Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

EASY CHECKOUT --> is there a better way

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 09-06-2005, 12:38 PM

eXpert

Default EASY CHECKOUT --> is there a better way

Hi first i have a general question regarding the easy checkout mod many on this forum seem to be using, from firetank and others.

The cart summary is not present on neither the method page or the payment page. Doesnt this hurt when a customer cant review their order one last time before they click to do the final submit.

Also what happens user select to use a giftcertificate but it doesnt cover the entire amount. How do they know ( x dollars of ) that the gift certificate was applied and the remaining balance on the order?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
general comments tell me what you think:
To me it seems wasteful to have a seperate page for payment method and then another page where they enter their payment details (credit card num...)

What if the page was combined into one. You can call the page
"Review & Pay"

at the top you would have the order summary

then below you would have their address, maybee billing and shipping
side by side (so that u save some space)

then below on the left it would say

select payment method (the below each have a radio button)
credit card
paypal
check
gift certifcate

the default you could set to credit card (so the center area has a space to enter credit card info)
if they select a different radio button the center area changes

then there is just a submit order.

what do you think of this scenario as opposed to the other, it shortens the checkout process, lets the customer review their order, and removes a page dedicated to asking a user their payment method.

The only question is how difficult this would be to implement
Old 09-06-2005, 12:53 PM

Veteran

You are welcome to create a mod of your own Jon's EZ Checkout is the best solution out there right now.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:57 PM

eXpert

im a just throwing the idea out there( not a devloper), and asking what people think. Also inquiring how difficult something like this might be to implement.
I dont mean to knock the other solution as it is definitely is, as you mentioned, the best solution out there and a big improvement over the default.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:46 PM

X-Guru

You can keep in the review summary simply by not performing Step 6 of the installation instructions.

The method that your listing would be much better, however it would be difficult to support as a mod because it requires some core code changes.

One way of doing it is to code it to skip the payment options page, and move forward to the payment page with the default credit card options page, edit the page to also display the order summary, and include an additional form submit to alter the payment method.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:43 PM

eXpert

Hi jon,

you are saying since it chanes some core code, every time someone upgrades their x-cart it would effect the installation?

Also in your mod how do you deal with gift certificates. Lets say i choose to pay with a gift certifcate but when i submit my order my gift certificate does not cover my total balance. What happens in this scenario?

Another alternative for checkout which i just thought of, but im sure will have many of the same "core changing problems" is the following:

after they enter their address info,
the next screen "payment"
has select payment method on the left(with radio buttons for choices) and the center has the details for that method.So initially if you have credit card selected the center area would have the credit card forms.
If they select gift certifcate the center area would have a very short description of their order ( say their total.. just so they can see their giftcretificate is applied and how much they still owe if any)and place to enter gift certifcate code
and when they apply the code it gets deducted right there. if it covers their balance the other radio buttons should become inactive- they can go to the next step or if not they can select another radio button/option if it does not cover their total balance.

then their is just one continue button
which when they click
it goes to "review order"
which has their addresses, summary of the payment method they chose in the previous step
items in their cartsummary of the items in their shopping cart.

then just one big button submit order

Just a thought

Anyway with the previous scenario how much work do you think would be involved in implementing.
Is this a "mission impossible" type of task
Old 09-06-2005, 06:23 PM

X-Man

Anything can be done, problem is once it's done if you need to run upgrade patches later, the more complex the changes you made, the more complex you're making your upgrade.

The checkout is one area you need to be careful moving around, jons easy checkout takes a safer route by wrapping around the core x-cart portions.

Used by X-carters the world over:
Marketing Manager Pro Bundle For X-cart
Featured Product Manager for X-cart
Feed manager pro for X-cart

http://www.firetanksoftware.com

Celebrating 7 Years of providing quality X-cart Add ons and X-cart Mods for x-cart 3.X to X-cart 4.4.X
Old 09-06-2005, 10:22 PM

X-Guru

^ Exactly, plus the less a mod changes code, the less support the mod developer is going to have to provide

It's not mission impossible, but would definitely take some tinkering, so it's hard to say exactly how much work would be involved. If your seriously interested in such a mod, visit WebsiteCM.com and submit a quote and I will give you an estimate, but be warned it would be a range.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:44 PM

eXpert

do you have an on/off option so that the customer header.tpl and footer.tpl stay in place throuhout the checkout process?

i personally dont like that they get lost and feels weird.

i dont want the customer to feel the same.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:32 PM

X-Guru

The fact that ez-checkout focuses on taking the money is exactly the point... we've already up-sold and filled our customer's cart-- now the goal is to get the money and convert, without any distractions. If you look at some live sites that use ezcheckout, it makes sense... If you prefer the other way, save $100 and use the stock checkout... I bought ez specifically so that the customer is only focused on paying at this point... no more up-sell. Take the money and convert.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:48 PM

Veteran

Moving to Third Party Add-Ons
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4