Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Product Options and Image previews - any ideas?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 03-12-2006, 03:19 AM

how can I display the proper selected variant image in cart?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:03 AM

Like I say, if you make all your "variant" images the same size, then you can use the method that I explained in full earlier in this thread.

However, (for the purposes of showing the relevant "variant" image in the cart) if your variant images are different sizes then you will need to amend the previous code I gave to include the php function
Code:
getImageSize()
which sniffs the image size. That way you can dynamically output the width and height attributes proportionately in the cart.

Note this all assumes that you want to use large "variant" images on the product page and small thumbnail versions in the cart. In actuality we are using the same images but using the width and height parameters in the cart to make them into thumbnails so we can save on screen real estate)

Have a look at http://uk2.php.net/getimagesize for the full detail of the return values.

Since I am not using different size images, I dont really have a great need to investigate in detail how to implement this feature -- but in principle this will be the way to go (assuminmg you have a basic knowledge of php programmiung, you should be able to make some minor changes to include getImageSize instead of hard coding the width/height params as I currently do)
Old 03-12-2006, 06:21 AM

Thanks. I got it. However, looks like this mod does not work with filesystem. I just switched from database to filesystem and it stopped working.

getImageSize() will not work as it needs a physical location.
-----------------------------
edit:
ok, works. I had to reupload all the variants images
Old 03-12-2006, 01:49 PM

eXpert

After looking at the mod. One thing seems a bit awkward, or not what I would expect. (unless u do not have larger images for the various colors)

When u select a different color from the drop down, and the image switches when i slect to enlarge it that image is always the same image.

I would think that it should be the larger image of that color for example.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:27 AM

Simply because xcart have called their database table "xcart_thumbnails" doesnt mean you actually need to include thumbnail sized images rather than larger ones. This mod stores large images in the "xcart_thumbnails" table (rather than in the detailed images table). Here is an example of the mod in use

www.lastangelsonearth.co.uk/heavenly/product.php?productid=116176

There is no need to have a popup with "large/detailed" images in it since we are already showing the large images inline within the product display page. (it would be entirely possible to use this mod without having ANY images in the "detailed" images table. I happen to include them since it means I dont have to add a "detailed" image to the "xcart_thumbnail" table for products which only have a single option -- ie my detailed image is a "default" image if there are no "variant" images available)

Personally I am using the "detailed" images table to store "detailed" images -- if you rest your cursor on the little magnifying glass in the previous url link, you will see a "detailed" image.

However, if you wanted to have "even larger" popup images (which are stored in the "detailed" images table) then you will need to do a bit of javascript programming to select the correct image for the popup.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:49 AM

I agree, awesome mod . I'm having a problem with the alternate image showing up in the case where one is being used, otherwise it works great. Is anyone having this problem? Is there a solution?
AOM - Soon
Flexy Rectangles
Old 04-08-2006, 07:24 PM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel
Thanks. I got it. However, looks like this mod does not work with filesystem. I just switched from database to filesystem and it stopped working.

getImageSize() will not work as it needs a physical location.
-----------------------------
edit:
ok, works. I had to reupload all the variants images

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnelson
Jeffos, did you ever figure out what needed to be changed on yours to get it to work? I am seeing a similar result. Everything looks as if it should work, however I get the buttons for Delete Image and Change Image where the variant image should be inserted.

This is store is currently using 4.0.13

i am have the same problem too no matter what i click on after uploading the image it just wont display them even as a thumb nail on the variants page
ik too am using file system but have been using it b4 i tried this mod. has anyone got any idea how to get this to work as i am a complete beginner with this coding lark lol
Old 05-24-2006, 09:40 AM

Advanced Member

I would really like to use this mod, however ff i make the changes to the admin section do i still need to make all the other changes?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:23 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnelson
Jeffos, did you ever figure out what needed to be changed on yours to get it to work? I am seeing a similar result. Everything looks as if it should work, however I get the buttons for Delete Image and Change Image where the variant image should be inserted.

This is store is currently using 4.0.13

i did all the admin stuff and i am gettin this problem too.. did you ever fix this jcnelson?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:32 PM

first i want to start with a thank you. this is an awesome mod, from start to finish.

im trying to add my images in bulk (i have almost 1000 total products including variants). im using a file system NOT blobs. does anyone know a script similiar to the IMPORT IMAGES already in the admin console that would accomidate this mod. more scecifically i am looking to upload thumbnail images using only PRODUCT CODE and the image path. again, thanks for everyones help so far and in the future.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions