anymore because of the lousy support. If you are in the business of selling mods, you best have the resources to handle the support of them.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 PM

X-Wizard

I believe Bill Brewer (AlteredCart.com) sets a good standard for 3rd party module development & support. My own experience, and the experiences of customers I've read in the forums, have always been positive when it comes to Bill. Plus the fact that all of his products are well designed, fully thought out, and are continually developed.

I personally don't know of anyone else that stacks up to Bill's standard, myself included, but I've also not dealt with all 3rd party module developers yet.

Regarding 3rd party companies that aren't necessarily module developers, I believe Paul Dodman (company: LuminoInternet) and Padraic Ryan (aka balinor, company: RyanDesignStudio) are the 2 best 3rd party companies involved in the X-Cart community, which provide design and/or general services.

Between Bill, Paul, and Padraic, you can't go wrong
Old 05-28-2008, 12:14 AM

X-Adept

Have to agree with the above - Bill is the benchmark for support of 3rd party mods (intel352 is pretty good also with his own mods )

Having had a recent disaster with a third party vendor - been over 2 weeks with no comms in the mail or on the forum you have to question if people can't provide some basic support how they have the neck to charge for them in the first place.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:38 AM

eXpert

Thumbs up Re: Mod Developer/Vendor Support. What Should You Expect?

Hi,

I'll third the praise for Bill, he has consistently sorted out every issue encountered, and offers great add-ons that really do the job.

I could mention some others here who don't offer a great service, but, not going to at this time!

Cheers
Tony
One Page Checkout, On-Sale, Dynamic Images ++++ Loads of others.
+ 2 Multi Domain stores on 4.1.9
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4