Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Smart Search from alteredCart :: Spell Checking, Did You Mean? and More.

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 09-19-2008, 01:04 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: Smart Search from alteredCart :: Spell Checking, Did You Mean? and More.

HI Starwest. Bill confirmed the above to me. Yes it is simply the ability to search news, static pages and extra fields. For me its the extra fields I have been waiting for. this way I can help customers get more accurate searches if the extra fields provide more detailed ways to describe a product.

Thanks once again.
Numerous, ney, hundreds of modifications by ARS.
AlteredCart: Download Expander, One Page Checkout,
BCS Engineering: Great team, Top service.
WebsiteCM: good products & very professional
CDSEO, Hidden Categories, Custom Work
Magnetic One Store Manager: Brill
Forms To Go: Excellent+A+support
Old 10-28-2008, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Smart Search from alteredCart :: Spell Checking, Did You Mean? and More.

Why on my site when searching for "Shirts" it only comes up with 1 t-shirt - it should be showing all the shirts available!?

http://www.stand-out.net

X-Cart 4.0.16
Old 10-29-2008, 07:41 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by maildodge
Why on my site when searching for "Shirts" it only comes up with 1 t-shirt - it should be showing all the shirts available!?

http://www.stand-out.net

That's because it's the only product with the term "shirts" in the description. If you want it to search for plural and singular on all terms (ie: shirt when the user searches 'shirts') then you need to enable the following setting:

"Include singular and plural forms of each word in the search query."

Hope that helps!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:54 AM

Thanks for replying, I do have that ticked already.

It also only returns the 1 product if searching for "shirt"!?

X-Cart 4.0.16
Old 10-29-2008, 08:10 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by maildodge
Thanks for replying, I do have that ticked already.

It also only returns the 1 product if searching for "shirt"!?

Ouch - didn't notice that. If you haven't already tried to re-build the search database, I'd give that a shot. If you have, the only other thing I can think of is that maybe 'shirt' has been detected as a noise-word on your website because it's present in so many product descriptions/titles.

From the manual:

Quote:
Every word that matches your search query in your product titles, descriptions, and keywords (only in X-Cart 4.1.x) is
weighted according to its significance. Consequently, a search word that is present in many product descriptions or titles has
a lower weight (and may even have a zero weight).

AND

Quote:
To enhance the standard search results, any word found in your product descriptions or titles 50% of the time falls into the
50% threshold. These words are then treated as noise-words and excluded from the search query. This threshold greatly
improves the relevancy of the search.

I'm guessing that's where the term is getting tripped up. I'm not sure if there is any way to disable that function, but you could check the 'modules/Smart_Search/smart_search_config.php' files to see if 'shirt' is listed in the 'Special Stop Word List'. I'm not sure if it discounts the word when building the database or adds it there, so give it a look. Other than that, you'll probably need to contact Bill directly to see how you can avoid 'shirt' being discounted to zero relevancy in searches.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:24 AM

Hi Bill,
Congratulations for the mod. I've been playing with the demo and it seems a huge improvement!! (specially compared to the basic x-cart search engine that we have so far)

Just one question: Is the mod able to sphider the content of static pages?
It would be great to get results not only from the catalog, but also from pages...

Thanks
Special Offers
Old 11-05-2008, 08:42 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by noms
Hi Bill,
Congratulations for the mod. I've been playing with the demo and it seems a huge improvement!! (specially compared to the basic x-cart search engine that we have so far)

Just one question: Is the mod able to sphider the content of static pages?
It would be great to get results not only from the catalog, but also from pages...

Thanks

Yes - there is an add-on on his site for Smart Search that will allow it to search static pages as well. I've got the add-on for my site and it seems to work well (although I don't currently have it enabled).
Old 11-05-2008, 09:29 AM

Yes, it's true, I've just seen it now as an option. Thanks!
A pitty that the add-on doesn't seem to be installed on the demo site.. not even explained on the manual. I'll try it ...
Special Offers
Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by noms
Yes, it's true, I've just seen it now as an option. Thanks!
A pitty that the add-on doesn't seem to be installed on the demo site.. not even explained on the manual. I'll try it ...

True. I think it is installed and running on WebsiteCM.com though - at least it was at one point. You can give that a shot if you want to try it out first.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:12 AM

Great Mod!
Anyone know where to comment out the phrase "This search took xxxx seconds"?

Thanks
Product Meta Tags Plus
Category Meta Title Control
Latest Additions (BCSE)
Remember Me login
FireTank's Feed Manager
Lightbox (BCSE)
EWD Hosting
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4