Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Easily swap-able skins (mod_skinswap)

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 09-26-2002, 09:23 PM

X-Guru

Default Easily swap-able skins (mod_skinswap)

Ok, so I had an idea while in the shower one day:
mod_skinswap.

http://www.cart-lab.com/xcart/files/images/detailed/d_47_01.gif

Create a method that would allow x-cart users the ability to swap skin directories dynamically, the main thing it requires is editing every single php file, swapping the requires for the smarty.php and config.php. Along with some modifications to both files, the database, and templates.

Such would allow x-cart administrators an easy way to keep a "fresh" or "dynamic" look, their customers are experiencing. Seasonal skins would defiantly work in favor as well Or even making a separate config value that would allow the option of "Random" skins, from a range.

I'd also like to add a separate window that will show a directory listing so that it is easy to identify skin directories. OR create a base skin directory similar to how winamp does it, one skin directory, each subfolder being the skin's "theme name". Either way it needs more modifications that would need to be made to make it more "idiot proof"

Anyhow, I've got this working with 3.1.3a gold (no randomness, or file selectors) but its easily controlable from the admin area. If anyone wants to take a peek, no different skin yet, but i'm working on it
Old 09-26-2002, 10:50 PM

Great Idea! I actually thought of this as well, but have no clue how to implement it. This will be perfect for my site since it is currently in a Fantasyland state. I would then be able to offer sellers and potentially users the ability to select what theme they would like (eg Tomorrowland, Frontierland, New Orleans Square (Pirates, Haunted Mansion), etc.). Please let me know when this is available so I won't have to pay you 10+ consulting hours.... kidding
Old 09-27-2002, 05:59 AM

X-Guru

disneyana, if you want to take a peek, PM me. I'm all up for additions to the idea. Hopefully such a feature could exist in the next x-cart release? If not i'll have to make another mod, but its all fun. *hint*hint*to*x-cart The only deal that I'm curious (by looking at the changelog) I noticed:

Thu Sep 5 16:40:58 (MSD) - zorg - moved variables from skin1.conf to database

I'm curious if this may effect the system I have setup, but time will tell.
kudos!

UPDATED: I took a look at version 3.2.0 and it seems this mod will still work the same with slight adjustments. woohoo!
Old 10-01-2002, 06:04 AM

Default Keep me posted

I am very interested in this feature...

Can you keep me posted as this progresses. I too saw the 3.2.0 use of the similar skinning idea... it could have used a better variety of design elements but still got the point across... did it allow you to change the skin after installation?

good day,
Hyperdelicious
Old 10-01-2002, 08:45 AM

X-Guru

Right now its still in a beta form, as I was just curious if it was possible, and Ive not really extended the features much, eventually I would like to add more features if I can find the time or if someone requests this mod.

The new skin install is defiantly nice, although all it does is replace home.tpl for the layout and the colors are just different style sheets with a few replaced graphics on install. As this is a very good idea, however I am wanting it easy to download, copy a new skin to your x-cart directory, log into the admin and specify the new skin, and boom its running, no modifications made to the default, this is more for people who want to offer pre-built x-cart skins a method of easily installing and swapping the skins out.

anyhow... thanks for the interest.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:57 PM

Default Darn

I would be very interested in this feature as well. I am currently trying to get the images from http://www.silverstoneit.com/temp/mojo integrated into my current x-cart which has been modified heavily by the x-cart staff.

And to have a system that would easily allow for the swap of a whole extremely customized skin would be terrific.

Paul Stephenson

ps. I might be contacting you soon for some possible skin integrations as I am curious how much it would cost to have you create a custom skin and integrate it.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:52 AM

X-Guru

This is somewhat similar to what we would like to do. If anybody wants to design this for free or make us a quote feel free (intenetonpoint@hotmail.com)

What we would like to do, is allow the "vendors" in the Pro version of the cart, be able to customize the look of the store. This doesn't have to be done via the admin or vendor management sections, as I can customize templates for each of the vendors.

For example:

The main store: http://www.domain.com/xcart/store.php
Vendor 1's store: http://www.domain.com/xcart/store.php?template=vendor1
Vendor 2's store: http://www.domain.com/xcart/store.php?template=vendor2
Vendor 3's store: http://www.domain.com/xcart/store.php?template=vendor3

All of the above links would have different template looks to them, though it is only one store, with a central database, one merchant account, etc. We want ONE store with MULTIPLE templates.

The linking doesn't need to be as stated above, as long as the final outcome of multiple templates is accomplished.

This could be further advanced by allowing the vendors to choose which products they want to display within their templates.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:22 AM

X-Guru

Jon, what your refering too is what the mod_skinswap would allow you to do

Was even thinking of making the customer be able to "choose" a skin of their own choice as well, kind of like phpBB does
Old 10-21-2002, 01:44 PM

X-Guru

Any idea when this might be ready, this is an absolute for what we want to do. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:08 PM

X-Guru

Jon, if you would like I can setup the beta version of it now, as there are no critical bugs only features I still want to add. Please get in touch with me offline if you wish.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4