Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

blog for xcart vs xCMS?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 02-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Advanced Member

Default Re: blog for xcart vs xCMS?

Thanks Jon, just wanted to check how easy it was to add images and embedded videos etc into the blog - and im very impressed as it was VERRRRY easy so its def on my purchase list....

But yes would also be great to see some other Live sites using the xcms for inspiration and hints etc...

Just 1 question... the images used for category/entry images are they stored in the database or file system ?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:19 PM

Advanced Member

Before I take the plunge and make a purchase can anyone describe any of the main differences between blog for xcart & xcms.... apart from the price looking at the features advertised they both seem to offer the same functions ?

Thanks !
Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivag
Before I take the plunge and make a purchase can anyone describe any of the main differences between blog for xcart & xcms.... apart from the price looking at the features advertised they both seem to offer the same functions ?

Thanks !
Same question here.. what's the differenve?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:11 AM

X-Guru

Quote:

Thanks !

I haven't used NewsPro before, but it seems that some of the benefits xCMS would have are top-level category display in the menu bar, unlimited subcategories, thumbnail images for both categories and posts, category description text for SEO optimization, recorded views, synopsis, cross-linked products (not just links in your article) so your article links to your product and your product page links to your article, all or individual RSS feed for subscription, integration with CDSEO including its sitemap generator for SEO.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Would anyone have a store with xcms running on it that I could have a look to see it up and running ? or is there a demo site for xcms ?

You can check out xcms in action on our website:

On the right hand menue scroll down to see Support/News/Learning Centre/Blogs by xcms

Displaying related content on a Category page:
(look at the top right menu)

http://www.espressoplanet.com/coffee-espresso/super-automatics-espresso-machines-coffee-makers/

Displaying related content on a Product Page:
(look at the top right menu and the product page tab)

http://www.espressoplanet.com/coffee-and-espresso/bialetti-moka-express-12-cup-stovetop-espresso-maker.html

Linking articles/content to related products/items:

http://www.espressoplanet.com/espresso-coffee-machine/how_to_use_french_press.html

Take it a step further and enter "cleaning" into the search box and look at the right hand menu

Mods I miss in 5.4.x:
xCMS, Create-A-Sale, On-Sale AC, Kit Builder AC, Manufacturer-A-Z BCSE, Product-Bundle BCSE, Pre-Order BCSE, Customer Quotes BCSE
Old 02-24-2011, 04:36 PM

Advanced Member

Thanks Jon and Espresso..... xcms definately does look great, so I will opt for that choice..... shame I couldnt really compare it to the other choice (blog) as they didnt take the time to "Promote" their product here or even offer a demonstration of the product..... so Jon wins out again as he seems to be more "on the ball" which is reassuring for support issues etc if they ever arise.....
Old 02-24-2011, 05:12 PM

X-Guru

Will be happy to answer any other questions.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:47 AM

X-Adept

Just a quick question as we have been thinking about xCMS for a while.

We currently have our blog on Wordpress running on another domain on a different server. What would be the best way to handle this using XCMS.

Happy to remove Wordpress from the mix or move domains to main server.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 AM

X-Guru

I you have an established blog on another domain you want to be careful about just shutting it down - you don't want to do that. If you are going to remove wordpress entirely, you need to add all the articles to xCMS and use 301 redirects from the old blog to the new to ensure that the link juice carries over. Depending on the situation and purposes of the blogs, it may make sense to keep that separate domain up too - depends on your situation.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Advanced Member

My Related Categories: section when making new entries is messed up.... I just get the first letter of every category showing instead of the full category name - any ideas ? everything else works great.....

Oh its xcms
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4