X-Guru

Default Re: XC SEO v1.1.0 Released

Quote:
Does works with X-CART 4.1.9?
Yes it does.

Does anyone know how I can append...
Code:
&show=all
...to the URL. I am trying to get this mod working.

I have tried using the method in this post, without any joy.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:22 AM

X-Wizard

Hey Phil, feel free to contact me if you haven't solved this yet, I'll help you get it working
Old 01-22-2008, 09:01 AM

Hi,

I'm brand new to this forum, and I'm looking for a good URL rewrite program. I've read quite a few posts about CDSEO, DSEFU, and just recently X-Cart-SEO. I'm leaning a bit more towards CDSEO, but thought that I would write down what it is that I need, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Also, is there anywhere I can look to see the features and benefits for X-Cart-SEO?

So, basically I have a store that carries approximately 3000 products. I need a way to rewrite all the URL's automatically based on either the page title or category/product name. In a nutshell, I want to have keyword-rich, hyphenated URL's, but I don't want to have to manually type in 3000 unique URL strings for each page. I don't plan on using the HTML catalog function that already comes with X-Cart. Ideally, I'd like to define a standard structure that I want to use for each string, then have a program auto-gen each URL, if possible. I also want the ability to change my page title structure so I can remove the "::" and replace with either a "|" or "-". Finally, if I can have the ability to modify the page titles and metadata for each product page, then that would be awesome!

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:40 AM

X-Wizard

Hi amadecs, no SEO mod does everything that you're listing, there are several items that are separate issues.

#1. XC SEO is good on performance, and is not encrypted, so you have full access to the source code (it's licensed as Open Source, GPL)
#2. XC SEO, DSEFU both dynamically rewrite urls on the fly. DSEFU is pretty much the same as XC SEO, except it costs money.
#3. CDSEO will convert your urls initially, but there's no automatic conversion after that initial conversion. Additionally, while the urls are totally customizable, you can't customize the url generation in an automated fashion without having to hire the author or another PHP developer.

If you want to be able to change URL structure and still have urls dynamically generated, I recommend XC SEO, as you can make the changes yourself (if you're savvy enough) or ask for help in the forums, or ask a PHP dev. XC SEO already allows you to inject your own custom word or phrase into urls. And since the code is open source, you can change the method for separating the words in the URL, via the PHP class (and also in the .htaccess file)

Regarding the page title structure, you can change that, but you should search the forums, as there are free solutions from other users on that matter.
For page titles & metadata, that will also require separate customization, and there are free (and cheap) solutions for that around the forums as well.

Some additional notes:
#1. CDSEO is probably the most powerful solution, in terms of manual control over each url, but is also the slowest.
#2. DSEFU and XC SEO rewrite pretty much all desired sections of X-Cart in their base package, CDSEO rewrites Categories and Products and requires the purchase of addons for sections such as Static Pages
#3. DSEFU's feature list is here: http://www.safetynetweb.com/Dynamic-Search-Engine-Friendly-URLs-pr-1.html << Since DSEFU and XC SEO are so similar, they have pretty much the same feature list

The reason for the similar feature list with DSEFU and XC SEO, is that when I came to X-Cart, I found the only SEO solution that I saw at the time was DSEFU. It wasn't free, and required many manual edits, and wasn't feature complete (imho). I released XC SEO as a free alternative with more features, solving the shortcomings of DSEFU. Since then, since DSEFU is a commercial product, they've made sure that they at least meet the feature list of XC SEO, if not surpassing in one area or another.

The points against DSEFU are:
#1. Encrypted source code
#2. Not free

The points against CDSEO are:
#1. Encrypted source code
#2. Not free
#3. Slowest solution available

The points against XC SEO are:
#1. There may be bugs that still linger in the code. I know there are bugs in the competition software, but since they are commercial packages, you get solutions to the bugs. If you use XC SEO and find a bug, you have to rely on another user or myself fixing the issue, and there's no guarantee on turnaround time

Good luck in your decision. If you have an unlimited budget, you can probably find what you need with CDSEO + additional customization from the author to make the module dynamic, same for DSEFU.

Cheers!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 AM

Jon,

You're awesome! Thanks so much.

Take care
Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 AM

Has anyone any ideas how i can stop the mod from removing the capital letters from titles
Title shows as .. My-Product
Title in database is .. My-Product

but after the XCSeo .. my-product

this really disrupts already indexed & ranked urls any ideas how i can stop it happening ?

cheers all
Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 AM

X-Wizard

sure, open:
modules/XC_SEO/outputfilter.seo.php

Search for strtolower, unwrap the function from the variable. i.e. -
Code:
strtolower($SOME_VARIABLE)

should change to:
Code:
$SOME_VARIABLE

There are 2 instances that you need to replace, that should take care of the issue for you.

Cheers
Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 AM

I've noticed with many of the sites using XC SEO that their URL's still have the category #, product ID, or a letter like "p" (page) or "c" (category). For example many of the URL's that I've seen look like this:

http://www.widgets.com/category/blue-widgets-c-365.html

I'm just wondering if it's possible to remove those extra characters from the URL. The main reason why I ask is that for SEO purposes, let's say that I wanted to obtain a deep link to one of the product pages of my site. Or if another site decided to link to one of my product pages. The more characters I have in the URL, the more probability I'm giving them to make a typo error when inputting the filepath. So for me, I think the URL...

http://www.widgets.com/category/blue-widgets.html

...would be ideal.

I haven't actually installed the mod yet Jon, so you may have already addressed this issue. I'm just going based on the sites that are currently using XC SEO.

Also, one other question if I may. My site isn't live yet, and it's sitting in the "xcart" directory. Would it be wise for me to install the mod after I've moved to the root directory, or will XC SEO dynamically update my URL's to their new filepath?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:29 PM

X-Wizard

XC SEO dynamically rewrites your urls, so you would be safe to move to the root directory.

Regarding the urls, XC SEO and DSEFU both include variables in the url in the pattern that you mentioned. Neither currently offer the ability to have a completely clean url.

While I do intend to release a completely custom url SEO module, the only solution at this time is to use CDSEO.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask

-Jon
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions