Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

V4 - keeping first level subcategories viewable at all times

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 09-25-2005, 08:57 AM

Advanced Member

As above, I would really like a menu like that.

One of the largest UK Suppliers of Car Modification Accessories
http://www.impact-styling.com
Old 09-25-2005, 10:38 AM

Code:
{* $Id: left_subcategories.tpl,v 1.00.0.0 2005/11/24 04:10:00 mclap Exp $ *} <div id="siteBodyLeftSubCats"> <div id="siteBodyLeftSubCatsTitle"> <div id="siteBodyLeftSubCatsTitleLeft"></div> {$current_category_top.category} <div id="siteBodyLeftSubCatsTitleRight"></div> </div> <ul class="subNav"> {section name=cat_num loop=$allcategories} {if $allcategories[cat_num].parentid eq $location[1].1|replace:"home.php?cat=":""} <li class="subNavLink">{ $allcategories[cat_num].category|escape } {if $config.Appearance.count_products eq "Y"}{if $subcat.product_count}({ $subcat.product_count }){/if}{/if} {/if} {/section} [/list] <div id="siteBodyLeftSubCatsLL"></div> <div id="siteBodyLeftSubCatsLR"></div> </div>

First, my code above displays all the time, everytime. I need an if statement that will only display after you have clicked on a category. Once you click on a category, the code above should display.

Next, I need to name the subcategory that they selected. I tried {$current_category_top.category} which didn't work. Then I tried {$current_category.category} which just displays the name of the item you are on. If I click on a sub cat, it will display the sub cat name, then if I click on a product, it will display the product name. I only want it to display the sub cat name for the 2nd level sub cat.

Additional Mods: X-Affiliate
Old 09-25-2005, 02:42 PM

I solved that by using a cookie. When I'm browsing a category, I'll create a cookie (e.g. X_CURRENT_CATEGORY). Then, when I'm in a product, I just retrieve the value of the cookie.

BTW: this is very useful if you want to add a Keep Shopping button on cart.php. You click it, and return to the last category you were on. If you want to refine it even more, you could even add an X_CURRENT_CATEGORY_PAGE cookie

Regards
Old 09-25-2005, 02:52 PM

I'd rather not use a cookie. You should be able to do this easily using some logic statements, but I just don't know what the variables are in xcart.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:58 PM

Anyone?

Old 10-02-2005, 10:25 PM

This seems to work just fine

Code:
{if $main ne "catalog" and $current_category.category eq ""} {else} {include file="customer/main/left_subcategories.tpl"} {/if}

The only problem is that I want the title of the subcategories (in the code in my last post) to show the sub cat title, not the product title.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:51 PM

Default subcategory mod not working w/ x-cart 4.1.0

Had this working with x-cart 4.0.13 however does not seem to work when upgrading to x-cart 4.1.0 ... any ideas?
Old 05-18-2006, 05:56 PM

Hello Fernando,

I have used your code
Code:
{if $config.General.root_categories eq "Y"} {section name=cat_num loop=$categories} <FONT class="CategoriesList">{$categories[cat_num].category}</FONT> {* Added by Fernando. Show first level of subcategories *} {if $current_category ne "" } {section name=subcat loop=$allcategories} {assign var=topmostcat value=$allcategories[subcat].categoryid_path|regex_replace:"/\/.*/":""} {assign var=current_category_top value=$current_category.categoryid_path|regex_replace:"/\/.*/":""} {if $current_category_top eq $topmostcat and $categories[cat_num].categoryid eq $topmostcat and $allcategories[subcat].parentid eq $topmostcat and $allcategories[subcat].categoryid ne $current_category_top} {$allcategories[subcat].category|truncate:20:"...":true} {/if} {/section} {/if} {* End added by Fernando *} {/section}
Thank you so much. It really helped me a lot.

Is there any way to use the same thing a second time with the first or top subcategory intead of the top category? or to say second from the top of the category tree?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:29 PM

As Hyperdelicious said, it doesnt seem to be working in x-cart 4.1.
I believe there are only 2 arrays present in the template that contain categories.
* $categories, which contains the toplevel categories.
* $subcategories, which contains the subcategories of the current category.
Is this correct?
And if it is I assume the only thing get the subcats of the parent category is to perform an extra query and assign the results to smarty?

I think the nicest thing to use would be that the category structure is available as a tree
Old 08-17-2006, 08:07 AM

Has anyone been able to figure out how to do this in 4.1?
mysql: 5.0.67-community
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions