Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Using xcart as a stores management tool

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 06-25-2010, 11:37 PM

X-Adept

Default Using xcart as a stores management tool

Hi,

I have been looking at using xcart for a stock control & reporting purpose.

1) I want to make it that users have to login to use/view the system (this is not cast in stone as yet, only once it is adopted)

2) Obviously not selling but will use the checkout feature to send a report to the department email, one to the spares ordering, and one to the manager.

I was looking to adapt gift voucher as a job card, and adapt purchase order to use the shift report header

3) It will initially be used just for one maintenance department if it can be done

4) Login to expire after 1/2hr inactivity (will use Image Verification to stop them saving the login)

I know there are other options 1 being Access as the company uses this but it is getting people to use it who are not computer friendly. It's not easy for those who are tbh

Even the dinosaurs I work with will use a shopping cart but anything more is too much effort. [this is why I want the login to view otherwise they would just look where the item is and take it out without going any further]

Any thoughts would be appreciated, the version I have downloaded for evaluation for this purpose is 4.3.2 would probably go 4.4 later as x-config would aid in making up job sheets.

Cheers (& c'mon England)
2.4.6-31.el7.centos

4.6.x stalled for now

5.2.6 developing
Old 06-28-2010, 05:54 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: Using xcart as a stores management tool

Hi Kevfromwiganinlancashire,

My understanding is that you want:
1) do not display products to anonymous visitors of your web-site
2) do not charge customers upon checkout, but collect their orders sent as e-mails to some particular addresses.
3) customers session is to expire in half an hour of inactivity

So the 1st one can done using X-Cart Membership levels- set all products as accessible by users with a particular membership, then assign that membership to all new customers accounts. As result anonymous visitors will see no products in your store until they register an account and/or login.

The 2nd one - do not use payment gateway integrations, rename "phone ordering" (or create a new) into some payment method you want to have for that. Set e-mail addresses you want to have as orders dept. and X-Cart will send e-mails upon a customer places an order using the payment method without actual payment. I guess you are going to collect payments somehow else.

The 3rd -
Requires a small customization, i.e. setting shorter session life time for customers account after login.

Also, I am not sure about this:
> I was looking to adapt gift voucher as a job card, and adapt purchase
> order to use the shift report header
>
> 3) It will initially be used just for one maintenance department if it
> can be done

Please elaborate a bit more.

Alex
X-Payments product manager
Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM

X-Adept

Hello ambal,

Thanks for the reply,

To be a bit clearer, I have used xcart for short while now just as a kind of database for car accessories but only for my benefit and part time [not critical]

This year I have set up a working store and obviously I get various email reports.

I have been off work for nearly a year and have returned on short hours and light duties. I was asked to redo our maintenance stores & recording of items.

I originally used Excel about 4 yrs ago, we had a new manager who started to use Access & deleted the Excel files, we are always running out of stock because people don't always reorder on the requisition sheets.

So I have proposed using X-Cart for this for a few reasons,
1) once installed easyish to maintain.
2) It's a shopping system which some if not all of the people might use.
3) It has a lot of reporting features built in.
4) And a pretty good search facility.

1) Using memberships, I had thought of that you just confirmed it thanks.

2) I was going to use the purchase order comment section as a shift report which would generate an email with 1) the stock used & 2) the remaining stock

3) I would rename and use the Wish List as a work order form where adding items is actually listing parts required for a job and the work required

4) I would use the Gift Certificate renamed of course ie Job card which would when used reduce our stock inventory and notify our administrators of the Job's status

5) Every 3000 hrs we have certain services that count 3000hrs, 6000hrs, and 12000hrs (9000hrs is a 3000hrs service) that is why I was looking at x-configurator as these different services compile different items as a kit.

Initially it will not be accessable by the internet, just possibly 3 pc's with xcart maybe on company server or even one of the 3 pc's.

If it works it could possibly go on the company intranet, but that's a way off yet.

I may need more treatment yet, if that happens this may either go by the board or help keep me from boredom

If it is still only "as clear as mud" I will try to break each section down for you.

Regards,

Kev
2.4.6-31.el7.centos

4.6.x stalled for now

5.2.6 developing
Old 07-05-2010, 05:53 AM

X-Cart team

Not sure I got your idea right. I believe the problem is that I do not realize your business logic. However, you are welcome to ask any questions should you have them!
X-Payments product manager
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project