Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Help upgrading from 5.3 to 5.4

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 03-01-2022, 05:39 PM

Advanced Member

Default Help upgrading from 5.3 to 5.4

Currently I'm on x-cart 5.3.6.8 (all stock add-ons nothing modified) and going to upgrade to 5.4.1.31
My server wont let me run PHP 7.2 soon so i need to get it sorted.
Where exactly do I start because I was assuming a fresh install of 5.4.1.31 then pulling in the old database then all the settings and such manually.
Is there a simpler way or is that the right way to go about it?
Its been a few years since I messed with this so I'm a bit rusty.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:23 AM

Veteran

Default Re: Help upgrading from 5.3 to 5.4

XC5 upgrade is done through the backend directly. It will pull all necessary files and install the upgrade. If you have any custom modules you will have to revised them and make them 5.4.x compatible first as the code is very different between 5.3.x and 5.4.x.
Also your server should be running on PHP and MySQL versions that are highest for 5.3.x and lowest for 5.4.x - PHP 7.2.x and MySQL 5.7. After the upgrade you should switch to PHP 7.4 and MySQL 8.
If you cannot do this on your own server you can do the upgrade on another server or even local machine and then push everything to the live server. Of course the live server.
If your live server will not run PHP 7 and up - get another host. Any PHP version below 7.4.x is out of support and should not be used.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:27 PM

Advanced Member

Thanks for your fast reply and taking the time to answer.

I have the entire 45+K files of 5.4.1.31 sitting in a sub directory of the website right now.
Server is currently downgraded to PHP 7.2 and MySQL 5.7
When you say "It will pull all necessary files and install the upgrade" where do i go from here because i don't see any upgrade packs like you would use for the old x-cart 4 for switching from version to version. Please excuse my ignorance if its something staring me right in the face...

Much appreciate any input.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:55 AM

Veteran

You do not need any version files in a subdirectory. Login to your live site admin. If any upgrades are available, there should be of course in this case, you will see colored strip at the top or if you closed it - a green triangle at the top right corner. If you click on it it will take you to the upgrade page and just follow instructions. You do not need to manually download anything - the upgrade process does all it needs to do.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:39 AM

Advanced Member

It showed 39 updates at the top in orange of the admin page but whenever I'd click that it would just say "There are no updates available for your version" Did the same when you went to the bell icon and clicked "updates are available"

So I went back on the admin page again (after reading your last message), saw the orange line at the top and this time clicked the x to close that. Then after that little icon in the top right appeared (as you mentioned) clicked that and now it showed core update in the orange bar at the top. Clicked that and now its going to the proper core update... 5.3 to 5.4

It's no wonder i couldn't find anything in reference to going from 5.3 to 5.4 lol
Your replies are much appreciated, I'm sure you were a tad confused as to my issue updating lol
Old 03-06-2022, 05:31 AM

Veteran

Good to know you managed
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)