Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Auto add 5% to PayPal orders...

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 03-02-2006, 07:18 AM

Default Auto add 5% to PayPal orders...

This will add 5% to PayPal orders so you don't lose out when the customer orders via PayPal. Not sure if this is actually worthy of being in here, but I thought I would share anyway.

In payments/ps_paypal.php

Find:
Code:
$u_phone = preg_replace('![^\d]+!', '', $userinfo["phone"]);

Add below:
Code:
$paypaltotal = $cart["total_cost"] * 1.05;

Find:
Code:
<input type=hidden name=amount value="<?php printf("%0.2f", $cart["total_cost"]); ?>">

Replace with:
Code:
<input type=hidden name=amount value="<?php printf("%0.2f", $paypaltotal); ?>">

Seems to work OK for me using version 4.0.17.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:40 AM

X-Adept

Works great.

Only the invoice is not updated. So the customer won't see the total price he has to pay on the invoice. But only on Paypal.
Does anyone know how to update the invoice also?

X-Cart Gold 4.1.8 (Live & Loaded)
Royal Bhaktapur: Handmade products from Nepal - Pashmina's, scarfs, shawls, stola's and more...
Old 08-14-2006, 02:26 AM

im not sure how to do that - could someone look at this pls ?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:16 PM

eXpert

I would not recommend using this script.

It's against Paypal's policy to charge a fee for using their service. If they find out about it, you'll have your account pulled.

Also, as a buyer, I would not buy from you if you charged me a fee to use thier service for your convenience.

I can't find it in their policy off hand, but I know it's in there soemwhere.
Advanced Order Management Module
RMA Module
Feature Compare Module
Blue Dream theme by 7Dana.com
Old 10-28-2006, 03:00 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Auto add 5% to PayPal orders...

Think that policy was an ebay policy so you didn't charge extra for paying by paypal. Not suprisingly really considering ebay wants everything paid by paypal as they are the same company. I can't think of any reason why you couldn't charge a service charge for using paypal, I know many other companies do.

Andy
Old 10-28-2006, 04:32 AM

X-Guru

As a customer, if you surcharge paypal or credit cards, I'm gone...

Merchant fees are part of the cost of doing business.

And it IS against paypal policy to surcharge to cover fees...

Quote:
PayPal users are not permitted to impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. For more information, please see Section V of the Payments (Sending, Receiving, Withdrawing) Policy in PayPal's User Agreement.

The way around this is to offer a "discount" for specific payment methods... so a "normal" transaction has your surcharge built in, and other types of transaction get a "discount"... I still think this is bad.

In my opinion, If you choose to offer an expensive payment gateway, it's not the customer's problem - it's the merchant's. You can get a 2% merchant account with low monthly fees. It's the cost of being in business.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
As a customer, if you surcharge paypal or credit cards, I'm gone...

Merchant fees are part of the cost of doing business.

And it IS against paypal policy to surcharge to cover fees...

The way around this is to offer a "discount" for specific payment methods... so a "normal" transaction has your surcharge built in, and other types of transaction get a "discount"... I still think this is bad.

In my opinion, If you choose to offer an expensive payment gateway, it's not the customer's problem - it's the merchant's. You can get a 2% merchant account with low monthly fees. It's the cost of being in business.

Yes merchant fees are the merchants problem, but either we include it in the selling price or charge a fee for it. either way the customer pays it. At least having a lower advertised price prior to checkout, you will attract more buyers to go to checkout and if they dont like the fee, they can change to a different payment method.

If Paypal is the most convenient way to pay online, then what do they have to worry about.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:31 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFire
Works great.

Only the invoice is not updated. So the customer won't see the total price he has to pay on the invoice. But only on Paypal.
Does anyone know how to update the invoice also?

greets,

in 4.1.x, you can add the surcharge for each payment method in admin and it will appear on the invoice. is this not the case for other versions?

i do however agree that it's not a good idea to pass on merchant acct fees to the consumer. i can't imagine walking into a grocery store and being told i'd have to pay a flat transaction charge and a % of the sale as well.

depending on how large your average ticket is, why not just add a standard markup to the shipping/handling fee?
Old 02-08-2007, 04:08 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by neaisha
greets,

in 4.1.x, you can add the surcharge for each payment method in admin and it will appear on the invoice. is this not the case for other versions?

i do however agree that it's not a good idea to pass on merchant acct fees to the consumer. i can't imagine walking into a grocery store and being told i'd have to pay a flat transaction charge and a % of the sale as well.

depending on how large your average ticket is, why not just add a standard markup to the shipping/handling fee?

Unfortunately this is not possible for the 4.0.X version. This feature was built in later in the 4.1.x version. But I totally agree with everyone about charging additional costs, its the risk of being in business.

X-Cart Gold 4.1.8 (Live & Loaded)
Royal Bhaktapur: Handmade products from Nepal - Pashmina's, scarfs, shawls, stola's and more...
Old 06-10-2007, 09:43 PM

The reason that it is against paypal's policy is that it is actually against VISA, MC, etc's policies to charge a fee to use their services. If caught they will revoke your merchant accounts. The way around it is to add to shipping and handling. Even some brick and mortar stores do charge you for using credit - and to get around the policies it has to be an administrative fee such as a handling charge.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions