Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Look at X-cart very carefully !

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Look at X-cart very carefully !

Kgoel is exactly right.

After looking at a couple of the best ecommerce carts, including X-Cart, I am shocked to find the current programming model. Especially in an application where customization is virtually required for success.

Sure, there are always a few small things that need to get fixed whenever the end user updates core software that has had significant customization, but manually re-doing template files and core files every time is crazy.

Look at Wordpress with theme frameworks like Thesis. All customizations are kept separate from the core files, and use Wordpress "hooks" and custom CSS files to tie into core program efficiently. The same concept for Wordpress plugins.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
Kgoel is exactly right.

After looking at a couple of the best ecommerce carts, including X-Cart, I am shocked to find the current programming model. Especially in an application where customization is virtually required for success.

Sure, there are always a few small things that need to get fixed whenever the end user updates core software that has had significant customization, but manually re-doing template files and core files every time is crazy.

Look at Wordpress with theme frameworks like Thesis. All customizations are kept separate from the core files, and use Wordpress "hooks" and custom CSS files to tie into core program efficiently. The same concept for Wordpress plugins.
Is there any other ecommerce software that has a better programming model compared to X-cart?

I am about to buy 3 licences for a fairly large client and I would rather go with the best than go with something that is hard to update/change in the future.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:40 AM

I'm not sure, but highly doubt it.

I only looked at a few of the best systems worth considering in my opinion, and I couldn't see a clear winner in that regard.
  • X-Cart: Well known, largest developer support community, lots of add-ons, etc. - but, the current solution to PA-DSS with separate X-Payments application redirect is a HUGE problem for me.
  • Pinnacle Cart: Lots of advanced features like X-Cart (some better, some worse), not as well known or as easy to find a developer, but fully PA-DSS compliant (and PCI compliant).
  • Shopsite: Similar comments, but I preferred Pinnacle Cart.
  • Magento: Nice, but not ready for prime time in my opinion. Also, monster pig on server resources. (BTW, I didn't look closely at Magento regarding ability to separate custom code from core code).
Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 AM

X-Man

In my opinion PHP + MySQL + Smarty is the right combination for people who would like to customize fast their shopping carts. I am a familiar with Prestashop and CS C.a.r.t. Both using Smarty templates. Interspire is good, close to Magento, but very expensive and it is not offering features like XCart offers. OpenCart, Zen Cart are ok too.

Try avoid Magento. A good friend of mine, had a crash of his site. It is working but with lot of errors. He doesn't know where to start the investigation. For sure he will rebuild everything from scratch.

Please try to remember when you chose a shopping cart. None of them will offer what you would like to get from the very beginning. Community, Support, Add-ons are things to take in consideration. X-Cart v4.4 could be a strong option if the QT makes it bug free and add a few more features close to our times.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com

The following user thanks ADDISON for this useful post:
xplorer (03-16-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 08:43 AM

Check out ZenCart if you want to maintain your modifications through upgrades. Their folder system allows you to store your own template files in a separate folder that is never overwritten.

Of course, there could be security fixes to the files you have modified, which won't be implemented. The onus rests upon you to examine the files and carry over any updates. Generally, the core files are untouched by template modifications though. Over the course of 2 years though, I've had maybe one or two files that have needed to be updated.

It's interesting that X-Cart doesn't use a similar system. Zen-Cart is a beast to understand though, and without a PHP/MySQL background it can be a daunting task.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:03 AM

Veteran

Seems you have not seen XC 4.4.x branch which is out for over a year. Oh and XC upgrades never overwrite or modify customizations to files

The following 3 users thank cflsystems for this useful post:
am2003 (09-14-2011), ambal (10-11-2011), Ene (09-15-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 AM

X-Guru

From time to time, I embark on the mission of finding the best ecommerce platform. My last such search I devoted almost a month to research and testing the various platforms.

I was determined to move away from XC for good, due to the confusion over v5 and the hassle created by xpayments. After exhaustively testing and researching every solution I could find, I came back home to my beloved XC after all. We have a love/hate relationship, but it has certainly been a lasting one.

Maybe I will never doubt you again XC, we'll see.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.

The following user thanks totaltec for this useful post:
ambal (10-11-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 11:57 AM

X-Man

I like C.S. Cart too. The best e-commerce could be a join between XC and CS. Both are offering great features. What I said is a joke, both are completely different as core (procedural - OOP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaltec
From time to time, I embark on the mission of finding the best ecommerce platform. My last such search I devoted almost a month to research and testing the various platforms.

I was determined to move away from XC for good, due to the confusion over v5 and the hassle created by xpayments. After exhaustively testing and researching every solution I could find, I came back home to my beloved XC after all. We have a love/hate relationship, but it has certainly been a lasting one.

Maybe I will never doubt you again XC, we'll see.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com
Old 09-15-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Seems you have not seen XC 4.4.x branch which is out for over a year. Oh and XC upgrades never overwrite or modify customizations to files
I'm still getting into X-Cart, so no I haven't seen it. Where would be the best location to read more about it?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:28 AM

Veteran

x-cart.com
http://help.qtmsoft.com/index.php?title=X-Cart:User_manual_contents
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project