Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Individual Title + Meta for products

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 05-24-2004, 09:05 AM

Advanced Member

Default Individual Title + Meta for products

Does anyone know if there has been any solution created to allow us to give title tags and meta to each product? The only thing I have seen is Funkydunk's "total meta tag control" mod (http://forum.x-cart.com/viewtopic.php?t=3703) and that pertains to categories rather than products. I've searched through the forums and have only seen people inquiring about this, rather than any solutions. Have I missed them or is individual control of the title/meta tags really not an issue for everyone here?

My store has always gotten the bulk of its traffic from search engine results because we spend an increasing amount of effort on keeping the title (and meta) tags up to date for each product. If the ability to do this were lost using X-Cart... I wouldn't even want to imagine the traffic and customers that could be lost.

Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2004, 10:42 AM

All you have to do is edit meta.tpl and home.tpl

In meta.tpl put something like

{if $main eq "product"}put meta tags here, i believe the product info is {$product.descr} for example{/if}
Old 05-24-2004, 11:13 AM

Advanced Member

If I understand correctly, doing that would take the universal meta.tpl file, and add an IF statement that would display the product information (for example) in the meta?

What I need to be able to do is enter unique information different from anything that is entered in my store. (For instance, certain marketing-like words would be overly akward in my product description or name, yet they improve SE ranking and are appropriate in the title tag) The meta is an important issue as well, but the unique title tags are absolutely essential.

Note: I am using version 3.4.14
Old 05-25-2004, 02:26 PM

Advanced Member

Default solved!

CartMods.com was able to quickly create a mod that did this for me. Hopefully they'll add it as one of their standard mods, but if not, I would highly suggest contacting them and asking for this one. Having encountered so many unhelpful online businesses, it was a refreshing experience to deal with such prompt and polite people!

I now have the ability to set a unique title, meta keywords, and meta description for each product. This is absolutely invaluable for good search engine rankings, and EVERY cart should be able to do this.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:35 PM

X-Adept

This is awsome We have actually been looking for this ourselves!
Old 05-25-2004, 08:43 PM

I just added the mod to our site

Remember everyone because you are members of this forum you get a 15% discount. Just enter 'xcart_forums' for the coupon name.

But make sure you use this offer before the end of may, after that the coupon will no longer be available.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:01 AM

X-Adept

I just grabbed a couple add-ons from you Mod King, can't wait to get them goin. I'd also like to thank you for making your prices fair and affordable; I'll definitely be back.
--------------------
Old 05-31-2004, 08:09 PM

are you talking about a mod like what I have on my site www.walkerconsulting.net ?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:38 AM

X-Adept

I was told that the meta tag is already in the new version 4+, but I don't believe it offers individual meta tags for each item, but rather the same accross the board. Can anyone advise how to make them individual in the new version, if possible? Thanks.
--------------------
Old 09-01-2004, 02:35 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
{if $main eq "product"}put meta tags here, i believe the product info is {$product.descr} for example{/if}

I want to put description as

{if $main eq"product"}
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="{$product.product}">
{/if}

However, I am confused about {$product.product}, that code doesn't work (I think!) I tried code for product id and it showd perfect, but I want to show product title there, and above code doesn't work.

What should I put up there?

Thanks
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design