Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart become subscription based, so what should I do?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 05-24-2022, 04:28 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: X-Cart become subscription based, so what should I do?

I know this is an old post - but yesterday I was talking to an old friend, their job is head of ecommerce for a managed services company - basically they create ecommerce sites for fairly large customers with thousands of products (they are bizarrely using WooCommerce plus their own code). The market is buoyant for "enterprise" level ecommerce platforms - so perhaps xcart see more revenue using this enterprise subscription model.

It is still the wrong decision as far as Im concerned.
php 7.x
Old 05-24-2022, 05:08 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo1967
I know this is an old post - but yesterday I was talking to an old friend, their job is head of ecommerce for a managed services company - basically they create ecommerce sites for fairly large customers with thousands of products (they are bizarrely using WooCommerce plus their own code). The market is buoyant for "enterprise" level ecommerce platforms - so perhaps xcart see more revenue using this enterprise subscription model.

It is still the wrong decision as far as Im concerned.

Beginning at $199 per month X-cart v.5.x is no longer affordable to most small merchants that have sales below $1000 per month or close. You can write to help@ and they will help you, but they are not selling X-cart 4.7.12 anymore.

I am still using 4.1.9 (also 4.7.12) and it works.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:01 AM

Veteran

Compare with other players in the field and you may find that is not actually that much. It is a different question what you are getting for it.
However other subscription based carts will charge you the same or even more per month and on top of that you still have to get tons of additional modules to run the business - of course again on monthly subscription.

There are some one-time fee carts still available some for like $2000 purchase price.

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
neonrider (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:27 AM

X-Adept

If you're selling between $5 and $5000 per month it is too much to pay $199/mo. because any month in this new and mad millenium can be no sales or low sales and you will end up spending your savings on nothing. Yet I am not advertising against X-cart. It just that there is a worldwide trend in all aspects of life and business, in order to destroy the very smallest business. Fedex/TNT is ripping people off with fantasy invoices sent weeks or months after the delivery date. EMS is opening up the shipments and confiscating legally allowed goods. Registered mail is being stolen left and right in formerly self-respectful and developed countries. Crime is skyrocketing. Banks now charge fees to keep your money. Absolute madness with USPS returning mail off the border and the ISC and the new rules to charge import duty even on 1c worth of goods. Etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on. If I was them I would have kept selling v.4.7.x to those who want to become owners rather than tenants.

There are still free carts available too as well such as osCommerce etc. but I am not trying to promote them here.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:34 AM

eXpert

i spoke with x-cart about the option to move to 5.
they confirmed they have both options. but main question is " is it really good idea?

i honestly like the template and x-cart 5dont have this , i beleive that the developer also moving to other shopping carts, but not the x-cart. so all this need to be thought. its also true that less and less developers are working with x-cart which makes the x-cart prices very expensive. i beleive when there is a lot of freelancers you have more bargain power..

need to rethink all this deeply

The following user thanks futurac for this useful post:
elmirage001 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 08:20 AM

eXpert

I wish they would make the decision to offer a "maintenance" or "update" plan for x-cart v4. I would gladly pay a (reasonable) monthly fee for access to updates so that we can at least get php v8 compatibility updates and things of that nature. At this point for v4, I feel like most people aren't necessarily looking for new features, but rather looking for a supported cart.

Development
X-Cart Gold Plus v4.7.12
- php 7.3
- reBOOT reDUX
- other goodies

X-Cart Gold v4.7.7
- reBOOT Template
- XPayments 3.0.2
- Abandoned Cart Reminder
- BCSE Reward Points
- BCSE Stock Notify
- XPDF Invoices

The following user thanks dpcompany for this useful post:
elmirage001 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 04:53 AM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcompany
At this point for v4, I feel like most people aren't necessarily looking for new features, but rather looking for a supported cart.

That's where the 3rd party devs come...
I'm surprised XC4 lasted that long thought given they have to actively develop and support XC5.
And for XC4 it is not only PHP. Almost everything 3rd party used in the cart code is 2-3 some even 6-7 years old. Smarty is outdated, jQuery is outdated, mailchimp, phpmailer, and other libraries...

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
thebluedoorboutique (08-17-2022)
Old 02-07-2023, 02:20 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinque
Today I learned with surprise that:

- X-Cart is now "subscription based"
- no more one-time fee licenses
- only Enterprise license available
- most addons freely available in the license

(I'm still waiting for pricing details).

If this is correct, this sounds like a big (and scary) news for me.

Like almost all of other users here, I create online stores for my clients, using X-Cart as e-commerce platform. I tried almost every e-commerce platform available and I always found X-Cart as the best in terms of price/features.

I have tried many types of e-commerce platforms and X-Cart has always been my favorite.

But this dramatic change could be the end for my services with X-Cart, I may have to change the platform I use for my work and this scares me a lot (because I know the alternatives).

The licensing costs were affordable and the performance was great. One-off costs and direct assistance services from Qualiteam for a fee, as needed. I couldn't ask for anything better. Something that is rarely found around.

Now I need to understand how to go forward and whether I will have to change dramatically my work and re-evaluate existing and popular platforms as an X-Cart replacement for new projects, or continue with Qualiteam.

I don't know at this point

- what costs shall be considered in using X-Cart as a platform to build stores?
- what will be the future of the mods and their developers?
- what will be the future of X-Cart4 one-time fee licenses, will be kept patched?

Tell me what you think.

I know... this news is like receiving a fraudulent chargeback from a mentally ill person on the day of dispatch of their ordered merchandise who expected it to be delivered on the day of dispatch... while you shipped it in a simple parcel... It's an impossible loss and if the 4.7 breaks down for me I will be moving somewhere else.
Old 07-09-2023, 02:36 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider
If you're selling between $5 and $5000 per month it is too much to pay $199/mo. because any month in this new and mad millenium can be no sales or low sales and you will end up spending your savings on nothing. Yet I am not advertising against X-cart. It just that there is a worldwide trend in all aspects of life and business, in order to destroy the very smallest business. Fedex/TNT is ripping people off with fantasy invoices sent weeks or months after the delivery date. EMS is opening up the shipments and confiscating legally allowed goods. Registered mail is being stolen left and right in formerly self-respectful and developed countries. Crime is skyrocketing. Banks now charge fees to keep your money. Absolute madness with USPS returning mail off the border and the ISC and the new rules to charge import duty even on 1c worth of goods. Etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on. If I was them I would have kept selling v.4.7.x to those who want to become owners rather than tenants.

There are still free carts available too as well such as osCommerce etc. but I am not trying to promote them here.

Yes they don't like small business so it's Amazon or nothing for everyone.
I'm hoping my V4 will last me a few more years
Old 07-09-2023, 05:06 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcompany
I wish they would make the decision to offer a "maintenance" or "update" plan for x-cart v4. I would gladly pay a (reasonable) monthly fee for access to updates so that we can at least get php v8 compatibility updates and things of that nature. At this point for v4, I feel like most people aren't necessarily looking for new features, but rather looking for a supported cart.

X-cart offers maintenance support at the following rates as of 2022:

- Standard Care - $750/quarter
- Premium Care - $1,125/quarter
- Standard technical support is $1,990/year.

X-cart previously quoted me an unaffordable v5 at $199/month but now they are already asking $395/mo.

I find those charges ridiculously high for all small merchants.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)