Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

An excellent ajustment... anyone???

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 04-05-2003, 11:33 AM

Advanced Member

Default An excellent ajustment... anyone???

I've visited a site:

http://www.rituals.com/

Go to EN, and then choost fast shopping... there you'll see that if you want to buy a product, you get a popup with the cart details. If you want to continue shopping, the popup closes and you're back to the shop. If you want to check out, the popup closes and you go to the checkout page!!

This saves a LOT of time fot the visitor, and looks VERY professional...

Anyone have this on their site, or know if it's possible?

Cheers,
Guytje
Old 04-06-2003, 11:10 PM

X-Man

Agreed, this can look professional but with anywhere from 5-10% of browsers not having javascript swicthed on it would rule them out of shopping on the site.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:16 PM

Advanced Member

Default very true...

Can't say anything to that
Cheers,
Me
Old 04-10-2003, 11:26 AM

X-Adept

Default 5-10% without Javascript? Show me the proof.

I tested that store and it seems really slow and my broswer hangs for a few secs while the new window opens. I don't really like it. Seems slower than it should be. Why is a popup window a good idea for your cart? Do you really think that makes it quicker/easier to use?

Also, X-Cart already requires Javascript if you've got any validation scripts set for your product options so the Javascript issue mentioned above seems pretty irrelevent.

I'm not sure where you got that stat about 5-10% of browsers having JavaScript turned off, but I'd be interested to know the source, and how the stats were gathered. Our server stats show less than 1% of our visitors have javascript turned off. In addition, since all major browsers ship with JavaScript turned on by default, you can assume that those who do not, are probably power users who would most likely already know that turning off JavaScript can cause parts of web sites not to work. Just my 2 cents.

All in all, I have no sympathy for users who turn off JavaScript for no reason and if they have problems on our site because they did something stupid, chances are they will also have problems using our downloadable software products. This means there's a good chance they will cost more to support than we will make off them and so I don't worry about too much about losing their business due to JavaScript being turned off.

Of course, I'm just a mean computer nerd so there you go.
Getting back into x-cart dev after a long hiatus. Modded lots of x-carts from version 3.1.x to 4.1.x. Developer of ImageScaler mod, Pre-login per user coupon mod, Wordpress feed mod, DigitalSubscriptions mod, Phonetic bulk download keys addon for DownloadExpander mod, Serial Number Generator for ESD products, Custom CMS/LMS integrations, external products mod, and more.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:38 PM

X-Man

Maybe the 5-10% was overstated but the javscript in x-cart is not essential to purchase items from the store and even with it switched off they will be able to purchase. Personally, I cannot see why people turn off things like JS

Pop up windows can be good but generally I dont think it is worth a re-write of the xcart shopping process to make it work this way.

Nothing wrong with being a computer nerd
Old 04-11-2003, 12:07 AM

Advanced Member

Default computer nerds are cool ;-)

Hhehe...

But I do see the point.

And the only reason why I found that popup cool is that you can continue shopping from where you are, without being redirected to a shopping basket page. That was the tought. And the reason why the site is probably cauz you're in the states (or somwhere outside of holland). I have the same with a lot of US sites.

Cheers,
Guy
Old 04-11-2003, 12:19 AM

X-Man

You already have this option within xcart in the general settings - a checkbox is all that is needed to keep the user on the same page that they added to the cart from...purely for that reason.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:26 AM

Advanced Member

Default ???

???
Old 04-11-2003, 12:27 AM

Advanced Member

Is it used a lot?
Old 04-11-2003, 12:32 AM

X-Man

Quite often.

If you have the kinda store that has multiple purchases rather than one large one then definietly worthwhile switching it on cos it keeps the user browsing the store. The mini-cart gets updated though with the item added to the cart.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions