Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

How can I add "Other" Social button to V5.1.10

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 02-08-2015, 12:52 AM

Advanced Member

Default How can I add "Other" Social button to V5.1.10

Greetings all,

I am using v5.1.10 business along with the banners add module and #28 igoods template. My problem is with displaying more social button in the footer. I want to add more social buttons like Tumbler, Youtube, Pinterest as well as Facebook and a few others in time.

How can I do this. The igoods template is nice but has no info on how to do this. It really just works with v5 but not like the new style of template. Once it has been installed you no longer can choose any other templates. But thats another story. May just ask for my money back on that purchase, but for now I thought I would see if there is a way to fix this or at least get it working in the next update.

ANyone have any ideas on how to add social buttons to x-cart Business v5.1.10?

Anyone?

Cheers,

SGS

For X-cart v5.2.0
1 Business v5.2.6 license <Getting Better>!
1 Banner Mod 5.2.7 license
1 #28 iGoods Template

For X-cart v4.7.0

1 GoldPlus v4 license unused

3 Gold v4 license Unused

A wise man once said it is best to fix the cart instead of trying to use a broken cart. The horse has a very hard time pushing a broken cart!!
Old 02-22-2015, 07:08 PM

Advanced Member

Default Re: How can I add "Other" Social button to V5.1.10

No one else needs other social button displayed in the "Footer" of x-cart v5.1.10 besides FaceBook, Pinterest and Twitter? No one, anyone? No one else using Tumblr, vemo or Youtube to name a few others? I would like to use them, anyone know how to fix it so I can display them in the footer? Anyone?

Cheers

For X-cart v5.2.0
1 #28 iGoods Template

For X-cart v4.7.0

3 Gold v4 license Unused

A wise man once said it is best to fix the cart instead of trying to use a broken cart. The horse has a very hard time pushing a broken cart!!
Old 02-23-2015, 04:41 AM

X-Guru

You could decorate the social module that you are using and add additional fields to the admin to control these extra buttons. I think that we might need a social module that allows any number of social connections, with the ability to add and delete them.

Creating your own social module or modifying the existing one would be hard. I would suggest simply adding a template via the custom skin module, or your own custom module, and using that to add the social buttons.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:45 PM

Advanced Member

Hi Mike,

First, Thank you for the great videos. Your videos really help me understand X-cart 5 just a little better. I highly recommend anyone who uses X-cart especially v5 to watch your videos.

Can you create a video on how to do all that you mentioned. I can follow along well and I think others would enjoy it too.

I ask this because one reason I moved from the 4.x branch to 5 is that version 5 was touted as being more complete. Sadly I am finding this to be not so true. I purchased the #28 igoods template for v5 and it is nice but it really did not port over from v4 to v5 very well. Now that I have it installed, was done using the Auto install through the control console in the Admin section, "LOVE IT!" well done QT. It is now the only template I can select. I would have thought I could reselect any template currently installed from the admin console just like the 3 templates given with the business edition. So once again it is not like it should be right out of the box.

The main reason I selected the #28 igoods template was for the "Footer" and that fact that I am trying hard to not have to modify the template. I learned my lesson well with the 4.x.x branch. I want the site to auto update as much as possible with out me having to recode with each update. In fact I am not sure I even can code anything anymore. Which is fine with me really.

Is that really possible? I can no longer afford the time or money to have to fix simple things that to me should work right out of the box. And this is one of those thing I think.

In this case, with the business edition, I think it should be standard to offer more than just 3 social buttons. At least offer the top 10, allow people to turn them off if not needed or delete or better yet, replace with what they want. A business edition should have this option at the very least. The basic v5 that is free, oh yes, 3-4 social buttons is enough for a free edition.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope you see my situation concerning x-cart v5. To sum it up. I need to spend more time creating products to sell at my site than I do spending time modifying it and trying to get it to work so I can try to sell my goods.

Your help here is greatly appreciated , really!

Thank you,

SGS

For X-cart v5.2.0
1 #28 iGoods Template

For X-cart v4.7.0

3 Gold v4 license Unused

The following user thanks SGS for this useful post:
totaltec (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 05:40 PM

X-Guru

SGS, thanks for your kind words. Yes, I will endeavor to produce a tutorial on this subject in the next few days. If you don;t see it soon, feel free to bump this thread and give me a reminder.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)