Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Xuru SEO Mod --> Free SEO Mod

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 09-16-2006, 01:25 PM

X-Wizard

Default Re: Xuru SEO Mod --> Free SEO Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00MER
Shouldn't Smarty auto-magically include/require anything within its plugin subdir?

http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/plugins.php

It says:
"Pre/postfilters and output filters are a bit of a special case. Since they are not mentioned in the templates, they must be registered or loaded explicitly via API functions before the template is processed."

But then:
"To install a plugin, simply place it in one of the directories and Smarty will use it automatically."

Its a little unclear. A test shows the first is right. Smarty does not automatically php include output filters.

But it turns out it is unnecessary in froogle.php for another reason. It is already included in smarty.php.

UGG Boots and other fine sheepskin products
http://www.snowriver.com
Old 09-16-2006, 01:42 PM

X-Wizard

Please note I edited my previous post of the froogle part of the mod on Saturday 9/16 at about 2:40 PM PDT to remove the unneccessary include_once, added a note on releases and fixed the find/replace for the product URL (I was wolfing down breakfast rushing to get out the door to open my B&M store and botched it horribly). Just goes to show you there are good reasons to pay for DSEFU or CDSEO - you get someone who has packaged it for human consumption already and will install it and make sure it works on your box.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:01 AM

X-Wizard

a smarty filter isn't the same as a smarty plugin, so like geckoday already mentioned, the include_once line is required.

I didn't have net access over the weekend, but this morning I was able to finish up some work that I was attempting on geckoday's code

Changes:
  • Replaces accented characters with normal characters, for use in urls
  • Implemented rewritten version of seo.php, which is used to redirect pages to their proper .html structure (similar functionality existed in the original release(s) of the SEO mod, but this seo.php was rewritten for speed)
  • Implemented HTTPS checks to prevent urls from being rewritten when in HTTPS mode (the version geckoday gave me didn't have the HTTPS statements included yet)
  • Implemented fix for multiple hyphens in url
  • Implemented ability to insert a static keyword into every rewritten url (for SoundChoice Store, used the keyword Karaoke). The keyword will not be inserted if it already exists in the url.

I am going to upload the code to the subversion repository in a branched version called "SEO Lite" or something similar. I will post a downloadable archive later this afternoon.

In the meantime, you can see the mod in action on our production website:

Sound Choice Karaoke

I will be looking into removing other possibilities of duplicate urls as mentioned by Jon (such as the js=y/n, printable pages, etc)

Thanks Jon for the reminder

Thanks gecko for your improved rewrite of the original XC SEO mod
Old 09-18-2006, 01:53 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by intel352
  • Implemented HTTPS checks to prevent urls from being rewritten when in HTTPS mode (the version geckoday gave me didn't have the HTTPS statements included yet)
The version I posted here has this fix (I had sent intel352 an earlier version).

Old 09-20-2006, 01:18 AM

X-Adept

Thanks for all the hard work you putting in this great mod!

Really looking forward to a version that can be used in a live store.

Don't want to hurry you of course, but is there any news/progress on a default robots.txt?

Thanks again!
Jerrad
Old 09-20-2006, 09:34 AM

X-Wizard

XC SEO Lite v 1.0.0 Released

Thread is available at the following url:
XC SEO Lite Released

Quote:
The XC SEO team is proud to announce the release of XC SEO Lite version 1.0.0.
XC SEO Lite is completely free, and licensed under the GNU GPL 2 license.
All code is versioned and available from our repository at:
http://code.google.com/p/x-cart-seo/

A zip of the release is available at the bottom of this post.
This release is for X-Cart 4.0.x and 4.1.x

A .htaccess file is included, it is recommended that you open the .htaccess file and COPY the contents into your existing .htaccess file.
Additionally, a default robots.txt has been included. The robots.txt file should be used with discretion and modified as needed for your own website.

Any incoming product/manufacturer/category links are properly 301 redirected to their html alias, so any existing pagerank should be transferred properly.

-------------
This project was started around April of 2006, grew into a sizeable modification that had several bugs due to the complexity of the code, and then lay dormant until recently. Xuru sparked new interest in the project by releasing a copy of the original XC SEO code with a few fixes included. Then geckoday released a stripped down and rewritten version of the XC SEO mod.

Due to the issues that still existed with the original code, I decided to use geckoday's rewritten code as a base. After several feature additions, and after testing the code on a production website with positive results, I'm proud to announce the first public release of XC SEO Lite.
-------------

XC SEO Lite functions similarly to DSEFU, in that it requires 0 template edits, and writes all Product/Manufacturer/Category urls to .html page aliases: sitename.com/categoryname.html

In the near future, I intend to release an XC SEO Advanced version that will function similar to the original XC SEO release (and similar to CDSEO), with the ability to rewrite urls using categories as folders: sitename.com/category1/category2/productname.html

--------------

Quote:
CHANGELOG

XC SEO Lite 1.0.0 (rev 6 - September 20, 2006)
====================================

* Replaced original XC SEO code with geckoday's rewritten code (rewrite of outputfilter & htaccess, he had dropped all other code/files)
* Altered code to replace accented characters with non-accented equivalent
* Added support for rewriting 'printable=Y' urls
* Added support for rewriting 'sort' & 'sort_direction' urls
* Added seo.php to rewrite/redirect category/product/manufacturer urls to new HTML alias
* Added ability to inject user-specified keyword into urls
* Added IF condition that turns off the mod under HTTPS urls
* Added conditional support for SEO mod in Froogle module
* Added default robots.txt
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions