Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 4.2 beta testing

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 AM

Default Re: X-Cart 4.2 beta testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
4.1 was stable at 4.1.9, 4.0. was stable at 4.0.18 - so I'm guessing it will be later than Nov 27th
I think he mean an official "release", not as beta but 4.2.0 probably not marked as stable, but still official so you can use it publicly building a shop (on your own risk).

And for stability, I must say this beta has shown to be remarkbly stable, some issues yes but no real show stoppers, so I put my $$ on 4.2.4 being th one marked stable It's a nice sequence of numbers btw, 4 being the number for stability, 2 for progress through exchange, and it all adds up to 10 the number of completion - so we'll all get rich from building shops on 4.2.4
Old 11-19-2008, 11:33 AM

X-Adept

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

We are developing a new site and do not expect to be anywhere near done by 11/27, so I thought it would be easiest to build on and upgrade from the beta.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Veteran

I'd advise against that. Not only will many the third party add-ons not be ready anytime soon, there are bound to be numerous upgrades which will just cause you numerous headaches to manually patch. Once you edit a file, it usually means you have to manually patch it.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:42 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim
I think he mean an official "release", not as beta but 4.2.0 probably not marked as stable, but still official so you can use it publicly building a shop (on your own risk).

And for stability, I must say this beta has shown to be remarkbly stable, some issues yes but no real show stoppers, so I put my $$ on 4.2.4 being th one marked stable It's a nice sequence of numbers btw, 4 being the number for stability, 2 for progress through exchange, and it all adds up to 10 the number of completion - so we'll all get rich from building shops on 4.2.4

Hehe - unless one has a Chinese background then 4 = death (starting dead and ending dead)... numbers are cultural - lol
But nice analogy (just adding comment for humour's sake).

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 11-19-2008, 11:14 PM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim

First of all I would like to say that there will be no more "stable" and "development" releases. A product is to be stable when it has been released in the first place. That's why we are working hard on testing 4.2 and started 4.2 beta testing.

As for the "official" release date, it will be either the 28th of November or first days of December, provided no vast bugs are found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.barber
So will there be an upgrade pack to take 4.1 users to 4.2 and will I have to do a lot of diff work to reintroduce all my mods? or will it be easier to install 4.2 on a dev server, do all the work, get the look and feel of the site right and then simply overwrite the live 4.1 install once I am certain everything is working correctly.

There will be no upgrade packs from 4.1 to 4.2, just a database upgrade script. We have decided that due to the number of code changes between 4.1 and 4.2 upgrade packs will be useless and will crash stores in most cases. It will be easier to convert a database, apply a custom skin on a new 4.2 installation and redo custom mods.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:42 AM

Veteran

Quote:
First of all I would like to say that there will be no more "stable" and "development" releases.

Very good to hear, as this will save a ton of headaches
Old 11-20-2008, 02:50 AM

X-Cart team

BTW X-Cart 4.2.x will include the 'SQL cache' functionality that I described in this thread: http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=40093

It means that your 4.2.x will work much quicker if you have many products and enable the cache.

ex-Head of X-Cart Tech Support Department
ex- X-Cart Hosting Manager - X-Cart hosting
ex-X-Cart Technical Support Engineer

Note: For the official guaranteed tech support services please turn to the Customers HelpDesk.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy3
There are 86 postal counties of the UK & Ireland - what is in x-cart is a mix of postal counties, administive boroughs, cities and towns.
Being shopping cart software, the only bit that is of use is where to send our products - so all we need are the postal counties.

For example xcart has both Aberdeen & Aberdeenshire. Aberdeen is a town in the county of Aberdeenshire, it is not a county.

This would be a better list:
http://www.abcounties.co.uk/counties/list.htm

OMG! There are hundreds of pages with "list of UK counties" all over Internet. And almost every page contains a list different from other ones

www.abcounties.co.uk, www.gbet.com, NUTS:UK (level 2)...

Please could you let us have a link to an official UK standard with the correct list of the 86 UK postal counties mentioned in the post?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorer
As for the "official" release date, it will be either the 28th of November or first days of December, provided no vast bugs are found.

Will there be another beta/rc out before release? It's not so productive to test on software that has several bugs found and fixed but fixed version not available for test.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorer
OMG! There are hundreds of pages with "list of UK counties" all over Internet. And almost every page contains a list different from other ones

www.abcounties.co.uk, www.gbet.com, NUTS:UK (level 2)...

Please could you let us have a link to an official UK standard with the correct list of the 86 UK postal counties mentioned in the post?

There isn't one that I know of because officially the UK Post Office doesn't use Counties anymore - just Post Codes.
Most people in the UK still use the County and Post Code on letters & parcels though.
Perhaps it would be better to have Counties as a user input field?

This is probably as good as you are going to find.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Postal-counties-of-the-United-Kingdom

X-Cart Gold Version 4.6.0
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements