Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Product Configurator and Upselling Module

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 09-06-2007, 07:00 AM

Lightbulb Product Configurator and Upselling Module

I had a situation where I wanted to upsell some products to a product configurated product (a package). However, the upsells were not "item" specific That is, you would not attach the upsold item to EACH item in the quantity of the configured product. You could simply add the item to the cart, but the item itself had no value without being associated with a configured product. Here is my example:

A customer buys a CD duplication service that contains:

- media
- packaging (jewel case, etc.)
- inserts (booklets, etc.)

Now, they want to add full color printing to this package. Full color printing is NOT sold by the piece, but as a single priced item (you could buy 1 and only 1 of this item at any time, see my post on MAX_AMOUNT for this little hack).

Anyway, it would be easy to simply add this as a related item to the package, BUT, the related items are displayed only BEFORE you configure a package, and not AFTER. So, the follow little hack allows you to display the related items on the product configurator's SUMMARY page (so that the user can select the item AFTER they've configured the original CD duplication package).

Here are the steps:

1. Modify /modules/Product_Configurator/pconf_common.tpl

Add these lines to the very end of the the file:

{if $mode eq "pconf_summary"}
<br/>
{include file="modules/Upselling_Products/related_products.tpl"}
{/if}

2. Modify /pconf.php
Add these lines to the file just prior to the $smarty->assign lines (near the end of the file)

if (!empty($active_modules["Upselling_Products"]))
include $xcart_dir."/modules/Upselling_Products/related_products.php";

3. Configure the Upselling Products Module to open in a new window. This will make sure that once an upsold product is added to the cart, you can easily navigate back to the configured product's summary page and add that to the cart as well.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions