Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Troubles with BCS Engineering Advanced Filter Options

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 10-07-2011, 06:53 PM

eXpert

Default Troubles with BCS Engineering Advanced Filter Options

I just lodged the following support ticket with BCS Engineering, and I know it's the weekend, so I thought I'd see if anyone here has had a similar issue with the mod.

I installed it myself, but I'd one heaps of them before and it wasn't a hard one. Did I miss something in the install or are others having troubles?

Is there a more advanced filtering add-on to x-car than this? Ideally I'd like it to sort by price and when I have a filter of COLOUR, I can define the colour list and my staff choose it from a drop down box, not type it in by hand every time like they have to do with this one.

-----------------

I have a big problem with the Advanced Filter Options modification that I purchased recently. I successfully installed the software on my existing 4.1.11 store, went to MODULES > ADVANCED FILTER and set up a list of initial fields.

Brand | Volume | Lid Type | Diameter | Colour | Material | Insulation

I then had my staff set up the options for over 200 different products.
Once that was done, I moved on to the next group of products and attached some more fields to the list. I didn't touch any of the exisitng ones, I simply put the mouse at the END of the existing list and then added the new ones on.

The list now looks like this.

Brand | Volume | Lid Type | Diameter | Colour | Material | Insulation | Flavour | Product Type | Age Group

When going back to one of the 200 products we did initially, we noticed that the last field - INSULATION - was nowhere to be found. The first one, BRAND, was listed twice, and it had the original brand specs we put in along with the insulation specs in a second one.

This means that I now have to go and pay my staff to alter those 200 products again along with the 30+ that I did after I added the 'Flavour, Product Type and Age Group' to the list, because now I need to make the list longer.

This is a serious flaw in the software that is going to cause chaos. Is ther a bug fix so I don't have to go and alter all these products, and apart from putting a trailing | or a filter that we're never going to use at the end of the list, how do we get around this?

My store is a large one, and having to set these products more than once is going to cost me a lot of money.

My second problem is on the 4.4.3 install I have done, although I am about to trash that and install a fresh copy of 4.4.4

The initial problem as above is still present, but if I have a trailing | at the end of the list, I'm able to add new filters without destroying the entries for the last filter, but on 4.4.3, the filtering isn't working.

If you go to www.shopnaturally.com.au/443 (user & password will be given privately on request if you want to look - you can probably guess it if you want!), and go to the Popular Features category, I have set up 2 products, each with their own filter options. I've made it easy and put the filter options in the actual product names.

You'll see if you choose the blue colour filter, both the blue and the red products still show up. The filter just isn't working.

Is this a known bug? Is it fixed in 4.4.4? Is there a fix for the issue of the last item in the filter list being screwed up when you add another one?

We currently have 1,500 products in our store and we're doubling it in the next 6 months. This feature is absolutely vital to the store.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 PM

eXpert

Default Re: Troubles with BCS Engineering Advanced Filter Options

After having a look at the Clever Filter from CartOnSteriods and a couple of others, which is the most advanced around?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowdog

You'll see if you choose the blue colour filter, both the blue and the red products still show up. The filter just isn't working.

Is this a known bug? Is it fixed in 4.4.4? Is there a fix for the issue of the last item in the filter list being screwed up when you add another one?

This mod reacted the same way for me as well. I finally decided to scrap it because it was a waste of time trying to get it working right. I originally purchased it for my 4.3.1 store, and it was buggy then too, but they finally got it to work. Installed upgrade on 4.4.2 and and it does the same thing that you mentioned above. I'm looking at other alternatives to this one.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:53 PM

X-Guru

Just saw this post. I don't see where we've released any bug fixes recently. So drop us an email if you're having any bugs and we'll get them in our schedule to fix. I'm not aware of all the tickets there are out there so it may be in progress. Best to drop us a note to support.

Thanks,

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:36 AM

We are thinking about purchasing this mod for automotive site but seems like there are bugs

Has this issue been resolved?
Has anyone else had good/bad results with this mod?

I've looked at this one too : http://www.*********.com/store/x-cart-mods/navigation/power-filter/ but on their admin/demo site it seemed kind of clunky.

Or this mod http://mods.x-cart.com/Make-Model-Year-feature.html , has anyone tried this one?

Please share your experiences.

Thank you.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:23 PM

hi

it still feels quite buggy and now a bit behind the times which is a shame as its a great mod

several months ago maybe even a year ago now they added the menu version instead of form which was great

i think its missing the following with them it would be the best mod around as users seem to love filters

1. menu does not ajax filter it refresh only
2. you cant multi select ie i want to see products in blue and black only
3. menu don't work with smart search only form version

i am sure there are more but the world of filters is getting more advanced all the time and if they improved this most sites would have it and customers would be happy

a good version would be if you looked at

http://www.asos.com/Women/Coats-Jackets/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=2641#parentID=Rf-200&pge=0&pgeSize=20&sort=-1

little things like multi select it blacks out options you cant have once you start selection stuff

its not pretty but the core functions are good this is what bcse needs todo make the core functions better and fix a few bugs

The following user thanks 7thdesire for this useful post:
Powertrain (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 PM

That is unfortunate as we bought it couple of days ago since there are not many options out there and we need some kind of filter so users can find their products easier.

I have not installed yet as I'm adding bunch of products first before I make a database backup, than I'll test it.

I hope BCS fixes bugs and updates it soon , at $200 it is not that cheap mod.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 AM

X-Guru

Have you guys communicated any of this directly with us? I don't remember seeing any of these issues or comments come in.

We are always open to improving modules when we're able to fit them in.

Thanks,

Carrie

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Old 11-01-2011, 06:33 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertrain
That is unfortunate as we bought it couple of days ago since there are not many options out there and we need some kind of filter so users can find their products easier.

I have not installed yet as I'm adding bunch of products first before I make a database backup, than I'll test it.

I hope BCS fixes bugs and updates it soon , at $200 it is not that cheap mod.

I'm a little confused here on the price tag? Our module is $99.95.

Always email us your suggestions and we can either put it into the module if many people request it or we can do custom work if that seems more appropriate.

Thanks,

Carrie

Old 11-01-2011, 06:48 AM

i have told you of the issues with smart search and filter menu

all i got was that's a custom job

the other points i made is just showing the filter is now behind the times and i was hoping it would catch up feature wise

i am happy to pay for updated but not custom work when it says in your product details works with smart search it should say form version only
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4