Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Why should I use X-Payments?

X-Cart forums > X-Payments > X-Payments issues & questions

Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 PM

X-Guru

Default Why should I use X-Payments?

Where do I begin?

I thought x-payments was the best way to process credit cards and remain PCI compliant.
That's all fine -- but if the customer experience stinks, I'm better off using a different payment method.

1. Payment is "processed" before successful payment

WHAT THE F is that about? How many times have YOU made it to payment page, but then decide to wait until tomorrow, or wait until your spouse give you her card (if you're lucky), or decide to add something to your order while you are on the payment page, or dozens of justifiable reasons a customer will want to go back to the cart...

And each time the customer goes back to the cart, an order is "processed". Emails are sent to customer and store admin.

Bad.

"Processed" can't occur until submitted to the merchant bank.
This alone is justification to bail.

2. Cancel Order (from payment page)
Quote:
Order processing error
Order declined.
Review your data or contact the store administrator
Are you kidding me? "Order Declined" ??? Ah... the fine print 3 lines down: "Reason: Cancelled by customer" -- that's not "Order Declined".

I can't believe anyone is using X-payments stock out of the box and keeping their customers.

I have the options of using a gateway provided form (highly customizable) in lieu of x-payments -- ah same thing. Processed before payment. What The F?

Has x-cart lost its mind?

This is NOT how customers shop online.
I have not updated my cart since 4.1.9 -- yes, I also have a 4.4.4 store that only accepts paypal -- so this is news to me.

WHAT'S THE lesser of the evils?

1. X-payments. It works. It looks good. Flaws (mentioned);
2. CC processor provided form. Same issues as #1, but not as pretty.
3. Don't accept credit cards?
4. A different cart?

Geez. After working my ass off making my store look amazing, final touch was fine tuning the checkout -- and I am most disappointed.

Is there ANY WAY in x-cart 4.5.x to not "process" the order until payment method is submitted?
How are YOU working around this defect in the user experince?

PS -- I tested with stock FLC and OPC (ajax) checkout as well as the far superior, Altered Cart Checkout One. Checkout One is a much better checkout - but it is still 2-page checkout. Really?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 PM

X-Adept

Default Re: Why should I use X-Payments?

The checkout process can be a bit odd.

What I have done is disable the emails related to not finished.

When an order has successfully had payment submitted, the order is set as processed and an email is sent to the staff and the customer.

The order then remains as processed until it ships. At which point, it is marked as complete and an email is sent with the tracking information.

At this point, we are only using Paypal standard, which means that we accept payments from paypal accounts and from debit/credit cards (using Paypal).

We are anticipating switching to Paypal advanced as soon as all of the issues have been worked out with it on the x-cart side.

Hopefully that helps .

4.5.2 Gold (work in progress)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 PM

Veteran

Unfortunatelly XC has always worked that way - order is created and entered in db before payment is submitted, processed and result returned back to XC.

The same scenario as above will happen if you use PP Standard - the second you are redirected to PP page order is created in XC and if you bail out from that page without completing your payment for any reason that order stays in XC...

XC works the same way if you use payment gateway hosted page or iframe page....

The only way to avoid this is rewrite the whole order placement process and use transactions but MySQL ISAM storage engine which XC uses does not support transaction; InnoDB on the other hand does support transactions, it also has other advantages but that means rewrite the way XC works... Do you see this happening.. I don't...
Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Unfortunatelly XC has always worked that way - order is created and entered in db before payment is submitted, processed and result returned back to XC.

Yes, but...
When credit card info was on the checkout page, to the user there was only one submit, and the "processed" status was a natural part of the order...

1. customer enters credit card
2. submit
3. processed

even if the card was denied or there was a typo, the way it FELT to the customer was "I am now submitting my order".

Xcart has a history of misreading or misunderstanding rules and regs from payment processors... I haven't started my PayPal rant...

This payment user experience is really a downer. Am I regretting spending a month building my upgraded store? I will only be able to know after we go live and comapre conversions. But right now, with only paypal, my conversion rate suck. I have more than 50% abandoned carts. When I had the non-PCI compliant "just type your credit card in and press submit" on 4.1.9, abandoned carts were more like 5%. We are scaring our customers away.

