Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart Next beta testing

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: X-Cart Next beta testing

I asked Qualiteam the same question and basically had the same answer only I now know that X-cart Next will be SaaS and subscription based. I am wondering, and have asked, how much subscriptions are and what the implications of SaaS are.

Dan

and

Old 12-27-2012, 06:09 AM

X-Guru

Will there be no non-SaaS solutions? Or is that what the Subscription base is for the non SaaS solution? A lot of people (probably almost all) choose X-cart because it's NOT an SaaS!

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSE
Will there be no non-SaaS solutions? Or is that what the Subscription base is for the non SaaS solution? A lot of people (probably almost all) choose X-cart because it's NOT an SaaS!

Carrie

We definately need a responce from Qualiteam on this as this will have a major impact on current users future business decisions.

"If you don't keep an eye on your business, someone else will."
Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 PM

Veteran

I have not heard that XCN will be SaaS solution at all. Ecwid is like that but this is different software.

As Carrie mentioned one of the main reasons for selectinig XC out of hundreds of shopping carts is that it is NOT Saas or subscription based service.

If XCN goes SaaS or subscription based that will probably be the end of it...

I don't think QT wants to kill it...
Old 12-28-2012, 03:36 AM

X-Guru

I won't use a SaaS for my cart.
I am an a la carte guy.
I will pay for (and have control over) my hosting and server management.
I will buy my software.
I have not given Adobe a dollar for their new subscription model. I own CS5. I paid them a fair price for the software. I get to use it per the terms of the license. That's the deal we made.

If XCN is subscription only, I'll pass.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 AM

X-Cart team

Hi guys!

As you see X-Cart v4 has changed a lot the last year: we accumulated our works developed in past and have released 14 new extensions, we▓ve launched new plans with many cool features included into the price and released the mobile version. Now, with the help of @totaltec, you can use the responsive skin in your online stores. And much more. We definitely have intentions to continue improving X-Cart v4 in the near future.

And it is the objective statement that XC4 is more powerful than XCN now. However with X-Cart Next we can extend functionality with custom features and continue have one-click upgrade.

At the same time we believe that we have to be on SaaS market since there are many store owners looking for a solution that doesn▓t require them to get into the technical details (web hosting, server administration and so on). And X-Cart Next with its modern software architecture perfectly fits this business model. This is not that we are completely switching to the subscription model only, no. But it is a great opportunity for us to run new platform on alternative market right now.

Moreover, this will allows us to receive live feedback on X-Cart Next and improve our new e-commerce platform until it is mature enough to replace X-Cart v4 on the downloadable software market. So, there will be downloaded X-Cart Next later. Meanwhile, hosted version will help us to get more and more new features and create developers community for the next platform.

Guys, really, we do not want to have an e-commerce platform like Shopify has (where SaaS is only one choice), but we are looking for Magento model, where there are downloaded solution for the developers and hosted solution for customers.

The following 3 users thank xim for this useful post:
BCSE (12-28-2012), Emerson (12-28-2012), totaltec (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 AM

X-Adept

Thanks Maxim, and is it guesswork as to when X-Cart Next will be a downloadable version? It's real difficult for us to choose at the moment and I am hoping that I can survive on our rather old architecture until X-Cart Next is in the right place.

Am I correct in saying that when X-Cart Next catches up to XC4, XC4 will stop being improved and naturally die so the next logical step is to move to X-Cart Next at that point?

Thanks

Dan

and

Old 12-28-2012, 05:27 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xim
we are looking for Magento model, where there are downloaded solution for the developers and hosted solution for customers.

Maxim,

What about the customer who has in-house development? We are not re-selling anything - but we have dev resources in-house.

In a recent discussion with one of your engineers, he told me that his goal for his module was for "a housewife to use it... " If this is a company goal, then I think you are really missing the boat...

E-Commerce isn't easy. It's not "build it and they will come" anymore... the skillset required to provision and launch (and actually make money) with any online store is well beyond "housewife" and I think catering to the wanna-bes is not going to make your product a flagship.

By the looks of it, it appears that your business model has become selling development services, and the xcart software is your loss-leader, right? That's ok -- but it helps current owners to know what we're in for.

Thanks for sharing with the forum.

Jeremy
Old 12-28-2012, 05:43 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanUK
Am I correct in saying that when X-Cart Next catches up to XC4, XC4 will stop being improved and naturally die so the next logical step is to move to X-Cart Next at that point?

Until there are existed active customers who working with XC4, we will continue support and improve this branch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanUK
and is it guesswork as to when X-Cart Next will be a downloadable version? It's real difficult for us to choose at the moment and I am hoping that I can survive on our rather old architecture until X-Cart Next is in the right place.

I understand. There are a lot of live stores, which used XCN-core (LiteCommerce) and you see they are happy. In other view, XC4 has a lot 3d party extensions which can make your store much more powerful. And in the next year we are planning to release new extensions. I saw betas and they are awesome

However, as soon as X-Cart Next is released and there is download version you can make a choice what to use. It depend on your goals.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:03 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
What about the customer who has in-house development? We are not re-selling anything - but we have dev resources in-house.

In a recent discussion with one of your engineers, he told me that his goal for his module was for "a housewife to use it... " If this is a company goal, then I think you are really missing the boat...

I don't see any contradiction in what you say about housewife. iPhone is smartphone for housewives, but AppStore is a big market for the developers.

The software must be easy for use. Telnet and SSH-client are for professional, for end-users - clear and nice interfaces. If the housewife wants to implement a special mod, she can download existed Add-On, created by developers, or directly hire a developer who made this custom feature especially for her. Therefore, we definitely need developers for the new platform. And one of our big task today - is creating developer-docs.
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements