Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

modifying price using custom text field

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Default modifying price using custom text field

Hi, I'm considering x-cart for a curtain website. Curtains are complex products to sell requiring up to 5 details (including price per metre calculations, which I believe x-cart doesn't do) before a price can be worked out.

Currently I am skeptical that x-cart is up to the job and I'm certainly not willing to spend $400 until I know it is. If it is capable enough then it needs to allow a lot of configuration of products and it's very unclear from the incredibly sparse documentation that it has enough power in that department (actually, why IS there so little technical documentation?).

I've found and played with your Prodcut Options but notice that Price Modifiers have to be option groups and not user-entered text, such as a simple text field. This seems like a real limitation to me. My customers NEED to be able to enter a width and height from which I can calculate a price, and this doesn't seem like a very advanced feature so I wonder why it's not included with x-cart?

I imagine I can use Custom Text Fields to allow customers to enter the relevant data and then use custom javascript to update the price based on their input. However, I notice x-cart doesn't allow easy adding of javascript to Custom Text Fields (why not??). Anyway, I'm sure I can get the validation JS included on the page somewhere but to make it target and update the price I'd need some documentation which is missing or which I can't find. For instance, the form (orderform) itself has no field for price, so where is the price variable updated and what is the variable/field called?

I'd be very grateful for some help. I've had high hopes for x-cart and would be quite disappointed to find out now that it wimps out on something I consider quite basic. Thanks...
Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: modifying price using custom text field

Quoting from X-Cart manual:
Quote:
Custom text field is an option type that facilitates customization and personalization for product items. It enables customers to provide a detailed description of the options they wish to go with the item. For example, when a customer purchases a product item as a gift for someone else, he or she might want a card to be sent along with it; a custom text field in the list of the item's options would be a nice way to allow the customer to create a custom card message.

Quote:
I imagine I can use Custom Text Fields to allow customers to enter the relevant data and then use custom javascript to update the price based on their input. However, I notice x-cart doesn't allow easy adding of javascript to Custom Text Fields (why not??)
Actually Custom Text Fields' functionality is not for binding them with javascript, as described above initially, unless you add javascript validation code to check for correct dimension input in those fields. I guess it would be better to use additional custom fields in case a product is a curtain, that would display in the product details page, for entering the dimensions.

You will surely need additional custom coding in order to have the customers enter curtain dimensions and calculate the final price, both in the product details template files and in the cart cost calculation script.

The following user thanks vasilis for this useful post:
elaine (10-31-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 AM

Thanks for your reply Vasilis,

Where is the 'cart cost calculation script' ?

And do you know if there is some documentation about this (if not why the hell not?)...
Old 10-31-2012, 02:36 AM

X-Adept

If we are talking about 4.4.x and 4.5.x branches, the main script is "cart.php" and various functions used, included from "include\func\func.cart.php" script, which actually has all the cart calculation functions.
Unfortunately there is no any released documentation for X-Cart programming. This question has been asked quite a few times, one has to find his way through x-cart code by himself, crossing information from the forum threads (eg subforum "Program Logic" and others).

The following user thanks vasilis for this useful post:
elaine (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 03:12 AM

many thanks Vasilis. I'll look at those scripts.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:34 AM

X-Adept

If you need any customization on this, feel free to contact me.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 AM

X-Wizard

We have done this to our customers for Blinds products. The admin can define the price sheets and groups from the admin panel and the price is calculated dynamically based on the values entered by the customer (height and width).

Drop an email to sales@mercuryminds.com if you need details/references.
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project