Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Drop down/flyout categories... where do I start?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 09-26-2003, 09:16 AM

Advanced Member

Default Drop down/flyout categories... where do I start?

I want to make a fly out version of my cateogy menu.... Something I am used to doing in Dreamweaver in static web sites, but not in a site like this.

Is there a plug in available, even a commecially available one, that will make this easier? I would like categoires to flyout showing subcategories, etc.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2003, 11:36 PM

X-Man

Is it just one level of subcategories that you would like?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:37 PM

X-Man

also what version are you running?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:43 PM

X-Man

Actually...here's the code for include/categories.php:

Code:
<? /*****************************************************************************\ +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | X-Cart | | Copyright (c) 2001-2003 Ruslan R. Fazliev <rrf@rrf.ru> | | All rights reserved. | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | PLEASE READ THE FULL TEXT OF SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT IN THE "COPYRIGHT" | | FILE PROVIDED WITH THIS DISTRIBUTION. THE AGREEMENT TEXT IS ALSO AVAILABLE | | AT THE FOLLOWING URL: http://www.x-cart.com/license.php | | | | THIS AGREEMENT EXPRESSES THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ON WHICH YOU MAY USE | | THIS SOFTWARE PROGRAM AND ASSOCIATED DOCUMENTATION THAT RUSLAN R. | | FAZLIEV (hereinafter referred to as "THE AUTHOR") IS FURNISHING OR MAKING | | AVAILABLE TO YOU WITH THIS AGREEMENT (COLLECTIVELY, THE "SOFTWARE"). | | PLEASE REVIEW THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT | | CAREFULLY BEFORE INSTALLING OR USING THE SOFTWARE. BY INSTALLING, | | COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU AND YOUR COMPANY | | (COLLECTIVELY, "YOU") ARE ACCEPTING AND AGREEING TO THE TERMS OF THIS | | LICENSE AGREEMENT. IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO BE BOUND BY THIS | | AGREEMENT, DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE. VARIOUS COPYRIGHTS AND | | OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS PROTECT THE SOFTWARE. THIS | | AGREEMENT IS A LICENSE AGREEMENT THAT GIVES YOU LIMITED RIGHTS TO USE | | THE SOFTWARE AND NOT AN AGREEMENT FOR SALE OR FOR TRANSFER OF TITLE.| | THE AUTHOR RETAINS ALL RIGHTS NOT EXPRESSLY GRANTED BY THIS AGREEMENT. | | | | The Initial Developer of the Original Code is Ruslan R. Fazliev | | Portions created by Ruslan R. Fazliev are Copyright (C) 2001-2003 | | Ruslan R. Fazliev. All Rights Reserved. | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ \*****************************************************************************/ # # $Id: categories.php,v 1.46.2.1 2003/06/02 11:57:44 svowl Exp $ # # # For users some categories may be disabled # if ($current_area == "C") { $membership_condition = " AND ($sql_tbl[categories].membership='$user_account[membership]' OR $sql_tbl[categories].membership='') "; } else { $membership_condition = ""; } // funkydunk modification // amended query to get the main cat and subcat for each record $categories_data = func_query("select $sql_tbl[categories].*, SUBSTRING_INDEX($sql_tbl[categories].category, '\/', -1) as category_name, SUBSTRING_INDEX($sql_tbl[categories].category, '\/', 1) as maincat, SUBSTRING_INDEX($sql_tbl[categories].category, '\/', 2) as subcat from $sql_tbl[categories] ".($current_area=="C"?"where $sql_tbl[categories].avail='Y' $membership_condition ":"")." group by $sql_tbl[categories].categoryid order by ".($current_area=="C" ? "order_by" : "category")); # # Put all categories into $all_categories array and find current_category # by categoryid stored in $cat # if(!$categories_data) $categories_data = array(); foreach($categories_data as $k=>$category_data) { if ($current_area == "C") { $int_res = func_query_first("SELECT * FROM $sql_tbl[categories_lng] WHERE code='$store_language' AND categoryid='$category_data[categoryid]'"); if ($int_res["category"]) $categories_data[$k]["category_name"] = $category_data["category_name"] = $int_res["category"]; if ($int_res["description"]) $categories_data[$k]["description"] = $category_data["description"] = $int_res["description"]; } if ($category_data["categoryid"]==$cat) { $current_category = $category_data; } // funkydunk code if(strstr($category_data["category"],"/")) { if ($category_data["category"] == $category_data["subcat"]){ // echo "got one"; // after taking off the initial category name this checks to see if this is only a sub category with no categories below it. // if i didn't do this the subcategory would be duplicated in the list $categories_data[$k]["subcatonly"]="true"; } } // end of funkydunk amended code $all_categories = $categories_data; // func_print_r ($all_categories); } # # Put all root categories to $categories array # Put all subcategories of current_category to $categories array # foreach($all_categories as $all_category) { $category=$all_category["category"]; $cur_dir_len = strlen($current_category["category"]); if(!strstr($category,"/")) { $categories[]=$all_category; if(empty($current_category)) { $subcategories[]=$all_category; } } if(substr($category,0,$cur_dir_len+1) == $current_category["category"]."/" and $category!=$current_category["category"]) if(!strstr(substr($category,$cur_dir_len+1),"/")) { $all_category["category"]=ereg_replace("^.*/","",$all_category["category"]); $subcategories[]=$all_category; } } # # Put subcategory_count to $subcategories array # if ($subcategories) foreach($subcategories as $key =>$subcategory) { $subcategory["subcategory_count"]=0; foreach($all_categories as $all_category) { if ($all_category["categoryid"]==$subcategory["categoryid"]) { $cur_dir_len = strlen($all_category["category"]); $current_subcategory=$all_category["category"]; } } foreach($all_categories as $all_category) { $category=$all_category["category"]; if(substr($category,0,$cur_dir_len+1) == $current_subcategory."/" and $category!=$current_subcategory) if(!strstr(substr($category,$cur_dir_len+1),"/")) $subcategory["subcategory_count"]++; } $subcategories[$key]["subcategory_count"]=$subcategory["subcategory_count"]; } # # Generate category sequence, i.e. # Books, Books/Poetry, Books/Poetry/Philosophy ... # $current_category_array = explode("/",$current_category["category"]); $prev = $current_category_array[0]; list($key,$val)=each($current_category_array); $new_array = array($val); while(list($key,$val)=each($current_category_array)) { $new_array[] = $prev."/".$val; $prev = $prev."/".$val; } unset($current_category_array); # # Generate array for displaying categories sequence in location # $category_location=array(); reset($all_categories); $my_cats = array (); foreach($all_categories as $all_category) { $categoryid=$all_category["categoryid"]; $category=$all_category["category"]; $my_cats [$categoryid] = $category; } asort ($my_cats); foreach ($my_cats as $categoryid => $category) { reset ($new_array); while(list($key,$val)=each($new_array)) { if ($val==$category) { foreach($categories_data as $category_data) { if ($category_data["categoryid"] == $categoryid) $val = $category_data["category_name"]; } $category_location[]=array(ereg_replace(".*/","",$val),"home.php?cat=".$categoryid); } } } # # Assign Smarty variables # $smarty->assign("allcategories",$all_categories); $smarty->assign("categories",$categories); $smarty->assign("subcategories",$subcategories); $smarty->assign("current_category",$current_category); $smarty->assign("cat",$cat); ?>
Old 09-29-2003, 06:52 AM

