Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Responsive or mobile template or both

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM

Advanced Member

Default Responsive or mobile template or both

I'm looking at a new site that will have to be available to mobile users. I'm havng trouble understanding why a separate mobile template is a good idea rather than using one of the responsive templates ?

There are a couple of key requirements for this site :-

guest checkout (no registering)
One page checkout (prob Altered Cart)
continuity of appearance/layout between devices
maintenance of the site to be kept to a minimum.

The intended customers are non technical, in a hurry and browse multiple times before purchasing (possibley from multiple locations/devices).

It looks like I'm coming down on the side of a responsive template but would like opinions etc from the X-Cart world.

Also, has anyone done any comparison of the various responsive templates out there ?

Regards,

David

X-Cart Gold 4.4.3
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: Responsive or mobile template or both

If you are starting from scratch, why not to use a responsive design, indeed, in order to keep the continuity of design on all devices. Here is an example of such an X-Cart store: http://www.x-cart.com/success-stories/fieldaesthetic-story.html

As for X-Cart Mobile, this module might be very useful, for example, to existing X-Cart stores whose owners can not afford a revamp of design or do not want to do it for some reason. Also, a separate mobile version kind of gives you more freedom as you can create any sophisticated design for your X-Cart store you can think of without constantly thinking of how it will look on smaller devices. At the same time your customers will enjoy a special thought-out UI of X-Cart Mobile module that allows to effectively shop via small screens of their mobile devices.

The following 3 users thank elaine for this useful post:
ambal (01-27-2013), tickseed (01-24-2013), totaltec (01-24-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 AM

X-Wizard

I'm currently building my 4.5.x (live site on 4.4.5) and was sort of in the same situation since changing branches means manually redoing all of my customizations.

Responsive Pro:
I love responsive templates. I just upgraded one of my information sites to a new WordPress responsive template and it's working wonderfully. So much simpler with just a single template. I'm currently upgrading a second WordPress site to a different responsive template and it's coming out great too.

Responsive Con:
If I'm such a fan of responsive templates then why did I purchase X-Cart's X-Mobile? I am using the separate mobile template for X-Cart because my site has tons of information which helps sell my niche products and is presented in a very aesthetic and organized way when viewed on a desktop. The problem for me with making my site responsive is that when my site would fold into a single column on smaller mobile platforms (phones) there would be a lot of scrolling making it harder for my customers to find and buy.

Mobile Template Pro:
My view is that mobile users need a more efficient experience than desktop users. For my mobile visitors, I want things uncluttered, easy and efficient. I just did a quick Google search and found this: http://www.designer-daily.com/analyzing-mobile-vs-desktop-user-behavior-29380

Mobile Template Con:
Oh great... now I have another template to buy, tweak, and upgrade But... I can't afford not to have a mobile option on my site with 20 to 30% of my daily visits via a mobile device.

IMHO I think either a single responsive template or adding a mobile template is an absolute must and the decision of which to use comes down the design of your site and how do make it so you capture as many non-mobile and mobile sales per visit as you can.

Spend some time with the responsive templates on your desktop and then all 3 on your smartphone. Hope this helped a little... Paul

http://demos.xcartmods.co.uk/adapt453/
http://x-guru.com/response/
http://mdemo.x-cart.com/home.php
  • Total Server Solutions Hosting | Linux | PHP v7.2 | MySQL v5.6.40 |

The following 4 users thank elmirage001 for this useful post:
elaine (01-25-2013), handsonwebhosting (01-29-2013), PhilJ (01-25-2013), totaltec (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 AM

X-Guru

A mobile specific template is always going to be best on small devices like cell phones. Where the grey area starts for me is at the tablet size.

Another consideration is desktops, the range of monitor sizes is huge these days. I am working in 1920 x 1080 and my coworker is looking at 1280 x 854. We can expect that screens are going to get larger, and smaller, and have more in-between sizes. Responsive web design is the only way to handle this properly in my opinion. I also think you need to give your mobile users a choice, sometimes I want to show someone something on my phone, but the mobile website is so different that I can't find what I want or it doesn't exist in the mobile site. So having the full site optimized for display on small devices is pretty important too, and the ability to switch between a mobile specific interface or a full desktop version is a must.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.

The following 2 users thank totaltec for this useful post:
elaine (01-25-2013), elmirage001 (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 AM

X-Wizard

Hi Mike! Thanks for educating my brain that screens are getting larger too I'll PM you with the URL of my 4.5.4 site to see how I allow quick switching between templates. Thanks for all your posts and all you do! Paul
  • Total Server Solutions Hosting | Linux | PHP v7.2 | MySQL v5.6.40 |

The following user thanks elmirage001 for this useful post:
totaltec (01-25-2013)
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project