Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Looking for template personalization/design service

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 02-20-2020, 10:29 AM

Advanced Member

Default Looking for template personalization/design service

I need a business or a freelance that offer X-Cart5 template personalization and/or design, at reasonable prices.

Does anyone here offer this service?

Best regards
Old 02-20-2020, 03:41 PM

Veteran

Default Re: Looking for template personalization/design service

I am sure all of us who offers such services does charge a reasonable fee. The question is what is "reasonable" to you?

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
xim (02-24-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 06:12 AM

X-Guru

I would agree with Steve, I think we all charge a reasonable fee for our services. It's just what is reasonable to you.

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!

The following user thanks BCSE for this useful post:
xim (02-24-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 05:53 AM

Good point. And I suppose my question is...how long does it take to make design changes in xcart? Not in hours (obviously) but say, for example, the look/feel of the megamenus changed, or the way the product slideshow changed, or a change of the mobile site layout (some elements hidden) is it a lengthy process? Or one that might take a day & cost x amount?

I think Im realising that some things in xcart are very difficult to modify, & design is one. And thats not the developers, but just the way xcart is. The problem is that in many ways its a great back end....but its front end is pretty pedestrian. Im not sure what the absolute experts can get out of it, or whether the experience Ive had so far of some design things just not working properly &/or breaking other bits when changed is just part of the limitations.

Difficult to be candid here, I know.. but it would be really good to know what xcart can NOT do. Every system has its limits, the problems come when you dont know what they are.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:46 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomodern
Good point. And I suppose my question is...how long does it take to make design changes in xcart? Not in hours (obviously) but say, for example, the look/feel of the megamenus changed, or the way the product slideshow changed, or a change of the mobile site layout (some elements hidden) is it a lengthy process? Or one that might take a day & cost x amount?

I think Im realising that some things in xcart are very difficult to modify, & design is one. And thats not the developers, but just the way xcart is. The problem is that in many ways its a great back end....but its front end is pretty pedestrian. Im not sure what the absolute experts can get out of it, or whether the experience Ive had so far of some design things just not working properly &/or breaking other bits when changed is just part of the limitations.

Difficult to be candid here, I know.. but it would be really good to know what xcart can NOT do. Every system has its limits, the problems come when you dont know what they are.

It really depends on what you want to change. As long as you don't touch the store logic and database, you should basically need to deal with view classes and twig files, which shouldn't take so much time and efforts. However, the price of templates seem to indicate otherwise...

One thing xcart can't do: go javascript-free. Aside from that, I guess it "can" handle "pretty much everything", once one knows the right way to do it...
Old 03-01-2020, 04:53 PM

Veteran

Making simple changes to template may be easy but when you start moving certain elements to different locations may not be as easy as it sounds.

Let's say you have an element that shows within certain css id or class. You want to move it to another location outside this css id or class (outside its original parent). You can of course.

Now imagine this block of twig code you move to another location is supposed to dynamically change when certain condition is applied to the original code. This will be applied through js script to the css id/class element when some link/button is clicked. When you move the block outside its original parent this block of code will no longer change.
So no you have to either move the block within same parent css id/class or decorate the js script to change it when the original one changes.

Unfortunately XC heavily relies on js.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:43 AM

Advanced Member

Hello, thanks for you replies.
I'm not looking for a slave and with reasonable I mean a price that can be justified (i.e. 8 hours for changing a logo position in css and a finished work that has bugs that I must review and report, it is not reasonable)

I'd like to contact you by pm to submit my needs, can I contact you this way or do you prefer other methods?
Old 03-10-2020, 01:09 PM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinque
I'd like to contact you by pm to submit my needs, can I contact you this way or do you prefer other methods?

https://www.cflsystems.com/support - you can submit request there
Old 04-06-2020, 12:32 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
I am sure all of us who offers such services does charge a reasonable fee. The question is what is "reasonable" to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSE
I would agree with Steve, I think we all charge a reasonable fee for our services. It's just what is reasonable to you.
Carrie

Well, no. It's a little bit different.

The fact is that each developer has different experience and expertise, so he can evaluate different times for the same project can and consequently it will cost more or less than another. Also, he may have already done something similar to what I'm asking for, so he can offer it at a low price.

The "reasonable price" issue seems trivial but the following example describes exactly the problem I am encountering: I sent the exact same request to you two and another X-Cart4 experienced developer based in the United States.

The quotes were as follows:
  • developer A: price fair for the request
  • developer B: 3 times expensive than A, something is wrong here or the A developer's quality could be terrible
  • developer C: 7 times expensive than A, are you kidding me!?
For respect, I'm not going to reveal who is who, but don't tell me smiling that everyone applies reasonable prices.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:23 AM

Veteran

I think the remark "what is reasonable to you" still applies. So you did the smart thing to shop around. You got 3 estimates. One of them matches what YOU think is reasonable cost. You received what the devs consider it to be reasonable cost for your project based on what you gave them, what they can see and estimate as amount of work, difficulty level, etc. Whether this matches your expectation or not is different question.

You also have to consider this is work charged per hour and different devs have different hourly rate. If dev A is charging $50/hr and dev B is charging $100/hr even if they estimate same amount of hours to do the work dev B is still going to be twice as expensive. And dev C may be the one with the most experience, most knowledge and ability to get the work done as requested - it comes at a price.

The question you should ask yourself is - are you looking to get something done now and then do it again within a year or 2 (for whatever reason) or are you looking to have something than will be used for the next 5 years. Do you want it done right the first time or are you willing to risk lower cost vs quality. I am not saying the more expensive the better quality or the cheapest work is crap...

In other words this investment is it going to stay for a long period of time or is is more of a temporary thing for the time being.

It is in your hands to evaluate the devs you contacted for an estimate and find out if the higher cost they gave you is actually justified and worth doing. I hope you make the right decision.

P.S. Based on your request and the info in the thread here I am not sure which support ticket is this in my helpdesk but I have no problem being dev A, B or C. If you want to reveal it I have no objections. Whatever cost I gave you is justified and reasonable from my point of view.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)