Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Fashion Walk - NEW Responsive Template

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 09-21-2013, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Fashion Walk - NEW Responsive Template

is there any (brilliant) solution to use fashion walk in a site with near 100 categories, without using xmenus?
enterprise hosting on handsonwebhosting
IMAC with Sierra 10.12
=======
5.3.3.1 on test (maybe ready in 2031)
Old 09-21-2013, 01:13 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnc2
is there any (brilliant) solution to use fashion walk in a site with near 100 categories, without using xmenus?
I'm affraid that all solutions must exclude xmenus as xmenus will not work with fashion walk.
Dedicated SSL
Stone Edge OM
Old 09-21-2013, 01:19 AM

eXpert

This is something we are investigating, getting xmenus to work with Fashion Walk is not the problem for desktop and tablet versions - but because FW is responsive and xmenus is not, trying to get a complex xmenus system to "fit" into the space on a smartphone, that's the hard part.

Something we are looking into.

x-cart 3.x.x
x-cart 4.x.x
Old 09-21-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hayes
This is something we are investigating, getting xmenus to work with Fashion Walk is not the problem for desktop and tablet versions - but because FW is responsive and xmenus is not, trying to get a complex xmenus system to "fit" into the space on a smartphone, that's the hard part.

Something we are looking into.

currently smartphone 100% compatibility is not my main goal, fashion is great and menus too, i wish to use together with standard pc layout in mind.

besides, categories handling is almost absent form fashion walk, for what i understood from video,
IMAC with Sierra 10.12
=======
Old 09-21-2013, 04:53 AM

i'v just installed fashion walk, all seems ok, files, sql, licensed, cleanup.php, module on, key activated, but:
mysite/admin/txs_fw.php?section=general is a blank page.

any idea?
IMAC with Sierra 10.12
=======
Old 09-21-2013, 09:20 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hayes
but because FW is responsive and xmenus is not, trying to get a complex xmenus system to "fit" into the space on a smartphone, that's the hard part.
I think you need a javascript "switch" that completely changes the menu. When width = 350px hide the regular xmenu and change it out for a drop down select box with hierarchy for different sections. That's what I would do at least, I'm sure you have considered it.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:48 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaltec
I think you need a javascript "switch" that completely changes the menu. When width = 350px hide the regular xmenu and change it out for a drop down select box with hierarchy for different sections. That's what I would do at least, I'm sure you have considered it.

And Mike, I know you are an advocate for Responsive design, but for some types of design and desired interface, a "different but equally functional" design or interface for smartphone is not such a bad idea...

What you are suggesting is exactly why I did not go "responsive" for my current store-- but instead I am using TXS xTreme AND xMobile (for smartphones only). However, my integrated wordpress blog is a responsive theme, and honestly, it's ok -- but the choices the theme designer has to make to squeeze the menus into the smartphone is essentially a different theme, with some common elements. It's basically 2-1/2 designs and 2 entirely different menu systems. But share common colors and design concepts.

If you are going to invent a different menu technology for smartphones, what else are you going to reinvent for the small screen? By this point, you are designing 2 templates with common thematic elements.

I say there is nothing wrong with a dedicated (or add-on) mobile (smartphone) theme/template/interface and x-cart makes it so easy to have that.

Hey Will -- here's a business opportunity for ya... optimize Fashion Walk for smartphones with mobile-friendly menu-ing and interface, and sell it as an add-on. Steal (use) some xMobile concepts, or use what you learned from xMobile and make another product. But for thematic consistency, make it an add-on for Fashion Walk. Or is the point of responsive is there is only one template for all screen sizes? If that's the argument, then a different menu technology must be used for smart phones, right?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:02 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
Or is the point of responsive is there is only one template for all screen sizes? If that's the argument, then a different menu technology must be used for smart phones, right?
Jeremy,
The major point of responsive is not just phones and tablets. Its 1366x768 vs 1024x768 vs 1440x900 vs 1920x1080 -these four resolutions comprise about 60% of the global internet usage today. The other 40% is about half smart phones/tablets and half irregular sizes, super small and insanely large. Responsive allows you to deliver an optimal experience at any size.

To me, responsive also means "responsive" as in responding quickly and nimbly, not just adapting to the window. And it means that touch should be considered as well as click and hover, swipe gestures on slideshows, etc.

And yes, you need to provide a different navigation system for phones. I can't see that as a problem, it's a feature. Well designed responsive sites can adapt different elements to provide the right experience.

I do advocate responsive design. IF you are designing a site in 2014, and you do not consider responsive then you are missing the boat. I don't think that you need to choose responsive or mobile, there is absolutely no reason that you cannot do both and allow your user to choose their adventure.

-Sorry for the thread hijack, Will.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:04 AM

Hi
I installed recently this template, works great.
I am looking for how to change the default number of categories in a row of the featured items page.
Any help will be appreciated
Thank you in advance
Max
Old 08-11-2014, 06:23 PM

eXpert

Oh boy, I just purchased this mod without noticing this thread is dead.
Will is not answering tickets.
I did notice that there are 2 different menu navigations pending on screen size.
May be they are working on a way around the menu restriction mentioned above?
I noticed the responsive layout keeps changing even though there is no change in screen size during browsing session.
I was not able to install this while xgear was active.
Anyone else having success with FW in the last year?

Mods I miss in 5.4.x:
xCMS, Create-A-Sale, On-Sale AC, Kit Builder AC, Manufacturer-A-Z BCSE, Product-Bundle BCSE, Pre-Order BCSE, Customer Quotes BCSE
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4