Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Too much white space around product images.

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 08-25-2014, 09:15 AM

Advanced Member

Default Too much white space around product images.

Under Featured Products, there seems to be a lot of white space. I want my images to fill more of that space. We uploaded large images for retina displays, but X-Cart seems to compress them to certain size, which we find too small.

http://tarheelants.net/
Old 08-25-2014, 12:20 PM

X-Guru

Default Re: Too much white space around product images.

Just adding some info that might help:
Looks like the icon sizes are defined in classes/XLite/View/ItemsList/Product/Customer/ACustomer.php

in the function:
Code:
public static function getIconSizes() { return array( static::WIDGET_TYPE_SIDEBAR . '.' . static::DISPLAY_MODE_STHUMB => array(160, 160), static::WIDGET_TYPE_SIDEBAR . '.' . static::DISPLAY_MODE_BTHUMB => array(160, 160), static::WIDGET_TYPE_CENTER . '.' . static::DISPLAY_MODE_GRID => array(160, 160), static::WIDGET_TYPE_CENTER . '.' . static::DISPLAY_MODE_LIST => array(160, 160), 'other' => array(110, 110), ); }

I would try decorating this class, and defining my own sizes.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM

Advanced Member

I actually changed the width in the class and it worked, but the images are all blurry because when you upload through the backend it actually compresses them to 160 x 160.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:39 PM

X-Guru

Okay here is what I did.

I used the custom skin module, (for the second time today!) and I created a new file:
XLite\Module\XC\CustomSkin\View\Items_List\Product \Customer\ACustomer.php

with the following content:

Code:
namespace XLite\Module\XC\CustomSkin\View\Items_List\Product\Customer; /** * ACustomer */ abstract class ACustomer extends \XLite\Module\CDev\Sale\View\ItemsList implements \XLite\Base\IDecorator { /** * Get icon sizes * * @return array */ public static function getIconSizes() { return array( static::WIDGET_TYPE_SIDEBAR . '.' . static::DISPLAY_MODE_STHUMB => array(200, 200), static::WIDGET_TYPE_SIDEBAR . '.' . static::DISPLAY_MODE_BTHUMB => array(200, 200), static::WIDGET_TYPE_CENTER . '.' . static::DISPLAY_MODE_GRID => array(200, 200), static::WIDGET_TYPE_CENTER . '.' . static::DISPLAY_MODE_LIST => array(200, 200), 'other' => array(110, 110), ); } }

This set the icon sizes to 200. Amazingly, XC was smart enough to automatically generate icon thumbs at the correct size of 200 x 200, referenc them correctly, and place them in the var/images folder. Thanks Devs!
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru

The following user thanks totaltec for this useful post:
Ksenia (08-27-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 12:41 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmackie
I actually changed the width in the class and it worked, but the images are all blurry because when you upload through the backend it actually compresses them to 160 x 160.
Using my solution above they should not be blurry. I believe XC has retained your original images, and it will create proper sized thumbnails on the fly depending on the application and need.

XcartGuru

The following user thanks totaltec for this useful post:
tony_sologubov (09-03-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 12:55 PM

Advanced Member

Ok, I did what you did and changed those values to 200.

I did it directly to the file. Do I need to create a new file for that to work?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:28 PM

X-Guru

I see your new changes are in effect on your site. They look like they are set to 240.

With X-cart 5 you should never directly edit a file, or it will break future upgrades of the site. None of the default files should ever be changed, or your changes will be overwritten when you upgrade. Rather, you make all the changes in your custom created module, or in the provided module called Custom skin. The custom skin module is what I used above.

I just made a video about using the custom skin that might help you to better understand how it is used: http://youtu.be/LxpUCoYU_nU

XcartGuru

The following 4 users thank totaltec for this useful post:
Ksenia (08-27-2014), qualiteam (08-31-2014), tartaglia (08-27-2014), tony_sologubov (09-03-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 04:33 AM

Advanced Member

Like a child theme for wordpress. Got it. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:59 PM

eXpert

Mike is the module you made to do this available so one could simply install this module and enter the size of images they want for the categories thumbnails and add-to-cart popup? I find it silly that the Admin only contains places for us to define the product image and am not well versed in creating modules (and also have limited time right now to learn it)
Old 09-30-2014, 08:31 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesVacuum
Mike is the module you made to do this available so one could simply install this module and enter the size of images they want for the categories thumbnails and add-to-cart popup? I find it silly that the Admin only contains places for us to define the product image and am not well versed in creating modules (and also have limited time right now to learn it)

I think the best thing would be to create 1 custom module for your site, then we could put all the little changes like this into it. This change is so small, in my opinion it's not worth creating a module just for this. I think we will see these options show up in future X-cart 5 releases.

XcartGuru

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)