Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Static Page HTML (Img Width / Forms) Coding Issue

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 12-26-2015, 03:51 PM

Default Static Page HTML (Img Width / Forms) Coding Issue / Ability To Edit "Teaser" text

I have just recently a site to 5.2.6 and have noticed that static pages no longer support

width="300" or width="48%"

as part of img tags

any info on how to fix that as we use these settings for both mobile and desktop versions of the static pages without creating multiple images for these pages.

Also, forms are no longer able to be used on these static page as well.

The only fix I have found is that if I edit the actual database entry in xc_page_translations
part of MYSQL then it will work, but I'm sure there is a way easier (and more preferred method) to do so?

We sometimes have customer contests and submissions on these static pages - so we would definitely like a bit easier use of submitting our own forms and image data on these pages.

Also we are unable to edit the "Teaser" text as it just pulls from the first few lines of actual non coded text. This text is editable in the MYSQL database but not editable via the admin page and also usually does not update when the page is updated.

Any info on that would be appreciated too
Old 12-26-2015, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Static Page Img Width Coding

We have also tried using the TinyMCE module and that didn't work either.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:01 PM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Static Page HTML (Img Width / Forms) Coding Issue

I am very interested in any response to this as well; I would very much like the ability to create a custom form page for contests.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:22 PM

X-Cart team

You can use inline CSS to style parts of your static pages. There should be no problem with that.

To make X-Cart not strip <script> tags do the following

file: /classes/XLite/Module/CDev/SimpleCMS/View/Model/Page.php
Changed this piece of code
Code:
'body' => array( self::SCHEMA_CLASS => 'XLite\View\FormField\Textarea\Advanced', self::SCHEMA_LABEL => 'Content', self::SCHEMA_REQUIRED => true, \XLite\View\FormField\Textarea\Advanced::PARAM_STYLE => 'page-body-content', ),
as follows
Code:
'body' => array( self::SCHEMA_CLASS => 'XLite\View\FormField\Textarea\Advanced', self::SCHEMA_LABEL => 'Content', self::SCHEMA_REQUIRED => true, self::SCHEMA_TRUSTED => true, \XLite\View\FormField\Textarea\Advanced::PARAM_STYLE => 'page-body-content', ),
Of course, this should be implemented as a module in order to make the change independent on upgrades.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:49 PM

Advanced Member

So if the above is done, any standard PHP scripting can take place within the page?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:31 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderfungus
So if the above is done, any standard PHP scripting can take place within the page?
No, it only allows JS and CSS without any restrictions.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:47 PM

Also a simple way I found to get around the image area was to remove the CSS .img code of

.page-body-content css from:

/shopdir/skins/customer/modules/CDev/SimpleCMS/page/style.css

I just blanked all of that out, re-deplyed the store, and I was able to control the images again as they were put on separate lines and I could only control the sizes.

Will play with the method you list above for forms and the link as well - but I was just sharing my fix for the images.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:41 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by info@shadowgraphicsinc.co
remove the CSS .img code of
.page-body-content css from:
/shopdir/skins/customer/modules/CDev/SimpleCMS/page/style.css
I just blanked all of that out, re-deplyed the store

You should never edit existing files and should override them either via Theme Tweaker, or by creating a custom module.

---

User manual Video tutorials X-Cart FAQ

You are welcome to press "Thanks" button
if you find this post useful

Click here to learn how to apply patches

X-Cart Extensions
Old 10-27-2016, 01:46 PM

eXpert

Alex:

The problem is that while XCart coding and development is advancing to new levels, making simple "look and feel" or other edits is becoming more difficult and more confusing--especially when these common tasks seem ignored by the developers.

Once-simple edits like adding a security seal, live chat, or other script in the footer, header, or sidebar is similar in effort to planning a trek to Mars versus the simple code edits many of us are used to. What would take us five minutes now takes hours because we have to pretend that we're coders and research dozens of so-called "how-to" pages that make the process even more costly and confusing.

Using TinyMCE to create detailed product info is overridden by the store's template CSS, causing the output anything but what we expected. Scripts are ignored/blocked, CSS or other tweaks are erased everything time there is an update, and using the Custom CSS or Javascript feature does not always work.

The response of "must use a custom model", "pay for custom development", or attempts using the Theme Tweaker (which is not compatible with all aspects of the store pages/templates) is frustrating, and often feels like a "too bad, you're stuck with how it is" response. Many of us are more comfortable editing what we know. Unfortunately, those types of modification no longer work with XCart and leaves us at the mercy of Qualiteam.

I've asked a variety of third party developers and developers of software products that integrate with other ecommerce carts and systems to develop modules for XC5.x and they all say "no thanks". They cite issues with the code, compatibility, and frustrations that everything is linked, described to me that adding a simple module could create dozens of problems that should be unrelated to their modules. Why isn't it easier?

I'm still arguing with a host of problems in my 5.3.1.4 store that is preventing release, and most are related to simple look and feel issues. It really needs to be easier, without so many hoops to jump through...

Sam Solace - Pres/CEO
Century Performance Center, Inc.
http://www.centuryperformance.com

(3) sites using X-Cart 5.3.5.5
X-Payments Enterprise 3.1.4

The following 2 users thank CenturyPerf for this useful post:
info@shadowgraphicsinc.co (10-27-2016), PhilJ (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 02:14 PM

Veteran

If I have to be on the user side I would 100% agree with you. Especially for a non-technical person I wouldn't want to do all this.

But you have take into account what XC actually is. It is a downloadable shopping cart software putting all the control and power into your hands.

Think about the other choice - SaaS. Ready cart, tons of templates, maybe everything setup easily, more user friendly interface. But you have absolutely no control over the cart, how it works, hosting, changes per your liking, etc. Whatever is there that's it. You need changes - you have to ask the cart provider. You need better hosting - sorry no can do. You need to troubleshoot errors - you cannot. You go to the cart provider.... You totally depend on the SaaS and you are at their mercy.

With XC you can change hosting as you please. You can get any developer you can find to work on the cart. You can install whatever you want on it whether is XC approved or not. Custom changes too.

You can either choose the "simple and friendly" cart changes which SaaS solutions provide or you can choose to be in control of your store but have a little bit rough experience with it.

XC5 being downloadable was one of the main complaints we had when QT started it as SaaS only. This was and is one of the main factors keeping it what it is.
I like having full control over this. Not to mention SaaS solutions while they seem better and easier and may have lower startup cost require in most cases monthly payments in hundreds of dollars to keep them functioning. And they can raise prices as they please and you cant say much.
With XC even if price of cart or module goes up whatever you have has been paid for and free to use as is forever.

Just my 2 c.

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)