Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Smart Search from alteredCart :: Spell Checking, Did You Mean? and More.

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 10-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

X-Adept

Default Re: Smart Search from alteredCart :: Spell Checking, Did You Mean? and More.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwest
Any update on testing and the ETA for that add-on?

It has been finished for a few weeks, I just haven't had a chance to get it up on the site. Hopefully this weekend. I will post here when it is up.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:30 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: Smart Search from alteredCart :: Spell Checking, Did You Mean? and More.

Looks interesting however, it's a shame we'll never use it. X-Cart's vanilla search engine nearly died dealing with our product/category load we ended up moving to Google CSE Business Edition.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Is the static page search add-on available now?

Does it/will it allow certain pages to be excluded from indexing?

Thanks,
Dan
OS = Linux
Old 10-29-2007, 02:35 PM

eXpert

Hi Bill,

Sounds like at least a couple of us are anxiously awaiting the add-on... any chance that installer will find its way onto your site soon?

Thanks,
Isaac
Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brault
Looks interesting however, it's a shame we'll never use it. X-Cart's vanilla search engine nearly died dealing with our product/category load we ended up moving to Google CSE Business Edition.

Always with an eye open for other search solutions I took a look at the CSE Business Edition engine that your using on your site, a first one for me, for example, your product here

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/1826148

I ran a search query for "rail construction" (without quotes), I had 4 search results but none related to specific product "8Ft 3S-Design Flat Column 3S100 by Ll Building Products" which the description had these two words -just not together.

Then I tried a couple of typos "rai construction," and also "ornamental Iron" didn't return results either, simple typos can cost a sales.

Btw, I'm not promoting Smart Search, there is an excellent free search mod in the forum, besides you mentioned you had server load issues, just that I was curious to see Google's search solution and how it worked with x-cart and just posting my observations.

Is this Google's best solution for small business sites?

Sorry didn't mean to go off topic.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcg
I ran a search query for "rail construction" (without quotes), I had 4 search results but none related to specific product "8Ft 3S-Design Flat Column 3S100 by Ll Building Products" which the description had these two words -just not together.

Then I tried a couple of typos "rai construction," and also "ornamental Iron" didn't return results either, simple typos can cost a sales.

Btw, I'm not promoting Smart Search, there is an excellent free search mod in the forum, besides you mentioned you had server load issues, just that I was curious to see Google's search solution and how it worked with x-cart and just posting my observations.

Sorry didn't mean to go off topic.

Just a FYI. The Smart Search is based on an entirely different search technology than the X-Cart search. The Smart Search would:

1. Automatically suggest the correct spelling.

2. Use a language based search that would rank results based on word density, and would not require the user to enter the exact phrase, or exact order of the words. And would also automatically assign a words 'weight' by its field placement. (If the word 'rail' was found in the title it would rank above a product where the word 'rail' was in the description.

3. Significantly reduce the load on a server while searching. The Smart Search is being used on sites with 80,000+ products and searches usually take less than a second. (Of course, this requires a server that is capable of handling 80,000 products to begin with).

And yes, a discussion of the Google based searches probably should be a new topic.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:44 PM

X-Adept

Hi Bill,

On these "Smart Search" and "Buy Together" modules, any revisions needed for the new X-cart 4.1.9 release? I assume that are the same as the previous 4.1.8 release but thought I should ask.

Thanks
-Tuan
Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 AM

X-Adept

Hi Bill is the new demo available soon? Im having to move ahead with a new site without this feature for now so Im not in any hurry anymore. Im still keen to see the new demo in the next couple of months for the new site however, plus the add-on for additional fields which you know Im very keen to exploit.

thanks
Numerous, ney, hundreds of modifications by ARS.
AlteredCart: Download Expander, One Page Checkout,
BCS Engineering: Great team, Top service.
WebsiteCM: good products & very professional
CDSEO, Hidden Categories, Custom Work
Magnetic One Store Manager: Brill
Forms To Go: Excellent+A+support
Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 AM

I'm very interested in this mod, but I'm using Product MetaTags Plus and plan on also using CDSEO, both of which use Extra Fields.

I've read this entire thread and see the developer planned on enabling this mod to search Extra Fields making said mod available "Hopefully this weekend". That was a month ago (October 19).

A couple of questions:

1. Can 'Product MetaTags Plus', 'CDSEO', and 'Smart Search' play together?

2. Does 'search extra fields' once and for all work in Smart Search?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:05 PM

X-Adept

I have had correspondance from Bill who said that the extra fields would be an add on to the Search Mod, so, an additional cost and install I would assume from this.
Numerous, ney, hundreds of modifications by ARS.
AlteredCart: Download Expander, One Page Checkout,
BCS Engineering: Great team, Top service.
WebsiteCM: good products & very professional
CDSEO, Hidden Categories, Custom Work
Magnetic One Store Manager: Brill
Forms To Go: Excellent+A+support
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4