Advanced Member

I am running the most recent version of X-Cart. We just installed it last week.

I would actually like the menus to show more than one level deep of subcategorie, at least one more.

I am looking over this chunk of code you sent me now to see if it makes sense to me. I'm not especially experienced with this kind of thing.

Jeff
Old 10-08-2003, 12:14 AM

X-Man

Jeff

I am working on a downloadable mod for drop down menus whereby you can just switch this on/off in admin and have all the submenus poluated by the database.

I will let you know when it is complete.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:04 AM

Advanced Member

Default SubCategories

Is that Sub Cat thing work with ver 3.4.6?
4.0.0 in dev, 3.4.14 deluxegrills.com, 3.4.6 kegworks.com Modded by X-Cart: Freight Zones, Linkshare, Shipping Fixes, Individual Product Shipping Methods, Banners, Custom Export for FileMaker Pro, PHP: 4.3.7, MySQL server: 4.0.20, Apache1.3.1 OS: Linux
Old 10-28-2003, 01:58 AM

X-Man

It will work with 3.4.x and 3.5.x versions when completed....still about a week or so away I am afraid
Old 10-28-2003, 01:52 PM

eXpert

Hi Funky,

I definitely want this mod too. I need a horozontal category list where each parent category goes into its own table cell. Will that type of set up work with what you're doing?

Thanks,
Cameron
Old 10-29-2003, 12:06 PM

Advanced Member

Default Can it be done like the OS Commerce style?

Can it be done like the OS Commerce style?

Main Cat
Sub Cat 1
Sub Cat 2
Main Cat
Main Cat
Main Cat
4.0.0 in dev, 3.4.14 deluxegrills.com, 3.4.6 kegworks.com Modded by X-Cart: Freight Zones, Linkshare, Shipping Fixes, Individual Product Shipping Methods, Banners, Custom Export for FileMaker Pro, PHP: 4.3.7, MySQL server: 4.0.20, Apache1.3.1 OS: Linux
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions