Upselling in the shopping cart

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: Upselling in the shopping cart

Quote:
But the state of mind is the same (?)

not exactly.

1. customer adds product A. add to cart. now, ez-upsell will present 3-5 suggested upsell items for product A.
2. customer decides to add product B (from ez-up)
3. now, ez-up shows upsell items for product B.
4. etc

The SPECIFICITY of the upsell is as important as when you pitch the upsell... if customer has 3 items in the cart, how can you fine tune 3-5 items for them?

We frequently sell 3-5 items to customers (90% of our transactions are more than one item). If we tried to upsell IN the cart, we'd lose the ability to pinpoint the best upsell items.

It is our opinion, that when the customer adds peanut butter to the cart, the immediate response from the cart should be, "would you like jelly or bread with your peanut butter?" Now, let's say the customer also has some produce and ice cream and dry goods... how can you upsell them in the cart? It will be less specific and not nearly as targeted.

Speaking of upsell, FreshDirect.com does exactly this... if you add an item, you get 2-4 complementary items in the "you have added X" success page. -- "May we suggest the following: Y, Z, W, etc.."

This is how MANY stores target the upsell. It depends on your products, I guess... what do you sell?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:18 AM

Advanced Member

in this store (there is another completely diferent one not too far in the future), nutritional supplements.
Hmm... what I thought to do was for all the upsells for the products in the cart to appear (with those already in the cart to be ommitted) - so if someone buys products A and B, with X and Y being upsells for A, and A and Z upsells for B, then if both A and B are in the cart, the customer will be offerred X, Y and Z.

What you say does make me think. Most customers who come to my store though are interested in one specific solution, so the typical case will be that they will add the item, and either take the upsells offered or not, and run. My thinking is they will probably not add an upsell and then yet another, and so what is offered in the cart will be any way pinpointed, since they will just have one item usually. But I may be wrong.
Smart Search
PHP 5.2.5
FreeBSD
Old 07-11-2008, 04:17 PM

carpeperdiem

I would love to have a copy of you templates for doing what you have describes as your ezupsell process.

I currently use ezupsell - out of the box with 4.1.7.

I have tried adding short description / buy now but passing the products_links through the products.tpl but it seems like my product links is not calling some of that information.

many thanks
Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 AM

X-Adept

I just added upselling to my 4.4.5 Gold X-cart -- and using fast lane checkout.

I'm looking at both ezUpsell and ezRecommends to allow upselling while in the fast lane checkout screen -- Is there a preference of one over the other? I can't tell if ezUpsell works with Fast Lane Checkout. Both products have WebSiteCM as the manufacturer.

The ezUpsell - http://www.bcsengineering.com/store/x-cart-ezupsell.html click on screen shots has a blank page, so hard to see what the display differences are.

If anyone has suggestions on which to use for Fast Lane Checkout and have related products appear while in the Fast Lane Checkout screen, I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks in advance.

Peggy
Old 06-06-2012, 04:42 AM

X-Guru

Peggy,

We prefer ezUpsell. It can be used with One Page Checkout or Fast Lane. I'm not sure what happened to the screen shot. I fixed it. It's better to see it in action. Just add the product to your cart to see what it does. It provides a clear way to see what is added to the cart and shows other products the customer may want. We have an older version installed and the newer one provides a button to see details/purchase.

Thanks,

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4