Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

BCS global product option module

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 07-12-2007, 07:58 AM

Question BCS global product option module

Hi there,
does any one know or even better is there anyone here from BCS that can tell me about the Global Product Options mod available for sale from BCS.

The reason I need global product options is that my catalogue with all its product types and option combinations has some 46000 products/price variations so with a picture for each option on each product to show the variant the database would be 7GB. Clearly my server won't take that and the store would be monumentally slow even if it could.

What I need to know is, does the Global product options add on, really make, perhaps just 20 options global , and there are only 20 pictures in the option gallery, and only add the picture and or price modifier when it is selected during a customer shopping.

Or does the Global production option just present admin with a way of applying options globally but when you apply them all it really does is to enter the several thousand database entries automaticially for you via the normal hardwork xcart product managment way, effectively doing the legwork of still creating the huge product list. I.e there are still many duplicates and the database is unmanagably large, but you just see the options through a window that makes you think that only 20 option entries exist, whereas in reality it has behind the scenes created 40000 or so entries.

Any ideas

Many thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 11:51 AM

Veteran

Default Re: BCS global product option module

Moving to Third Party Add-Ons. Have you contacted BCS directly?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:55 AM

I sent a private message a while ago, but I cannot seem to find any email address on their site to ask the question.

Do you know of any contact details?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:56 AM

Veteran

Just use the contact form on their site:

http://bcsengineering.com/contact.shtml
Old 07-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom B
Hi there,
does any one know or even better is there anyone here from BCS that can tell me about the Global Product Options mod available for sale from BCS.

The reason I need global product options is that my catalogue with all its product types and option combinations has some 46000 products/price variations so with a picture for each option on each product to show the variant the database would be 7GB. Clearly my server won't take that and the store would be monumentally slow even if it could.

What I need to know is, does the Global product options add on, really make, perhaps just 20 options global , and there are only 20 pictures in the option gallery, and only add the picture and or price modifier when it is selected during a customer shopping.

Or does the Global production option just present admin with a way of applying options globally but when you apply them all it really does is to enter the several thousand database entries automaticially for you via the normal hardwork xcart product managment way, effectively doing the legwork of still creating the huge product list. I.e there are still many duplicates and the database is unmanagably large, but you just see the options through a window that makes you think that only 20 option entries exist, whereas in reality it has behind the scenes created 40000 or so entries.

Any ideas

Many thanks

This and alot of simular functionality present in Store Manager for X-Cart by MagneticOne - www.xcart-manager.com
It was designed especially for merchants with large stores.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM

Smile Re: BCS global product option module

Hi Savajar,
I have had a look at the site and it looks very useful, I shall have to investigate further.

However managing a large store is one thing, organising a store and its product variants so it does not have to be big is another.

I want 20 product entries. and for those products I want to apply about 10 variant/price modifiers in 3 catagories. i.e. you would have a product page and on that page you have 3 drop down boxes with 10-12 choices in each box (could be cut down a bit by dynamic boxes) So I want my database to have 50 entries (20+10+10+10) in total to create all the products that I sell in all combinations.
However the way Xcart works is that each product would have a database entry for each combination of all variants which would be approx 20 x 10 x 10 x 10= 20,000. and if each picture is 150K then thats at least 3gb, even though the pictures will be repeats over and over in each catagory, so there are only 20 pictures that are different in the 20,000.

Does your softwares global product options just do this same easy copying or does it apply the global options as I need them making only a very small number of database entries?

I have contacted BCS and they told me that their global product options basicially is a product options copier that does all the leg work for you, so it would do nothing to cut down the size of the database, it just makes it easier to apply options to all your products.

They said they could custom code what I am after but they are booked up for several months.
So I am still stuck.

Dom B
Old 07-17-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom B
Hi Savajar,
I have had a look at the site and it looks very useful, I shall have to investigate further.

However managing a large store is one thing, organising a store and its product variants so it does not have to be big is another.

I want 20 product entries. and for those products I want to apply about 10 variant/price modifiers in 3 catagories. i.e. you would have a product page and on that page you have 3 drop down boxes with 10-12 choices in each box (could be cut down a bit by dynamic boxes) So I want my database to have 50 entries (20+10+10+10) in total to create all the products that I sell in all combinations.
However the way Xcart works is that each product would have a database entry for each combination of all variants which would be approx 20 x 10 x 10 x 10= 20,000. and if each picture is 150K then thats at least 3gb, even though the pictures will be repeats over and over in each catagory, so there are only 20 pictures that are different in the 20,000.

Does your softwares global product options just do this same easy copying or does it apply the global options as I need them making only a very small number of database entries?

I have contacted BCS and they told me that their global product options basicially is a product options copier that does all the leg work for you, so it would do nothing to cut down the size of the database, it just makes it easier to apply options to all your products.

They said they could custom code what I am after but they are booked up for several months.
So I am still stuck.

Dom B

Dom

I understood from your initial request that you want like link 1 product option to multiple products (20k).

Store Manager has very easy product option copy.
It works like this:
1. Select product options for one product, press Copy button
2. Select multiple products(any or all) to apply these option to and press Paste button
thats it, can't be easier.

Anyhow it is still copying product options which multiply them.

One advantage of copying - if you will need to change option for PART of them - you are still free to do this since this is copy(not direct link which should be same for all linked)

I do realize that in your case this can be sort of problematic due to size restrictions.

I recommend give Store Manager a try by downloading free demo now, available from its website.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:01 PM

Advanced Member

I am trying to demo your store manager program. It is not easy with no manual and only a few online help topics. Also fun that the demo only stays open for two minutes and is severely limited. I specifically want to be able to add options to all products which this thread suggested your product will do but I do not see how to select copy and paste options to other products. Some things are intuitive and others are not at all obvious. Do I need to get the paid version to be able to try this? Please e-mail me directly as I may not check this thread and the automatic notification does not seem to work. spencer@spencerserolls.com
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4