Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Survey Builder from MagneticOne Feedback?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 11-19-2008, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Survey Builder from MagneticOne Feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwest
The improvements are great, especially the 'Questions Grid'. One glaring problem, however, is the inability to export the results into a format that's usable. It may be difficult to do with the questions grid, so perhaps a slightly different solution is in order for questions thank rank satisfaction numerically (1 to 10 or otherwise), but simply telling us what percentage of respondents replied to such a question is pointless. Another possibly solution would be the ability to assign a numeric value to each column and use that for further analysis (which would work well if someone wanted to use 'neutral', 'satisfied', etc. in place of numeric values).

I'm not sure I'm making my point clearly, so here's an example. I setup the following question:

"How satisfied are you with each of the following aspects of your purchase from mydomain.com?"
Product Availability - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Order Tracking/Status Info - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
On-Time Delivery - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Each of the numbers is represented by a radio button, and the numbers are listed once along the top as a key. I can now create this question using Survey Builder, which is a great improvement. When I look at the results in the survey admin I can see how many times each specific radio-button was selected. However, if I want to export those results from the survey admin, so that I can actually make sense of them (ex: take an average, or look at the mean), the exported data only tells me the percentage of responses each ROW received (ie: they all show at 20% if you have 5 rows and respondents select a rating for each of the 5 rows). Preferably, I would be able to see some statistical information in Survey Builder, but I would definitely settle for a working export function.

See the attached images of both the survey admin and the export file.

I see what you mean.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

There are several aspects of this question:
1. You can also check CondensedSpreadsheet export - it has grid, stored as x/y values, listed one by one.
2. Export formats - we support industry-common formats, that are supported by major players in survey world. Most of them are later processed by some systems programmatically, not manually. (SPSS is good example of such software)
Especially for this purpose there are XML-based formats.

There are no simple way of storing set of values (matrix) as a single value, each way will have some trade-off.

3. Questions Grid and it's export
Lets think about it as matrix - x (horizontal), y (vertical) scales.
X can be different types of values,
1. can be numbers 1-10 (as in your example)
In this case exporting average value makes sense
2. can be set of words (Variant 1, Variant 2, Variant 3 etc) - where you can select only 1 (1 variant). In this case exporting selected one makes sense (no way to make average of few strings)
3. Can be multi-select options, i.e. you can select more than 1 Y value per each row(X).
Example - X - list of features, Y - list of products.
In this case it makes sense to export all selected values for each row (X).

Now - lets assume we need summary of this (as in your example)
Each of these 3 types requires little different summary formats.

We will think about improving this export function, key thing here is that we aren't first who faced this task and it makes sense to use existing formats, not create new own one.

I will place update notification here when this improvement will be implemented.

I welcome your other improvement suggestions.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by savajr
I see what you mean.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

There are several aspects of this question:
1. You can also check CondensedSpreadsheet export - it has grid, stored as x/y values, listed one by one.
2. Export formats - we support industry-common formats, that are supported by major players in survey world. Most of them are later processed by some systems programmatically, not manually. (SPSS is good example of such software)

There are no simple way of storing set of values (matrix) as a single value, each way will have some trade-off.

I understand that it's a challenging problem, and I wouldn't mind having to manipulate the data myself in Excel if it could be exported properly, but right now that isn't the case. I won't pretend to know what's common in the 'survey world', but a few places I've looked have seperated grid questions into various types for that very reason.

1) The CondensedSpreadsheet export does NOT export the values for each answer - it simply exports a list of the rows that were answered (ie: the x values). I've attached the export below in case you want to have a look - it's completely useless for statistical analysis (or otherwise) when it comes to the 'Grid Questions'.

2) SPSS is a $1700 piece of software. The point of survey builder (as opposed to simply using an online survey service such as Survey Monkey) is that we would have a bit more control AND that there would be no recurring fee. If there is a need to purchase expensive software just to manipulate the data (even in simple ways, such as taking an average) then there is no longer value in your software solution.

Also - both XML exports fail due to a fatal error. I will try to reinstall, but as everything else is working properly that may be something for you to look into.
Attached Files
File Type: csv CondensedSpreadsheet-111808.csv (1.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-19-2008, 05:04 PM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by savajr

I've attached examples of Survey Monkey's export functionality. Their format seems to be very close to yours, except that they do properly list a grid of the x/y values for each survey that can be used for statistical analysis. Perhaps there is simply a bug in your intended export format as I assume they are also following industry standards.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Examples.zip (78.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwest
I understand that it's a challenging problem, and I wouldn't mind having to manipulate the data myself in Excel if it could be exported properly, but right now that isn't the case. I won't pretend to know what's common in the 'survey world', but a few places I've looked have seperated grid questions into various types for that very reason.

1) The CondensedSpreadsheet export does NOT export the values for each answer - it simply exports a list of the rows that were answered (ie: the x values). I've attached the export below in case you want to have a look - it's completely useless for statistical analysis (or otherwise) when it comes to the 'Grid Questions'.

2) SPSS is a $1700 piece of software. The point of survey builder (as opposed to simply using an online survey service such as Survey Monkey) is that we would have a bit more control AND that there would be no recurring fee. If there is a need to purchase expensive software just to manipulate the data (even in simple ways, such as taking an average) then there is no longer value in your software solution.

Also - both XML exports fail due to a fatal error. I will try to reinstall, but as everything else is working properly that may be something for you to look into.

We have small improvement, based on your initial report, should be available in next release.

I welcome you to submit the problem with XML export at bugs.magneticone.com

Will check SurveyMonkey formats to ensure compatibility.

You are exactly right regarding the advantages of own survey, I welcome additional suggestions or reports if any.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Why don't you guys just set up an auto email that directs customers to a static php page that emails/exports you the results?

Seems like a simpler approach...
Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrero
Why don't you guys just set up an auto email that directs customers to a static php page that emails/exports you the results?

Seems like a simpler approach...

This functionality will be implemented also.
Basically we plan to have regular schedule emails that will be sent daily/weekly/...ly with results for this period of time (or at the end of survey).

You already can export the results, smart emailing will be added also. Idea is to have it automated to avoid going somewhere to check something, while keep advanced functionality for advanced customers.

I welcome your other suggestions Petrero.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4