Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

nginx | nginx (proxy) and Apache | Apache

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 07-05-2017, 08:12 PM

X-Wizard

Default nginx | nginx (proxy) and Apache | Apache

It's gratefully acknowledged that X-Cart 5 will run on any of these three setup choices, but.... it's currently provided as a download that's good to go on Apache only. i.e. zero nginx setup files are included in the download (5.3.2.12 is current at the time of posting this thread although 5.3.3.1 is arriving very soon)

Our common sense questions are:

1) When will XC5 downloads be provided good to go in two versions i.e. nginx OR Apache? All server root access and many shared premium hosted store owners could then select either (possibly nginx if previous threads on this forum are an indication of the changing o/s preferences). After a lot of our own test and prep work, we currently use nginx (proxy) and Apache, which delivers great speeds, but still allows .htaccess usage, which therefore by definition still makes it slightly slower than an nginx only clean install.

2) There's almost zero nginx setup reference points within existing accessible XC Data other than: One and Two plus various users helpful posts in this forum e.g. this one. There's other forum threads and other small XCart Technical references but nothing suitable for use during a complete swap over from Apache to nginx anywhere that we can find. Have we simply missed the correct page / file / data download XCart?

Previously, a great Marketing / PR fuss was made about XCart 5 being suitable for use with PHP 7.0 but when asked several times by several people; "...and the setup details for PHP 7.0 are where please?" the only answer was a stoney silence or a very polite "...ahhh we haven't had enough feedback yet..." Hmmm Well how was it extensively tested and verified then? Was the obvious question! That setup information is still outstanding from X-Cart, even now (unless the 5.3.3.1 release will rectify that perhaps?) We are managing this ourselves but there has been the odd technical challenge as PHP 7.0 continues it's development at a fast pace and XCart is sometimes just slightly behind that. PHP 7.0 setup info? @AlexDyatchkov are you listening? ...

3) If X-Cart Hosting uses an nginx only setup, then this nginx setup information is already available (but for whatever reason it's hidden ) We don't use X-Cart Hosting hence our question, but this will be a simple and helpful answer from XCart...

4) If X-Cart Hosting uses the same setup as we do i.e. nginx (proxy) and Apache, okay fine but then our question would be where are the XCart development team currently up to in delivering an nginx only version of XCart 5? Not Yet Programmed? Near? Never Going To Happen? As paying end users. It would be very nice to know!

The following user thanks Triple A Racing for this useful post:
cflsystems (07-06-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:49 PM

Advanced Staff Users

X-Cart team

Default Re: nginx | nginx (proxy) and Apache | Apache

Tony, thank you for your feedback. I guess I can answer some questions here:

1) Well, it will be hard to provide auto-installable configs for the nginx server, since it doesn't utilises any local files like .htaccess and can't be configured by webserver user (generally). That is why we offer some documentation on our Knowledge Base.

2) Nginx setup articles are on http://kb.x-cart.com site, not the "devs" one. Try searching for the "nginx" term, it'll show some general articles with nginx sections:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Снимок экрана 2017-07-14 в 10.31.27.png
Views:	372
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	4959

The common configuration is described in http://kb.x-cart.com/en/general_setup/setting_up_seo-friendly_urls.html and http://kb.x-cart.com/en/setting_up_x-cart_5_environment/secure_configuration.html. It is sufficient to run X-Cart store (my own dev-installation runs with this config).

Please tell us if you would like to see some deeper insights into nginx configuration.

The following user thanks Daemos for this useful post:
Triple A Racing (07-13-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 12:03 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemos
1) Well, it will be hard to provide auto-installable configs for the nginx server, since it doesn't utilises any local files like .htaccess and can't be configured by webserver user (generally)...
Thanks for this explanation. The reason we asked, is because other software suppliers do regularly do exactly this. Yes there are server specific nginx config settings to be addressed, we realise that, but in the case of any current XC5 (Apache only) download, the main (root) .htaccess file to start with (!) needs a degree of server specific customisation anyway, from any store owners wanting maximum performance / security etc so it's just the same scenario really, but with a lot less files
Quote:
The common configuration is described in http://kb.x-cart.com/en/general_setup/setting_up_seo-friendly_urls.html and http://kb.x-cart.com/en/setting_up_x-cart_5_environment/secure_configuration.html. It is sufficient to run X-Cart store (my own dev-installation runs with this config)
Thank you, we've read those. Our questions are:
a) Is there an update of these pages planned for XC 5.3.3.*?
b) On your own dev-installation have you actually, physically deleted ALL .htaccess files and switched to an nginx only setup (i.e. not nginx proxy ahead of Apache) prior to successfully running XC5?
c) What was the answer to X-Cart Hosting using nginx only setups? To which question b) is relevant too for their setup
Quote:
Please tell us if you would like to see some deeper insights into nginx configuration.
Other than those questions above, not at this moment thanks. We'll try this on our Dev Store ourselves once we have read those answers.

Not connected to nginx but finally what was the answer to the PHP 7.0 questions? We're on 7.1.7 and running our own changes to suit, but others won't be / don't want to be / can't be yet etc and it's still a major information black hole for XC5 use
Old 07-14-2017, 12:30 AM

Advanced Staff Users

X-Cart team

Answering on your questions:

a) Nope, no update is needed for 5.3.3.x versions, they run the same config.
b) I didn't delete any .htaccess, they are being simply ignored, but yes, I'm running nginx only setup and don't see any problems with apache configs left in the store folders.
c) Can tell anything about X-Cart hosting setups, but from my experience they don't run anything peculiar. I guess @AlexDyatchkov could share more.

Also, i can't provide any specific php 7.x settings. My own dev-config doesn't differ from 5.x one, but that is not a performance setup. I think that a performance-good configuration has to be tailor-made for the specific server and our recommendations would be useless.

I hope this helps.

The following user thanks Daemos for this useful post:
Triple A Racing (07-14-2017)
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)