Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart Smart Template v4.4.x

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Default Re: X-Cart Smart Template v4.4.x

Really like the Smart Template. I have a question for Phil or anyone else that know.

How do search engines read the Heading Tags if Cufon fonts are on & off?

When I look at my site, the heading 1 (the category or product name) will show up 2 times on each page - Once at the very top and then also in the top of the first table.

So is this heading being duplicated to search engines when the Cufon font is off and what about on??
Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM

X-Guru

Cufon is rendered with javascript, search engines will only see the HTML code for the headings, so does not really affect SEO.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cufon+seo

Having said that, I wouldn't use Cufon again, as Google fonts are a better solution for custom fonts and hosted on the Google CDN (until they decide to pull the plug as they're doing with Google reader )
Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 AM

X-Guru

Template news... The Adapt, Ability and Smart templates will not be updated beyond X-Cart v4.5.5, as they will be replaced with a single new fully responsive template, which will be launching early-mid April.

Adapt, Ability and Smart are however open-source from now on, so one license will enable you to use on as many stores as you wish. Prices will be dropped also.

The new template will be compatible with X-Cart Gold, Gold Plus and Platinum and only have 'essential' features included.

With a single template code base, it will be easier to maintain and update to newer X-Cart versions (quality, not quantity).

This is partly brought on by the radical changes in X-Cart lately, but is also necessary so that we can provide better support and updates for customers.

I would be interested to get some feedback on what 'essential' features you think ought to be included in the new template...

Thanks, Phil.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJ
Cufon is rendered with javascript, search engines will only see the HTML code for the headings, so does not really affect SEO.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cufon+seo

Having said that, I wouldn't use Cufon again, as Google fonts are a better solution for custom fonts and hosted on the Google CDN (until they decide to pull the plug as they're doing with Google reader )

Okay, I will be updating to one of your new templates when I have some time.

For now, with the smart template, would you recommend using the cufon fonts or not?
- If I use the cufon, I am guessing this may slow the site a little? (what are any other negatives?)
- If I dont use the cufon, I am guessing the titles are duplicated?

Please confirm and thanks for your help!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:28 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJ
Anyone wishing to display bestsellers in horizontal format... (not in side menu)

1) Adjust the bestseller module settings to disable the bestsellers in the menu.

2) Upload the attached bestsellers.tpl file to...

skin/smart_template/modules/Bestsellers

3) In modules/Bestsellers/bestsellers.php

Before...

Code:
$smarty->assign_by_ref('bestsellers', $bestsellers);

Insert...

Code:
# Get Bestseller Product Descriptions foreach ($bestsellers as $k => $v) { $bestsellers[$k]['descr'] = func_query_first_cell("select descr from $sql_tbl[products] where productid='$v[productid]'"); }

4) Clear template cache.

I cant seem to get the description to work in version 4.5, the description doesnt show up with this code, please can you help, thanks in advance

Ultimate 5.4 testing
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4