Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

"ARB" - Automatic rebelling question

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 11-28-2017, 07:18 PM

X-Wizard

Default "ARB" - Automatic rebelling question

Lately I am constantly being hit up with emails from X-Cart telling me some module or other could not be automatically re-billed and that automatic upgraded can no longer be downloaded. Yes, that's right , I don't want every single module in my cart to have an automatic yearly charge applied to it whether it needs upgrading or not, which is why I stopped the automatic billing at the PayPal side.

The question is - to use a module, does this yearly fee need to be paid?

Currently they ask me to pay the yearly upgrade fee for the "Product Questions" module even though this module is relatively simple and is working perfectly. Why would I want to pay a fee for future upgrades to this NOW? If it gets to the point where I need to pay to upgrade it, sure, then I will pay it AT THAT TIME. It's not going to be an automatic opening of my wallet whether it needs it or not, however.

This is a turn off, I hope someone is listenting.
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 12-02-2017, 06:54 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: "ARB" - Automatic rebelling question

No its not a subscription service so it will work fine with out paying anything. (it originally came with 1 year free upgrades but that must have ran out)
If you are having no problem with it I wouldn't pay to upgrade.
I would however suggest to check that update to make sure its not some security vulnerability been fixed, then you may want to consider upgrading it.

The following user thanks dr_killer_uk for this useful post:
kevinrm (12-02-2017)
Old 12-01-2021, 11:25 AM

Veteran

Default Re: "ARB" - Automatic rebelling question

That's the best place I found to post this although there could be other posts about XC modules subscription.

I know I complained to QT long time ago about their ordering system automatically activating annual subscription upon purchasing a module. Without purchaser having an option to accept or decline and without actually getting the purchaser to consent to this. Didn't know though it does the same when modules renewal is paid.

I was just hit with a subscription renewal charges for project done a year ago. The project included renewing modules subscriptions not new purchases. To make the matter worst the PP charge has absolutely no information who the client or the project was or any other info to identify the client so I have to take a wild guess to find out which project that was.
PP determine there was no fraud or unauthorized charge as there is nothing fraudulent about the charge itself of course. It's just that I never authorized XC or SL or anyone else for that matter to place an automatic subscription for this or any other XC related items. Apparently they did this behind the scene without any option for customer to accept or decline the subscription. This in my understanding is very sneaky unethical way of doing business.
And while going through this case I found 5-6 more active subscriptions for other XC modules in my PP account - haven't been charged for them as they are less than a year old. Hopefully they are all cancelled now.

XC or SL or both if you are still engaged in this forum in any way - fix your broken ordering system. If core/modules subscription is not mandatory for the software to work the person placing the order is the only one to accept or decline the subscription. You cannot go behind everyone's back and automatically enroll the customer.

I will open a ticket with XC about this and maybe I should send them an invoice to reimburse me for the charges instead of the site's owner.

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
Triple A Racing (12-01-2021)
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)