X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 02-06-2013, 02:11 AM

eXpert

Default Re: X-Cart Ability Template v4.4.x

will ability 4.4.5 work on x-cart 4.5.4
Old 02-18-2013, 04:53 PM

eXpert

Default Trying X-Cart Ability 1.4 on 4.5.5

I have not seen any entries about using Ability 1.4 on X-Cart 4.5.5 so I decided to try it on a test site. I learned right away that patch_install.sql would not work because the config table in 4.5.5 has an extra field compared to prior versions.

I edited patch_install.sql and got it to work but needed to stop there for now. There will likely be other issues that show up.

If you want to try it before an Ability upgrade comes out, you can use my edited patch file. Txt was added to the end to allow me to attach it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt patch_install.edited.sql.txt (105.4 KB, 3 views)

The following user thanks bullfrog for this useful post:
PhilJ (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 AM

X-Guru

Yes, there's a an extra field in the config table, so for the SQL patch, you just to add it on to each xcart_config entry line, eg.

Replace...

Quote:
REPLACE INTO xcart_config VALUES ('abi_sep_1','Theme Options','','Ability_Template',100,'separator','', '','');

With

Quote:
REPLACE INTO xcart_config VALUES ('abi_sep_1','Theme Options','','Ability_Template',100,'separator','', '','','');

If anyone wants the new v455 patch, just get in touch.

Also in v455, they took out the ability to use PHP tags in Smarty (security reasons?). If you want that back...

include/templater/templater.php

Replace...

Quote:
'PHP_TAGS' => false,

With...

Quote:
'PHP_TAGS' => true,

I think there's other smarty modifiers disabled in v455, keep an eye on your error logs.

My advice is to hold off on the v455 upgrade for a short while, unless you really feel you must have it

Or at the very least, clone your store and perform the upgrade on it... not your live store.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 PM

Advanced Member

Greetings,

Does Ability 1.4 work with either Gold or Gold Plus 4.5.3. ?
Is there any difference for the template. I have looked all over but never see anything saying gold or gold plus. So one would think the template will work with either versions?

Sorry I had to ask.

Cheers

For X-cart v5.2.0
1 Business v5.2.6 license <Getting Better>!
1 Banner Mod 5.2.7 license
1 #28 iGoods Template

For X-cart v4.7.0

1 GoldPlus v4 license unused

3 Gold v4 license Unused

A wise man once said it is best to fix the cart instead of trying to use a broken cart. The horse has a very hard time pushing a broken cart!!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 PM

eXpert

I am using Ability (either 1.3 or 1.4, don't recall) with Gold 4.5.3 and X-Payments 1.0.5. I mention the X-Payments version because when I tried 4.5.3 with Ability and X-Payments 1.0.6 payments would be accepted but the customer would not get returned to the store, so I reverted to 1.0.5.

I don't know where the problem lies with 4.5.3 + Ability + 1.0.6. But 4.5.3 + Ability (1.3 or 1.4) + 1.0.5 is working for me. See frognirvana.com.

Anyone know how to easily tell the installed Ability version?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:39 PM

Advanced Member

Anyone know how and where In the Ability templet to put a google button when clicking the checkout button at the top there is no google button. If you click on view cart there is a glutton. I have put a message in Phil site but no response even offering to pay with no contact from him.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 AM

eXpert

Hey Phil,

Do you have instructions for adding the Rich Google Search Results module to the ability theme?

I can't get my head around the patches for it
Ability Theme
CDSEO
xCMS
Abandoned Cart
Food Packaging Scotland
Old 03-07-2013, 04:16 PM

Advanced Member

I could not find it
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 AM

X-Guru

Template news... The Adapt, Ability and Smart templates will not be updated beyond X-Cart v4.5.5, as they will be replaced with a single new fully responsive template, which will be launching early-mid April.

Adapt, Ability and Smart are however open-source from now on, so one license will enable you to use on as many stores as you wish. Prices will be dropped also.

The new template will be compatible with X-Cart Gold, Gold Plus and Platinum and only have 'essential' features included.

With a single template code base, it will be easier to maintain and update to newer X-Cart versions (quality, not quantity).

This is partly brought on by the radical changes in X-Cart lately, but is also necessary so that we can provide better support and updates for customers.

I would be interested to get some feedback on what 'essential' features you think ought to be included in the new template...

Thanks, Phil.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM

eXpert

Default X-Cart Ability Template v4.5.5 ...and BEYOND!

I'm sure each of your customers have their own reasons for using your templates. Our stores do not use animated features (slide shows, etc) because our customer base is older people and we've gotten feedback that the glitz is a turn-off.

What is most important to me is a smooth, seamless, low confusion checkout that is compatible with X-Payments. I use the Altered Cart add-on OPC package on my 4.4 stores, but could not get it to work right on my 4.5.0 store with X-Payments, so I went back to standard X-cart, which sucks. There is too much emphasis on making an account during checkout. Non-account buyers should be default, not the other way around. The 'agree with terms' checkbox is somehow invisible to some customers who complain about not being able to check out. OPC makes that an option, whereas X-Cart checkout does not. If these issues are beyond your template making, please excuse my rant.

The image area of product pages needs to be proportionately larger. I'm always having to edit templates to make that so. Making it into a simple setting would be a good thing.

You seem to have avoided going to a low-contrast format style. Please do not give into the current style mania of low contrast text, box borders, etc unless you make it easy to change. My sites are for real people, older demographic, not style critics.

Your templates have had lots of color scheme choices. Please continue that.

I like the cufon font setup. Please keep that.

I'm currently waiting for the the 4.5.5 Ability template upgrade. Will the new template be out before that? If so, and it looks good, I make jump to it if I can get another multi-site license. But I really want to start my upgrades asap. The checkout/X-Payments fiasco cost us sales last holiday season, and I want all my sites upgraded this summer.

Thanks for your work.

The following user thanks bullfrog for this useful post:
PhilJ (03-20-2013)
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4