Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

HomeBrewSupplyofTexas.com is ready for your feedback - prelaunch

X-Cart forums > General > Show us your X-Cart site

Old 01-14-2008, 06:57 PM

Advanced Member

Default Re: HomeBrewSupplyofTexas.com is ready for your feedback - prelaunch

Balinor.. I'm ready for another grade.

Per your requests....

1. Changed hosts... Switched from ValueWeb to HardHatHosting (who is awesome). ValueWeb was terrible, they did however help me transfer my thawte cert that was recently renewed. BIG DIFFERENCE in speed

2. SEO - I've ordered the CDSEO mode and Product Meta Mod from websitecm.com but haven't got it yet. That's the biggest thing on the list to still do so site it still oldschool.

3. Got rid of the third column, widened the page by 150 pixels and changed the product layout to 4 column. I have not done the 'My Account' mod. Read all the pages still sorting through it all. That's #1 on my list tomorrow.

4. Applied Sub-Cat Icon mod (page 14 of that link). Now I have that many more pics to process.

5. Got rid of recommended products.. have yet to do upsale.

6. All linkage should be fixed. SSL works. Site is in root.

7. Completed security checklist.

www.homebrewsupplyoftexas.com

Do you think it's better?

Thanks for all your help.
-Lance

Any and all comments welcome.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:58 PM

Advanced Member

I should add, there are still few products that are completed.

You might browse to Beer Ingredient Kits > Canned Kits to see some finished product.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Advanced Member

One other thing.. got rid of all the red.. lines, prices and icon. Changed to something more site friendly.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:39 AM

Veteran

MUCH better. Still need to do that SEO work though, those default URLS are going to kill you. Also be sure to block the printable links from the Search Engines, or better yet, kill that all together.

May want to put a 'dynamic' cart in the header....the 'Your cart contains x items' with a link to the cart and checkout if there is an item in there. You can copy the code from the mini cart template.

Move the gift certificates link into the main category menu...no need for a whole additional menu just for one link

Bold your phone number a bit, that's an important piece of info. May also want to put some funky text in the grape vine graphic...maybe the phone number, or you can swap it out with monthly specials or something. Just gives it a bit more pop.

Turn off all the extra fields on the contact form, no one wants to fill out all that just to send you an e-mail. Name, phone and e-mail are all you need.

Looking good!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:44 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
MUCH better. Still need to do that SEO work though, those default URLS are going to kill you. Also be sure to block the printable links from the Search Engines, or better yet, kill that all together.

May want to put a 'dynamic' cart in the header....the 'Your cart contains x items' with a link to the cart and checkout if there is an item in there. You can copy the code from the mini cart template.

Move the gift certificates link into the main category menu...no need for a whole additional menu just for one link

Bold your phone number a bit, that's an important piece of info. May also want to put some funky text in the grape vine graphic...maybe the phone number, or you can swap it out with monthly specials or something. Just gives it a bit more pop.

Turn off all the extra fields on the contact form, no one wants to fill out all that just to send you an e-mail. Name, phone and e-mail are all you need.

Looking good!

Working through the suggestions.. completed the My Account mod and made the picture a little nicer. Completed Meta Mod, still waiting on CD SEO.

However, I've been searching... what's the best way to kill printable links or at least keep them from being indexed?

In your opinion, why would you remove that altogether?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 AM

Veteran

You need to add the printable page url to your robots.txt file to block it. Personally I don't find it all useful, as most sites print fine without it, so I just disable it in General Settings.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:17 PM

Advanced Member

Quote:
disable it in General Settings.

That's what I was looking for!

Sometimes, things just run together and you spend far too much time looking for something. You've been a tremendous help!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:50 PM

Advanced Member

Quote:

Looking good!

Ok.. ready for another review!

I 'think' the only thing I haven't done in your list of suggestions is move gift certs.. not sure how yet.

Soooooooo... what do you think?

X-Cart forums > General > Show us your X-Cart site