Instead of complaining, I have a proposed solution (what I thought x-payments was going to do):

1. Checkout page. Using AJAX, if the customer selects "credit card" (or whatever payment method using x-payments), the x-payments form will load into an iframe on the checkout page.
2. Customer fills out payment info.
3. Customer clicks SUBMIT.
4. X-cart "processes" the order, and payment is submitted.

I really think x-cart misinterpreted the PCI regs and went way too far. Customers want a ONE PAGE CHECKOUT. The X-cart branded "OPC w/ ajax" is minimum 3 steps. Altered Cart's Checkout one eliminates a step, but it still is a 2-step now. Am I the only one furious about what has happened to the checkout process? Maybe that explains the absence of some forum regulars?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 AM

X-Man

Ambal from QT is the right person answering you about X-Payments. I am pretty sure he will offer explanations here soon.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com
Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 AM

X-Cart team

Sorry, folks, about such trouble, but it is more related to X-Cart architecture rather than to X-Payments. Anyway, this feedback is noted and we hope to have something done about it in our next X-Cart versions.
X-Payments product manager
Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 AM

X-Guru

Hi Alex,
Thanks for joining this discussion.
I think X-payments was the "security blanket" for me and was the reason for moving forward with xcart -- by using x-payments, xcart will be PCI compliant, etc...

I had no idea that x-cart changed the flow for the customer.
I remember reading something when x-payments was first announced that the experience for the customer would be seamless (vs. entering cc on page in vers 4.2- obviously not PCI compliant). I remember reading that x-payments would be the SOLUTION and allow xcart to remain non-PCI, but the payment application would be, and it would be integrated into xacrt so that the customer never knows. THIS is what I thought I was getting myself into.

Why didn't anyone jump and scream and swear and make a stink about this when you first rolled this out? Or did I miss the fun, and the loudest just moved on to other cart solutions?

I'm not suggesting this is easy to implement, but why not "simply" bring the x-payments page into the checkout page as an iframe, loaded automatically by selecting the credit card payment method (and if you have credit card payment method selected by default, then bingo -- customer enters credit card. Clicks submit. X-cart processes order then immediately after sends payment to gateway. DONE. User experience maintained. PCI compliance maintained. WHY didn't X-cart do this from the start?

X-Payments is a great idea -- but I had the expectation of a true integration with X-cart. ADDING a step to checkout is not building a better mousetrap, is it? The premium for X-payments should be to make checkout better and safer. DO this, and x-payments will instantly have increased value. Without, it's hard to justify x-payments vs. a gateway provided form. And then why even bother wit x-payments?

Thanks for listening.

Jeremy
Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 AM

X-Cart team

> but why not "simply" bring the x-payments page into the checkout page as an
> iframe, loaded automatically by selecting the credit card payment method (and if
> you have credit card payment method selected by default, then bingo -- customer
> enters credit card. Clicks submit. X-cart processes order then immediately after
> sends payment to gateway. DONE. User experience maintained. PCI compliance maintained.

Well, X-Payments v1.0.5 can do that.
http://www.youtube.com/v/sGjdOdVVnnM

Perhaps I missed something in your question?

The following user thanks ambal for this useful post:
carpeperdiem (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 08:18 AM

X-Cart team

Btw, X-Payments v1.0.5 online demo http://www.x-cart.com/x-payments-demo.html
Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambal
Well, X-Payments v1.0.5 can do that.
http://www.youtube.com/v/sGjdOdVVnnM

Perhaps I missed something in your question?

Alex,
Perhaps I missed something in the X-payments documentation?

Honestly, there is ZERO mention of "use lite interface" and discussion of seamless integration into xcart anywhere in the user manual or installation guide. Is there another document that I should have used to discover this feature? I assumed "used lite interface" meant a smaller page. Since there is zero discussion about this in the docs, how was I supposed to know this feature was added?

This is a VERY significant addition to x-payments -- and other xcart experts have no idea this is there too!

This is a game changer.

Thank you for pointing this new feature out. I will edit my original rant to mention 1.0.5 has this new feature.

Best,
J
   X-Cart forums > X-Payments > X-Payments issues & questions