Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 4.5.5 released

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM

X-Guru

Default Re: X-Cart 4.5.5 released

2 steps forward, 3 steps back?

The paid advertising of course can be commented out. BUT WHY?
Now, wouldn't it be crazy if X-Cart started selling banner ads in the admin, and competing carts started advertising? What would even be more outrageous: if the revenue from click-throughs from ads in the admin overtook software sales. Now that's a business model for ya!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
I have huge 2CheckOut commercial ad banner on payment methods page in admin

Bestsellers still depends on Adv Statistics module we all know this module must stay off or the cart is a snail... Bestsellers should depend on actual orders not on statistics. Something is a bestseller not because its page was viewed 1000000 times but because it was bought 1000000 times...

I also did a clean install. I haven't seen any major issues yet, but I haven't had a chance to really explore much.

I currently see a PayPal ad in my payment methods area.

I have never cared for the Bestsellers module as implemented by QT. I changed the mod to be dependent on actual sales and I had it working in 4.4.3 (http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=60906). I plan to use it in 4.5.5 as well. I'm sure I will have to make some tweaks to make it work in this newer version.
BCSE Customer Review Management Mod
BCSE Catalog Order Form Mod
X-Cart Gold 4.5.2 (Building/Testing)
USA
Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillsybte
I have never cared for the Bestsellers module as implemented by QT. I changed the mod to be dependent on actual sales and I had it working in 4.4.3

Exactly my point - the way this module is in XC - useless and not representing bestsellers at all
Old 02-27-2013, 03:12 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Exactly my point - the way this module is in XC - useless and not representing bestsellers at all
Agreed. Bestsellers requires Advanced Statistics and even X-Cart recommends turning it off and an alternative:
Quote:
This module significantly slows down X-Cart when storing statistic data in the database. ... A good alternative to the "Advanced Statistics" module is the "Google Analytics" module...
Why even have it? I don't know many people that find its reports useful so all it's good for is Bestsellers but not at the expense of performance so we turn that module off too.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM

Veteran

So playing an upgrade now - apparently you cannot upgrade to 4.5.5 just by using the patch.sql anymore. So using older version and got it to 4.5.0. With previous upgrade you can just apply the sql patch to 4.5.x and then run the install, set the db and provide blowfish key... Seems like this is not the case anymore. The sql patch 4.5.0->4.5.5 takes the db to 4.5.4 only. There is patch_post.php that further changes the db and config.php. Using that manually upgrade db with already installed 4.5.5 does not allow me to login to admin even after changing all new security variables and constants in config.php Also an email send form the system to activate suspended admin account takes me to customer side of the cart....

I don't know to cry or to smile .....

Ok so I will install 4.5.0 and run the upgrade from within....
Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
I don't know to cry or to smile .....

Steve, did you follow my personal thread (rant) on my 4.5.4 to 4.5.5 process?
http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=66211

I too am wondering about the final database patch - since for a store that is active and can't shut down the store for more than a few minutes, the professional development method is to upgrade into a dev directory for configuration and testing, right? This process can take hours or days (or God forbid, weeks). AT some point, the dev store is (hopefully) ready for production, so a final "upgrade the production database to 4.5.5" must happen. It must happen in a few moments, with no risk of errors. This final database upgrade must be tested on a clone.
Until the "new and improved" upgrade method was introduced for this 4.5.5 version, we "simply" ran the patch.sql and that was that.

WHO WAS THE ROCKET SCIENTIST that thought this was a good idea?

Has X-Cart been taken over by aliens?
Where are the engineers that made reasonably good choices for most procedures over the years?
Did all the smart guys go to Lite Commerce?

Seriously, how will I do the final "apply the sql patch" to the production database at the last moment before taking the 4.5.5 store live?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM

Veteran

Yes I've been following your saga on this upgrade but had nothgn to comment on it since I did not try any v. to 4.5.5 yet.

So now this is same old db 4.2.3 upgraded to 4.5.0 simply by running the sql patch in phpmyadmin. Then I installed fresh 4.5.0 and connected the db to it. All good. Logged in admin and ran the upgrade 4.5.0 -> 4.5.5 from there. Stock files so everything got green OK and processed just fine. This is what is ran by the upgrade script after all the files are patched and the db is pacthed

Quote:
SQL PATCH: ``patch.sql'' applied successfully
The database was successfully patched !
Converting the xcart_customers structure ...
Converting the xcart_config structure ...
Converting the xcart_ppa structure ...
AFTER-PATCH was applied successfully.
Updating DB version info.

Note all "converting" tasks after the db sql patch. So my guess here is - if you want to upgrade to 4.5.5 - you have to run store upgrade from earlier 4.5.x version....

I don't really like this. Forget about what Jeremy described as post-upgrade-testing process - you have to go through either installing 4.5.x version to upgrade the db or use the live store to do that (if that live store is on 4.5.x)....

I now have fully converted db to 4.5.5 the way it should be so I can move it to the previously installed 4.5.5 store, and copy its config.php as well of course... or just use this new fully upgraded 4.5.0 store....

I was able to log out and log back in, all data seems to in there, so looks like all ok, the store front shows ok and login works.

I have not fully tested yet if everything works ok and with the new security features in effect.... By the way - the fresh 4.5.5 asks about to turn on/off these new security features - the upgrade does not and sets some of them to ON - so maybe this is the problem some of you had after the upgrade...

Also just seeing that - the "store closed | open" block that is in the header of 4.4.x and some 4.5.x vesrions and was moved at the bottom in 4.5.4 (a lot of complains about that) is now floating just above the right hand side columns with additonal links in admin...

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
elmirage001 (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 PM

Veteran

I stand behind what I said before - this should not have been 4.5.x upgrade - this release shoudl have been called 4.6.0 and appropriate sql upgrade patch released just like 4.2.3->4.5.0 for example. That way the db will be converted correctly. And will the new security features which are surprise to everybody....

And if it was released as 4.6.0 with same files structure as 4.5.x with woudl have been even easier to upgrade to it from 4.5.x....

The following 2 users thank cflsystems for this useful post:
carpeperdiem (02-27-2013), GreenDaze Hydro (03-15-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
this should not have been 4.5.x upgrade - this release shoudl have been called 4.6.0 [/color]

Bingo.
Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding
Winner.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 PM

Veteran

One other thing I would like to see fixed in XC is price round. XC incorrectly rounds numbers. I had this in 4.5.2 store so it is on 4.5.5 as well

price $68.61
shipping $13.99
total taxable $82.60
tax $82.60 @ 7.5% = $6.195

XC rounds this down to $6.19 and total becomes $88.79 when it should be $88.80. Yes it is $0.01 which is nothing but 1) throws out accounting as the accounting software correctly calculated $6.20 and 2) when you have many orders like this it becomes a real problem

XC should really use 3 digits after decimal point at all times for calculations and in saved in db and do proper roundup/down

1.4 should be 1
1.5 should be 2
1.6 should be 2
Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements