Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

XC 5.3 Thumbnail Trick

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 08-23-2016, 02:13 AM

Default XC 5.3 Thumbnail Trick

My apologies if this trick is something all of you already know. When I uploaded my prodcts via CSV, it stored the photos in images/products. XC5 then creates thumbnails automatically in various sizes and assigns them to another folder.

I think many of you had the same problem I had. The thumbnails quality looks a little pixelated. Not horrible, but could look better.

The trick I used to fix that problem involved changing the thumbnail size in Admin>>Look and Feel>>Images. I adjusted the 'Products list image' for list and grid view, from the default 160px by 160px to 480 x 480.

I think in order to have this work, the images have to be within a <container> having a max-width that is smaller than the 480x480 (I chose 50% of the 480 which 240px max-width). This will result in the 480x480 image being dynamically reduced in size, offering a much cleaner thumbnail.

Sorry if this is beginner knowledge, but there is no documentation on suggested sizes to make it look optimal on XC5.3.

Hope this helps some of us newbies out there

The following 2 users thank spa08 for this useful post:
qualiteam (09-01-2016), xim (08-24-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 09:05 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: XC 5.3 Thumbnail Trick

Ugh,

I just upgraded from 5.2 to 5.3.1 and have the same problem. This is a bug as in the 5.2 version of the Variants Table View module would display the full size image, but the new 5.3.0 version of Variants table view now shows the '100pixel x 100pixel' thumbnail image which is then resized to the size you have set to display your product images.

of course then the product images get completely pixelated which is terrible.

I have opened a trouble ticket at this point I consider the 'Variants Table View' module completely broken.

its bad enough that it doesn't support clickable images that then can blow up to a light-box like it used to do in the 4.x version of this.

Hopefully the amazing x-cart development team can fix this quickly.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:00 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwashburn
I have opened a trouble ticket at this point I consider the 'Variants Table View' module completely broken.
Hopefully the amazing x-cart development team can fix this quickly.

The module is created by an independent developer, not the XC5 dev team.
I've forwarded your message to the module author.

---

User manual Video tutorials X-Cart FAQ

You are welcome to press "Thanks" button
if you find this post useful

Click here to learn how to apply patches

X-Cart Extensions
Old 11-01-2016, 08:20 AM

Advanced Member

I want to thank the independent developer for fixing the image problem, I awoke to find an update for the module which fixed the problem (btw, you forgot to increment the version number as it is still listed as version 5.3.1).

If you are reading this, I would like to beg, plead, get on my knees and hope that you are open to adding these additional bug fixes and features to the module.

The Variants Table View add-on that is available for x-cart version 4.x has these features and the fact that they are missing from the 5.x version is very sad and is causing us loss of sales.

(please see the link below to the screen shots that will explain the issues in a more visual way)!

List the bugs and features that we hope can be fixed and added to this module:
  1. (Bug) - If a variant is out of stock, the 4.x version would gray out the 'Buy' box and instead say 'out of stock'. The 5.x module allows you to enter in a quantity and then displays an error: 'Maximum Value is 0'

This should be a priority as it is very confusing to customers.
  2. (Critical Feature Missing) The 4.x version has a mini 'add-to-cart' button next to the 'buy' quantity of each variant table row. Using the 5.x version you have to type in the quantity and then scroll all the way down to the bottom to find the 'add-to-cart' button.

This is very confusing to the customer, many of which simply abandon that page as they cannot figure out where to add the items to the cart. Especially if there are a lot of variants and the page stretches down far.
  3. (Important Feature Missing) The 4.x version allows for the main product beauty Shot to be a separate image. The new 5.x version now takes the first variant and makes that image the 'category' image. This makes no sense as our main category shot us usually a grouping of the many different product variants and then the variants are the photos of the individual items (see attached).

There is a terrible work around where we have to create a 'blank' variant and force it to become the 'primary/default' variant. This is not an acceptable solution as it allows customers to select the blank variant and add it into the shopping cart.
  4. The 4.x version of the module would pop up a larger image of the variant if you hovered your mouse over the image...sadly this beautiful feature is missing in the new 5.x module.

This is less critical as the bugs/missing features above are far more important to fix.
Please see the attached images to see how fantastic the 4.x module was compared to this new one and thank you in advance for your help in fixing these bugs and hopefully adding the missing features.

Screenshot of 4.x Variant Table View showing variant 'out of stock'
http://i.imgur.com/YMKS54U.png

Variant Table View 4.x showing 'hover over image' feature and how main (boss) image is independent from the Variant images.
http://i.imgur.com/1MzMild.png
Old 07-10-2018, 05:57 AM

Exclamation Re: XC 5.3 Thumbnail Trick

Hi, I am also looking for the features mgwashburn has mentioned above, particularly the mini add-to-cart buttons. Is there anyone who can direct me to a workable solution for this?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:05 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by megretson
Hi, I am also looking for the features mgwashburn has mentioned above, particularly the mini add-to-cart buttons. Is there anyone who can direct me to a workable solution for this?

The mini add-to-cart buttons are an embedded feature of X-Cart 5.
I am attaching screenshots of the setting you need to check and how it looks on the default skin and Crisp White.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	setting.png
Views:	354
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	5186  Click image for larger version

Name:	default_skin.png
Views:	359
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	5187  Click image for larger version

Name:	crisp_white.png
Views:	354
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	5188  

---

User manual Video tutorials X-Cart FAQ

You are welcome to press "Thanks" button
if you find this post useful

Click here to learn how to apply patches

X-Cart Extensions
Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 AM

Hi, and thanks for your reply!

The add-to-cart button you reference there is not what mgwashburn and I were mentioning in our posts. I am looking to add an "add-to-cart" button at the end of every row in the variant table module, not on a catalog page as shown in your screenshots.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)